Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22369 - 01/10/07 11:58 AM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: jayhwk01]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
kind of like how Barry will be a first vote HOFer, but McGwire gets crucified by the media and voters. I have to be honest, I don't know much about Cobb or Ruth as I wasn't alive back then. With Rose, however, I have grown up watching him lie, lie, and lie....then fake remorse....then go ahead and mock his own transgressions all in an attempt to undermine the seriousness of what he did. he compromised the integrity of baseball. other guys may have done it, but Rose was caught and he is nothing but a smug, self-promoting SOB. I LOVE what he did on the field, and yes i agree....it is a glaring omission from the hall. I mean sh*t, the freaking hit king isn't enshrined? But i hope he never makes it, anything he did to compromise baseball far overshadows what he did as a player. his only hope is that like Nixon or James Brown, upon his death people forgive what a sorry bastard he was.

#22370 - 01/10/07 12:19 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: jayhawk154]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Having had the opportunity to meet both Ripken Jr. and Gwynn, I can tell you that they are both class acts and this, based on that alone, makes them great votes in my mind.

Their amazing accomplishments are just icing on the cake.

Anyone have any Ripken Jr. or Gwynn memories or stories to pass along? I'd love to see this thread get back on track...

#22371 - 01/10/07 12:21 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: tubby]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Fair enough on not knowing about Cobb or Ruth's era. You should read Cobb's book which is first and formost a good read if you love baseball and very interesting. He was a class a jerk no two ways about it! Not sure I agree with you on Barry. Actually I hope you are wrong becasuse I can't stand him but that is rather hypocritical on my part and I willingly acknowledge that.

#22372 - 01/10/07 12:23 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: jayhawk154]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

yeah i have a ripken story.

so his final road trip to kansas city. the series is chock-full of fans, only so they can say they saw Cal play. i went as well to one of the games. this guy plays in like 99% of his career games, i go to a game his last stop in KC, and he takes the night off! hahahah the whole place is chanting Cal! Cal! Cal! starting in like the 7th inning and then on. but he wasn't even in the stadium, at least he wasn't in the dugout the whole game. oh well!

always have loved that urban legend about him, his wife & costner, and the "electrical failure".

#22373 - 01/10/07 12:55 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: tubby]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
How many HOF have came from KANSAS?

#22374 - 01/10/07 01:33 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: Ike]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

I was about to tell the story about Costner, you kinda beat me to it.

#22375 - 01/10/07 01:41 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: Ike]
Hawk1990 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Shawnee, KS
There have been 200 native born Kansans play major league baseball. Two are in the Hall of Fame, Walter Johnson and Joe Tinker. No HOF managers are from Kansas.

#22376 - 01/10/07 01:43 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: Hawk1990]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

steve jeltz forever!
kevin hooper had a few ABs for the Tigers 2 seasons ago.

#22377 - 01/10/07 01:52 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: jayhawk154]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow

Yeah we kind of hijacked the thread with the whole Pete in the hall thing. Anyway, here is my Cal Jr. story. I was at the game in KC when he broke the world record for consecutive games played. Some player from Japan had previously held the record. Anyway, the Royals handed out small commeratative posters of the event to the first 20,000 or something like that. Of course, in the 7th when the record became official the crowd went nuts and Cal in his usual style took it all with grace. After the game he hung around for I don't know how long signing as many of those posters as he could for adults as well as kids. Long after the grounds crew was gone Cal is still out there signing away. I always heard about him doing this for people but seeing it in person makes you realize the time committment and generosity of one guy.

#22378 - 01/10/07 01:53 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: jayhwk01]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

billy ripken was awesome. still have his "F**k face" baseball card!

#22379 - 01/10/07 01:56 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: jayhwk01]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Thanks, '01.

I had the immense pleasure of having dinner with the Ripkens when I was a senior in highschool. It was amazing to watch them sign autographs throughout the evening - Cal Sr., Cal Jr. and Billy. They never batted an eyebrow or looked even remotely annoyed.

#22380 - 01/10/07 01:56 PM Re: Hall of Fame Inductees [Re: tubby]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

How much is that worth.....fyi for others, Bill Ripken once had a bball card photo taken with "fk face" clearly visible on the bat handle.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview