Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#288630 - 12/25/07 06:49 AM Why I don't like Coach Self ... **
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

I didn't want to respond to this in the Toby Keith thread, because that is so damned long already ...

Quite simply, I did not like the initial hire of Coach Self.

I'd hoped that after the debacle of losing Coach Williams to UNC, that we, ourselves, would have decided to choose an alumnus lead our program ... for the first time since the mid-1950s under Coach Phog Allen!

I started an online petition for Mark Turgeon, which about 40-50 people signed, I can post the original text later.

So Coach Self arrives, I did not choose to participate in the big lovefest, I waited to pass judgment ...

It was an interesting first year, problems with the attitude of the players, some defections ... which is understandable in any situation like that.

The Ga Tech elite eight overtime game loss, close but no cigar ... that's fine, the team played a helluva game.

But then, BUT THEN ... the losses to mid-majors at home starts: I don't recall the exact order but: Richmond, Nevada, Oral Roberts, etc, etc!

... and of course, Bucknell and Bradley!!

I know, Coach Williams lost to Long Beach State (coached then by now current Va Tech coach) and UTEP and Rhode Island ... but Coach Williams also had a couple early Final Fours to his credit, and eventually added two more ...

Do I want Coach Williams back, NO!!!!!!

Why keep someone here who longingly looks elsewhere, all the more reason to have our own alum at the helm!

Why the affinity for Coach Mangino, it is difficult to say, that photo I posted was from fairly early on, not a recent one, so I didn't just hop on the bandwagon ...

I rode the Greyhound bus to Lubbock long before they had many quality wins on the road.

I guess I just relate to the Big Guy on many levels: physical appearance, work ethic, personal background, etc ...

It is mere coincidence that my love for KU football blossomed at the same time that my angst for what has happened to our basketball program developed ...

Personally, I feel like the mystique is gone, because of all those losses to "nobodies" ... is my expectation from Coach Self a national title, no ... but a few Final Four runs would begin to turn me around!

Restore the mystique, Coach, please!

#288631 - 12/25/07 09:06 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
georgiahawk Offline
John Brown

Wow. I'm usually on board with your ideas but I'm missing the boat on this one. My assumption is that there is a reason you didn't post this on the bball board. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but this seems sacreligious.

#288632 - 12/25/07 09:13 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Quote:

Why keep someone here who longingly looks elsewhere, all the more reason to have our own alum at the helm!

Where is it that HCBS is "longingly looking"?

IMO, at the time the job became available, there was scant evidence that Mark Turgeon was anywhere near ready to take on a program like Kansas.

#288633 - 12/25/07 09:35 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: Shirley]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
removed by jkealing

Edited by Jonathan_Kealing (01/07/11 03:06 PM)

#288634 - 12/25/07 10:34 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City
This post is proving that Christmas is a hard time for some people. Nice rant. Hope you feel better.

I typically enjoying your posts as well, but this one is on par with your beam em hand sign.

#288635 - 12/25/07 10:49 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: B_of_H]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

You tend towards half-baked notions and then get obsessed with them. First, it's the hand gesture thing. Then, it's "coach as alum".

I don't understand, first of all, why anyone would "loathe" Bill Self. I can understand how some might withhold judgment on him until he gets us to the F4, but "loathe"? Personally speaking, Bill's as good a guy as they come. And I'll guarantee you he's a much nicer man than Mangino or ANY football coach is.

But let's really address the flaw here. Your desire to have an alum as coach is really misguided. I only want an alum for coach if he is the best qualified to lead a great program like KANSAS. PERIOD. Despite your obsessions, Mark Turgeon was nowhere near ready to lead a program like Kansas 5 years ago. For that matter, I'm not sure he is yet! I haven't seen any indication he can recruit at the Major League level yet. We'll see what he does in College Station.

If Mark Turgeon were to retire from coaching and go live as a monk in Tibet, I'm sure you'd transfer your obsessions to Rex Walters and imagine that he is the source of all goodness and if we would but hire him we'd return to the "good old days" Of course, those days weren't always so good.....I seem to remember glorious Jacque never playing in a Final 4 during his whole time at Kansas.

But what is really ridiculous is the handwringing over the odd December loss. So what? We lost to Oral Roberts once. We lost to Richmond once. Losses happen. Grow up. You're the same type of schmuck who waxes rhapsodic about the ultimately meaningless December Indiana win in 1993 as the greatest triumph in Kansas history. It isn't surprising that you get so panicked when you see our team drop A game in December. Coach Roy taught you the greatest triumphs occur before the new year!!!! As for the 2 March wipeouts.....Roy Williams provided us with FAR more.

In closing, please note that we haven't lost yet this year, and have a record of 35-1 (or thereabouts) over the last 30 odd games.

#288636 - 12/25/07 10:49 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: gquinn225]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

I'm both a lunatic and a heretic!!

"You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time." - John Lydgate

Hey, at least I'm attempting to explain myself!

I typed that as I was waiting for the kids to wake up this morning, and now they're playing with their new toys ... and now I'm waiting for my parents to arrive ...

ho ho ho!

#288637 - 12/25/07 10:55 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Yeah, I suspect you relate to Mangino's appearance, etc. That's probably part of your problem with Self. A handsome, friendly man with a lot of charisma probably burns you up on some subconscious level.

#288638 - 12/25/07 11:01 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
It's been a long time since I've seen a post so far off the target as this one. The team is 12-0, ranked #3 in the country, Future NBA players on the team, some great players on the way into the program, and you decide this is the time to go on a rant against the coach.
Had the University chosen to hire Mark Turgeon when we had a open coaching position, I would have been furious, I don't care if you had gathered a paultry 40-50 signatures on a petition.
Please give me an example of when coach Self has ever mentioned any mention of wanting to return to OSU? Self is his own man, he doesn't have a mentor at his ala mater calling him home.
Speak for yourself when you say the mystique is gone from the bball program, there is still no better place to be, than at AFH. Period.

#288639 - 12/25/07 11:03 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: jammahawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Too true, Jamma.

#288640 - 12/25/07 11:52 AM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: jammahawk]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

he doesn't have a mentor at his ala mater calling him home

#288641 - 12/25/07 12:14 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: OREAD]
sensei Offline
[censored] you

Loc: East Lawrence represent!!!
"Quite simply, I did not like the initial hire of Coach Self."

Very compelling argument you got there.

#288642 - 12/25/07 12:16 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sensei]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

And it went downhill from there.......

#288643 - 12/25/07 12:35 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

Quite simply, I did not like the initial hire of Coach Self.

I'd hoped that after the debacle of losing Coach Williams to UNC, that we, ourselves, would have decided to choose an alumnus lead our program ... for the first time since the mid-1950s under Coach Phog Allen!

Genius.

Choose to hate someone based on expectations of something that has never happened in your lifetime and only once in KU basketball history. Beyond hilarious.

#288644 - 12/25/07 02:20 PM Re: Why I don't like Coach Self ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
For the record, I met Self and Roy and Self was ten times the man.

I don't believe Self is the best in the country right now, but I certainly do not "loathe" a guy who has delivered conference titles all but one year at KU and kept KU in the top 20 despite the tough transition from Roy. Coaches who are considered superior have done worse under better situations. You seem to base your hate on Bill losing to a few lesser teams. When I have more time I'll do the research on bad losses by good coaches...and bad losses by Roy Wms. I remember Roy having a couple of outstanding teams and he still didn't deliver the big one. So far, Self has not had what I view an outstnding team. Last year and this year are pretty close. Last year the team was a little young. This year there should be no excuse. He should take them to the F4.

I also think he's overrated as a recruiter and underrated as a coach. You simply can't argue w/ his resume.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Preview