Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#288660 - 12/26/07 04:10 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... ** [Re: B_of_H]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Probably my biggest criticism of Coach Williams, other than his lack of East Coast recruiting was the lack of "in-game" adjustments ...

He was bound and determined to have it his way!!

#288661 - 12/26/07 04:16 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

Just for the record:

When the rumors were starting that Roy might leave for UNC, I was talking with my brother in law about possible replacements. I told him that I really liked this guy at Illinois. I said he was charismatic and could obviously recruit - how else do you get great players to come to the University of Illinois. And he wins.

There will always be a knock against Self for not winning a championship. The same thing that was held against Roy, Jim Boeheim and dozens of other top tier programs who were always in the hunt, but never quite there.

#288662 - 12/26/07 04:17 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
Quote:

Probably my biggest criticism of Coach Williams, other than his lack of East Coast recruiting was the lack of "in-game" adjustments ...

how about the pu$$y players? That was what bothered me.

I want guys that will rip your head off and sh!t down your neck then run into the stands and beat your mom to death before peeing on her corpse and spitting in your grandmothers face.

KU is not getting pushed around anymore and I love it.

#288663 - 12/26/07 04:19 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

He didnt need the Alumni qualifactions for you?

My biggest criticism of Roi was the soft ties on big gamedays. Nothing looks tougher than when you spike your jacket on the floor wearing a pink tie.

#288664 - 12/26/07 04:21 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: NotAPuke]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Bill Self has done a good job. Is "good" good enough?

This is the KANSAS JAYHAWKS we're talking about. We have certain expectations. Conference titles are nice, but THEY'RE NOT ENOUGH. Ultimately every coach at Kansas is judged by Final Fours and National Championships.

There are certain facts of life at KU. Like it or not, championships are what really matter. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. It means we have a great program. I'll let the Mizery fans get all excited about a good conference season once in a while. I want more.

20 years between NCAA Titles is too long already. I'm ready for another big party!

I think Bill can do it, but he needs to CONSISTENTLY GO DEEP INTO MARCH before I will declare my love for the man. That doesn't mean I don't like him either. It's about getting the job done.

Clearly this is a year he has the tools to go deep. I'm anxious to see how he does. I hope he KICKS A__!

#288665 - 12/26/07 04:24 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

I will give you that ... Glenn Robinson with Purdue in the 1994(?) Elite Eight(?) is a PERFECT example of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4pK5HthN10&feature=related

Sweet Sixteen, damn I was close, and that was off the top of my head ... take THAT all of you who say I don't like hoops!!!

#288666 - 12/26/07 04:30 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
Quote:

people who like football more than basketball have sh!t for brains IMO.

Ah yes....everyone is stupid but me.

#288667 - 12/26/07 04:33 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

I want guys that will rip your head off and sh!t down your neck then run into the stands and beat your mom to death before peeing on her corpse and spitting in your grandmothers face.

While I'm not sure I agree with your metaphor, I do agree with the point you're making. We do have a team that is much tougher than we used to. We don't get pushed around any more. I like being able to play with some muscle, especially when the refs are letting things get out of hand. Those were games that Roy's teams struggled the most in.

Objectively we've given up some offense in trade. We aren't as explosive as we once were. The primary way we go on a big run now is by getting a lot of steals. When teams have really good guards, we struggle to go on a significant run.

D#$n it! I WANT BOTH. I'M FREEKIN GREEDY.

I want a team that can physically overpower an opponent AND play with seeming poetry while shooting lights out.

It wouldn't hurt if we could hit some freethrows too!

/rant off

#288668 - 12/26/07 05:53 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
I've taken this F*n thread as long as I can.
B_of_H got it right.
Friend of mine and occasional poster here was p!ssed the first time Roi didn't quit because Self was available.
What I have seen of Self's players is exactly what all the fans seem to think they are entitled to, Tough, good, winning Basketball.
If you think National Titles are our birthright you F*n dreaming.
It just isn't that easy anymore.
The days of having Sam Gilbert buy you 11 National titles is gone.
We don't play in the ACC. Or for that matter the Big Ten.
Or the Big East.
The guy is doing a H3ll of a job keeping us near the top of the heap.
This group has the best shot at a National Title since Jacques and that bunch and they ended up being too soft.
This bunch may lose but it won't be because they're soft.
Last year's team didn't lose because they were soft.
The Man can F*n Coach hoop and you need to be damn glad he's here.
'Nough said.

#288669 - 12/26/07 05:56 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Quote:

Quote:

Post of the week!

#288670 - 12/26/07 05:56 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
Quote:

Quote:

people who like football more than basketball have sh!t for brains IMO.

Ah yes....everyone is stupid but me.

lol

that was a joke directed at sevenyear hawk who cares about football above basketball.

Please try to read between the lines.

#288671 - 12/27/07 09:58 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: Geezer]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
It would be in HCBS's best interest to get this years team into the last weekend of the big tournament at the end of the season. If he doesn't get us there this season, then when. The next couple of seasons could be sort of a rebuilding and retooling by our standards.

This is season 5 of the HCBS era. He probably shouldn't go 7, 8, 9 years before he takes his first KU team to the FF and beyond.

#288672 - 12/27/07 04:50 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: MICHHAWK]
TrueBlue Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Lawrence
Bad losses by coach Williams out of conference. So, about every other year some one jumped up and bit us.

Ball State
Saint Louis
Hawaii
Rhose Island
Temple (2 times)
Long Beach State
Texas El Paso
Miami (of 1989)

#288673 - 12/27/07 05:31 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: TrueBlue]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

but those were balanced out by four Final Four appearances ...

I'm just sayin'

#288674 - 12/27/07 06:13 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
7 I really don't care why you don't like Self.
We are undefeated, ranked 3rd in the country and have a great shot at the National title.
If you don't care for some aspect of that I can't help you.
If you would prefer Roi back with his system and the right way to play fine.
I am sick of soft KU Hoop and I've seen Self change that.
I want a team that can play full contact basketball not one waiting on a whistle.
I'll miss RR when he graduates.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Preview