Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#358329 - 02/14/08 03:29 PM If you build it, they will come. *****
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
W/ money rolling in from Memorial Stadium/AFH/Big 12/Border WAR/teevee, it is simply embarrassing that the KU Athletics only supports the minimum number of Division 1 programs. We're better than that. Missoura/Iowa State/Okie State let alone the Big Boys (UNL/OU/UT/aTm) all support more than the minimum number. It is time for an expansion. Priority number one is to bring back the men's swimming/diving program. After that, though, we ought to be creative. The answer is hockey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_hockey

Looking at the success of UNO/UofDenver/Colorado College hockey programs and given the lack of any professional winter sports in KC, the time has come to build a 6000 seat hockey barn in Village West. I guarantteeya that on Friday nights that place would be packed. Sweet Lew has a history w/ this. He brought hockey to UConn. It's time for the same in eastern Kansas.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#358330 - 02/14/08 07:11 PM Re: If you build it, they will come. [Re: John_Brown]
SurfinJhawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: HB - Surf City
I always thought that it was damn shame KU doesn't have a Men's soccer team. Kansas has some of the best club soccer teams in the country and there should be no reason that KU doesn't have one of the best Men's soccer programs around.

#358331 - 02/16/08 09:18 PM Re: If you build it, they will come. [Re: SurfinJhawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

I'll have to disagree with men's swimming ...

Hockey would be a GREAT idea, I know someone who used to play on the club team, and/or promote men's soccer!

and we ARE better than Iowa State - we have baseball, they DON'T!!

(poor saps)

#358332 - 02/17/08 12:14 AM Re: If you build it, they will come. [Re: sevenyearhawk]
kujerseygirl Offline
Julia Ward Howe

Loc: Abilene, Texas
Who would KU play against in soccer as far as conference opponents are concerned? There are no Big 12 men's soccer teams at all. Makes it a little difficult.

I would like to see the swimming and diving come back. I think hockey would be a better choice, but that would run into the same problem that soccer has with no other conference teams.

I know that many of the big 12 schools have club teams in both of these sports, and a good friend of mine used to play on the men's soccer team. They were pretty good as a club team. Imagine what they could do with department support.

#358333 - 02/17/08 07:51 AM Re: If you build it, they will come. [Re: kujerseygirl]
bighawk84 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: USA
"I think hockey would be a better choice, but that would run into the same problem that soccer has with no other conference teams."

Just think of how many conference trophies we could pile up then!

#358334 - 02/18/08 03:42 AM Re: If you build it, they will come. [Re: kujerseygirl]
SurfinJhawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: HB - Surf City
Quote:

Who would KU play against in soccer as far as conference opponents are concerned? There are no Big 12 men's soccer teams at all. Makes it a little difficult.

I would like to see the swimming and diving come back. I think hockey would be a better choice, but that would run into the same problem that soccer has with no other conference teams.

I know that many of the big 12 schools have club teams in both of these sports, and a good friend of mine used to play on the men's soccer team. They were pretty good as a club team. Imagine what they could do with department support.

I agree with you that it would make it difficult as far as conference games. I didn't even realize alot of the schools didn't have NCAA teams. That's just a shame. As far as the club stuff, it's not even close to what they would be like as an NCAA team - I played a scrimage in highschool against the KU club team and it was pretty much a joke. UMKC has a good team and there are alot of good D-1 programs around the midwest, why don't more of the big schools have teams?

#358335 - 02/18/08 08:48 PM Re: If you build it, they will come. [Re: SurfinJhawk]
bighawk84 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: USA
How about a KU Bob Sled team!

#358336 - 02/19/08 08:04 AM Re: If you build it, they will come. [Re: bighawk84]
kujerseygirl Offline
Julia Ward Howe

Loc: Abilene, Texas
I don't know why the big 12 doesn't have men's soccer or hockey either. I just don't like that the football team is held to the Title IX standards for number of scholarships. I know that has a lot to do with it.

#358337 - 02/21/08 04:19 PM Only reason I suggest hockey.... [Re: bighawk84]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
is that it is the most likely to become revenue generating. UN-Omaha has averaged 8000 folks per game. The UofDenver has seen similar results. UofNDakota makes more cash from hockey than it does from MBB. All of those institutions are w/in 500 miles of Lawrence. And if you built the barn in Village West and have it become KC's wintertime sport, I'll guarantteeya that it will generate more revenue than any of those institutions. Since our current Chancellor favors anything that identifies KU as KC's University, I see no reason not to plop it down in Village West.

As far as Men's Swimming and Diving, I have 4 folks in my immeadiate family who were on swimming schollies at KU and several nephews who would be headed to KU if they still had a program. Killing that program devastated that little part of the KU community. It was shameful on the part of Chancellor Hemenway.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#1995451 - 09/24/15 05:52 PM Re: Only reason I suggest hockey.... [Re: John_Brown]
n00sh Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Bring back men's swimming.

#1996118 - 10/08/15 11:15 AM Re: Only reason I suggest hockey.... [Re: John_Brown]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Club Hockey first, then a varsity team. Does KU have a hockey alumni who wants to pay for the program to start and continue as they cannot support themselves financially?

Title IX debate again. Woman soccer paying for itself?

Preview