Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#288645 - 12/25/07 07:06 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... ** [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

OK, loathe might have been too strong a word!

but as hairbrained as may ideas are, I've stuck to my commitment, would you rather I waffle and hop on the bandwagon the minute the basketball team gets past the first round ...

Would you?!?

I don't seriously think Coach Self will leave Kansas for Okie State, but having an alumnus precludes this from EVER being used against us in recruitment.

Nor do I think Coach Turgeon will come here now, either ...

While I have all of these other campaigns, theories, ideas and opinions ...

Name one time, JUST ONE, when I've asked any one else to buy into my disdain of Self?

You cannot!!!

Also, I own several Web domains:

www.beakem.org (and a few variants)

www.dontdrinkbud.com (this will ramp up soon)

www.sevenyearhawk.com (a defensive move)

www.arrowheadarmageddon.com (just because)

Noticeably absent from this list:
www.firebillself.com

I've thought about it, but it would be futile ...

I have NEVER, EVER criticized the team, the players, or anyone who supports Coach Self, have I?

I am entitled to my opinion, you are entitled to yours, we all love the University of Kansas ... I just happen to express it in a very strange and fanatical way!

I have "double secret" campaign underway, that got a huge boost today, and it will be quietly implemented in the coming months ...

Edited by sevenyearhawk (12/25/07 07:09 PM)

#288646 - 12/25/07 09:11 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
Hey, I have zero problem w/ you not liking Coach Self. To each his own.

But, IMO, if you say Self is no good then you also must say the same about Roy. Self and Roy have a similar winning % while at KU. Now, obvisouly Roy sustained that at KU longer, but he also never delivered a title in all those years. I'll bet my right pinky that, if Bill is at KU as long as Roy was, he will have a similar winning %, more conference titles and he'll win a NC.

#288647 - 12/25/07 09:40 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: On the sofa
7year,
In general I agree with you on things you post, but this......

Can't do it. Yes it's fine to have your own opinion, yes, you don't come right out and try to "sway" people into hating Self.

But to post a rant on a coach that has won 3 conference titles in 4 years, 2 Big 12 tourney titles, 2 Elite Eights and currently 12-0 with the number 3 ranked team in the country is pushing it.

Yes Roy hit 1 FF in his first four years, but if you look at the other 3, not so "good" by using your criteria for judging Self: Two 2nd round exits (with a #1 seed and a #2 seed) and in 1989 even if we were not on probation, IMO we don't make the NCAAs with a 19-12 record and finishing sixth in the Big 8.

I always hate and make fun of other schools when their fan base have ridiculous expectations and try to act like they need a new coach despite having a good year. You are being no better at this time on this.

#288648 - 12/26/07 07:29 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
I have no problem with the fact that anyone might not like coach Self, I'm just curious as to why you chose this time to express your dislike? What has occurred this season to inspire you to post your original message?
Did you have the same reaction towards coach Williams when he lost to UTEP? Self isn't the only coach to lose to a lesser team. In a single game elimination tournament you will probably get beat eventually, just like Williams did, every year he was here.

#288649 - 12/26/07 08:10 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: jammahawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
I felt it was time for me to chime in. I was not thrilled when Roy left and KU hired Bill. I have met both men and each was as kind as can be. In terms of personalities both gentlemen rate an A in my book. In terms of coaching ability I was harsh on Self. I came to ealize that most great coaches did not or have not won National Championships in their first ten years of coaching. Self has done pretty well in getting to the elite eight multiple times. Sure there were the Bradley and Bucknell debacles but tell me a great coach who never had a let down in the tournament? I am not saying I think Self is a great coach because I don't think he is. I do think he is very good one and we are fortunate to have him. Sure there may be 10 guys I would rather have but there are hundreds I would rather have Self than. I think we all will be pleased with Coach Self if we win the National Championship this year - won't we? Even if we don't and get to the Final Four I will still be proud of him and the team. Now if we get knoocked out early (sweet 16 or sooner) I will not be at all pleased and just MAY jump off the Self Bandwagon. It would be foolish and wrong of me but I would still probably jump off until at least the start od next season and then jump back on.

Edited by larryb (12/26/07 08:44 AM)

#288650 - 12/26/07 09:49 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: larryb]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I have supported the Self hire since the git-go. Despite the aforementioned bad losses, he is the "winningest" active coach in the country.
My support for him is/was not without reservation...anyone who allows their name into association for a position at Misery should probably be automatically disqualified from consideration for a throne at KU.
In the spirit of the season I attempt to forgive and forget that blemish on an otherwise lustrous coaching resume. I got the forgive part down, but I'm having trouble with the forget part.
Or, is it the other way around?

www.cappersoverlay.com

#288651 - 12/26/07 12:31 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: jammahawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

I have no problem with the fact that anyone might not like coach Self, I'm just curious as to why you chose this time to express your dislike?

Something was said in another thread, and I just wanted to address it; nothing in particular happened with the program to set me off ...

If many would recall, I also took the time to look up the data on our total program wins from the last seven years (a pure coincidence) and provide them to someone to create a projection for when we'll pass UNC and Kentucky in total wins.

I take time and make an effort for the basketball team, just not as much as for the football team ... it is just how I've become wired!

#288652 - 12/26/07 02:57 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
I was not enamored with the hire at the time. And nothing to date has really transpired to make me fall in love with the guy. I am luke warm where HCBS is concerned.

#288653 - 12/26/07 03:14 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: MICHHAWK]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
I couldn't be more happy with HCBS. The loss to Bradley hurt but bucknell was not a product of coaching. We just had some wimpy roy williams players trying to play grown up mens basketball.

some of you should just become unc gheys and leave KU alone. We plays hard nosed mens basketball now and I never want to return to the wimpy, limp wristed crap that roy williams preaches.

#288654 - 12/26/07 03:18 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

holy sh!t ... I hate the pUNCs worse than I do the Tiggers ...

At least we get to have a crack at them every year!!

If Kansas were to play UNC in ANY sport, I'd walk there on bloody stumps to cheer the Hawks on!!!!!!

I don't miss Coach Williams, and watching him win the NCAA tourney was like watching your ex-wife win the f*cking lottery!

it honestly and literally made me sick at my stomach!!!

#288655 - 12/26/07 03:25 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Well your timeing is lousy, 12-0 start and a #3 ranking. Calling out the coach at this time, makes as much since as telling your girlfriend about breast implants before you've had a chance to take her originals out for a test drive.

#288656 - 12/26/07 03:34 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: jammahawk]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Quote:

Well your timeing is lousy, 12-0 start and a #3 ranking. Calling out the coach at this time, makes as much since as telling your girlfriend about breast implants before you've had a chance to take her originals out for a test drive.

people who like football more than basketball have sh!t for brains IMO.

sevenyear backs up this theory.

#288657 - 12/26/07 03:36 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

well, hmmm ...

"I have no response to that!"

Meg Ryan, Joe Versus the Volcano

#288658 - 12/26/07 03:40 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: jammahawk]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I watched a replay of the 81 UNC v UK game on MASN the other night (I obviously have no life). One thing really stood out...UNC was awful against UK's zone. Joe B Hall switched to a man defense and UNC went off. Reminded me of how to beat Roy's teams at KU, slow it down and play zone. Also noticed that Michael Jordan couldn't hit the ocean from a row boat for most of the game. Matt Doherty kept UNC in it during the first half. Dean used a lot more zone and trapping than Roy ever did at KU. Roy looked like a young pup on the UNC bench, Dean and Fogler did most of the coaching.

Why bring this up? Bill Self coaches to the talents of his team. Roy always tried to fit round pegs into square holes (see Paul Pierce). I don't think Self is a genius, but I do think he is the right fit for KU.

#288659 - 12/26/07 04:07 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: NotAPuke]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

nice post 'notapuke'.

HCBS is building teams that have no real apparent weaknesses. Roys teams were always succeptable to methodical yet tough and physical teams and/or teams that played zone.

I like being the team that frustrates other teams with physical play and tenacious D...rather than being on the other end and hoping to outscore teams.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Preview