Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2043345 - 10/06/19 06:18 PM Koenning out as O.C.
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Topeka
Brent Dearmon has been named to replace Les Koenning as offensive coordinator.

I expected it at the end of the season....but I think this should lead to a more consistant offensive out put. Perhaps a few more Boston College like suprises.

#2043346 - 10/06/19 07:14 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
jhawkclassof02 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Newton, KS
When us armchair quarterbacks are consistently guessing the plays on offense, well, that's pretty bad. Such conservative and predictable play calling is embarrassing but also par for the course for the past decade or so. Honestly my gut reaction to this move was "this can't be good" but a little bit of reflection makes me think it can only get better.

#2043347 - 10/06/19 07:18 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

There is a good article on slant about Coach Dearmon's background. Everyone says he is an offensive genius....
I can't wait to see how right they are

#2043349 - 10/06/19 07:40 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
My first thought is it is a little early for this. I didn’t like Koenning as the OC hire...but changing halfway through the year doesn’t promote good feelings. That said the play calling has been bad. I wonder if there was internal conflict between Koenning and Dearmon? Hopefully it leads to more RPO.

#2043350 - 10/06/19 07:47 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Crap I just remembered that Dearmon coached NAIA last year. Yeah what could go wrong with this?!?!

#2043353 - 10/06/19 08:32 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Dearmon conducted quite a few seminars around the area for coaches on his book about using the RPO system....
Nearly every bit of feed back I've seen has been positive.

He has 2 weeks to get settled in before we try Texas....will have to see what happens. I'm wishing him lots of luck

#2043354 - 10/06/19 08:43 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: jhawkclassof02]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: jhawkclassof02
When us armchair quarterbacks are consistently guessing the plays on offense, well, that's pretty bad. Such conservative and predictable play calling is embarrassing but also par for the course for the past decade or so. Honestly my gut reaction to this move was "this can't be good" but a little bit of reflection makes me think it can only get better.

Doesn't matter who calls the plays, us arm chair OCs always make the right call.

#2043355 - 10/06/19 09:13 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I don't disagree with this move. In game adjustments have not been frequent enough and not effective. When we see flashes of what this offense can do and then see the inconsistency, it points toward leadership. Miles lost his previous job because of offensive woes and apparently wants someone to truly have those reins.

#2043356 - 10/06/19 09:29 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
Yardbirdbob Offline
Big Dipper

Can only lead to good things! Dearmon is a tactician. Think Lincoln Riley.

#2043357 - 10/06/19 09:45 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: Yardbirdbob]
Yardbirdbob Offline
Big Dipper

Next up: Some new QB's. . . . Mix it up and develop some of the other guys. Love CS's toughness, but team is going no where this year. Develop for next year.

#2043364 - 10/07/19 05:01 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: moose1
Crap I just remembered that Dearmon coached NAIA last year. Yeah what could go wrong with this?!?!
The use of someone called brilliant by some, seems a better bet than a mediocre high school coach from Texass as HC.

#2043365 - 10/07/19 05:15 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Feel good approach to football results in the last regime’s attitudes. Moving to better fit OC now rather than later is what I would want. Get er done.

#2043369 - 10/07/19 07:16 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Originally Posted By: DrGreydog
Dearmon conducted quite a few seminars around the area for coaches on his book about using the RPO system....
Nearly every bit of feed back I've seen has been positive.

He has 2 weeks to get settled in before we try Texas....will have to see what happens. I'm wishing him lots of luck

I made a too quick trip through the predictions and thought you were the one closest. Didn't see any congratulatory posts, so if you got it, congrats pard! smile
Of course I too hope this is the right call by MIles. There deserves to be concern over whether or not NAIA experience can translate, but seems to me we don't have a lot to lose by giving the young guy a shot. He had success when he had the chance. Now he has a bigger chance. Here's hoping he knocks it out of the park. One thing is I'm convinced he has some skill position talent to work with, and I was very impressed by what appeared to be some serious improvement by our lines both sides of the ball Saturday.

#2043370 - 10/07/19 07:18 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Hey, where the heck is KMan?

#2043371 - 10/07/19 08:48 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

According to Coach Miles even though they got rid of Koenning they are going to run similar plays and not go more to the RPO which is what Dearmon is supposedly good at. To me that makes NO sense at all. If you are just going to do the same thing why make the change at all? I don’t get what Coach Miles is doing here.

#2043372 - 10/07/19 09:22 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: moose1]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Big Dipper

Originally Posted By: moose1
According to Coach Miles even though they got rid of Koenning they are going to run similar plays and not go more to the RPO which is what Dearmon is supposedly good at. To me that makes NO sense at all. If you are just going to do the same thing why make the change at all? I don’t get what Coach Miles is doing here.

TRANSLATION-

"Yeah, we made a change at OC to a guy that wrote the book on the RPO but we won't run it. So Texas Coaches can continue to prepare for the same predictable offense that they saw us run for weeks. No need to pay attention to it at all! We definitely aren't trying to surprise them with a more high powered offense to catch them off guard or anything!"

#2043378 - 10/08/19 12:09 AM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
There is a good article on slant about Coach Dearmon's background. Everyone says he is an offensive genius....

https://kuathletics.com/coach/brent-dearmon/

"Dearmon came to KU fresh off a one-year head coaching stint where he produced the nation’s highest-scoring offense at any level in 2018. In his one season leading his alma mater, Bethel University, Dearmon guided the Wildcats to their best season in school history. BU posted a 10-0 regular season mark and a No. 3 ranking, while averaging 540.3 yards and a nation’s best 55.0 points per game, the highest scoring offense not just in NAIA, but in all of college football."

#2043405 - 10/08/19 11:36 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: appyhawk
Hey, where the heck is KMan?
Oh, I'm around, just not having a lot of spare time to post as much as I'd like to.

Dearmon is a very capable OC IMHO. He's got what it takes to be really really good. He doesn't have P-5 or even D-1 OC experience so he may take some lumps learning on the job, but if KU sticks with him and he sticks with KU (and allowed to really run the O) he's gonna kill it here.

Carter Stanley has looked like a completely different QB for most of this year and that's not by accident. First it starts with coach Miles knowing how to cultivate the self-confidence players need to perform at or near their potential (and really believe they can win) and 2nd he's gotten some really good individual coaching from the O staff and Dearmon contributed to that (in the manner he could) in a big way.

I expect Stanley and the O overall to continually look a little better each week if Dearmon is allowed full control.

#2043406 - 10/08/19 11:37 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: Maximus]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Maximus

https://kuathletics.com/coach/brent-dearmon/

"Dearmon came to KU fresh off a one-year head coaching stint where he produced the nation’s highest-scoring offense at any level in 2018. In his one season leading his alma mater, Bethel University, Dearmon guided the Wildcats to their best season in school history. BU posted a 10-0 regular season mark and a No. 3 ranking, while averaging 540.3 yards and a nation’s best 55.0 points per game, the highest scoring offense not just in NAIA, but in all of college football."
Coincidence [/end sarcasm]

#2043409 - 10/09/19 08:36 AM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
Topcitykid10 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Carter is a ok QB but when do we start to get reps of younger QB's? Start building for the furture

#2043414 - 10/09/19 12:14 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: Topcitykid10]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
That's the key question...who is going to quarterback the team in the future.
It looks like we are facing another 2 or possibly 3 win year..if we get lucky....so in that sense Carter is nothing more than a remnant of our past failures as are all the seniors on this years team...it sounds horrible but that's the reality. I didn't expect anymore this year than 2 or 3 wins....and that's what the expert odds makers predicted.
Based on Miles comments it sounds like a full fledged conversion to an RPO type offense is going to have to wait until next year.....if ever....as Miles just wants more consistency and less up and downs from the offense...no major changes as he says. Clearly the transfer QB is not the answer for the future, so who is??? Have we even recruited him yet or are we destined to mediocre to bad QB play for the foreseeable future based on our current roster and next years draft class? Personally I don't believe Miles can turn the program around without a high performance QB. If that's still years away I would like to know so I don't have to continue to waste time watching losing football.

Edited by track (10/09/19 12:18 PM)

#2043418 - 10/09/19 02:25 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"...I would like to know so I don't have to continue to waste time watching losing football."
The good thing about having Miles as coach, the players are buying into this program instead of wasting your time watching crap as you put it.

#2043420 - 10/09/19 02:42 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: track]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

I don't have anything against Stanley, but if we're going to go younger, I'd like to see freshman Torry Locklin get a look. A good sized QB that can run and throw, and led his Texas high school to a state championship.

#2043434 - 10/09/19 08:18 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Any coach is going to play the QB that gives them the best chance to win now. That helps recruiting and keeps the seniors interested. You have to put the best football on the field possible.

#2043438 - 10/09/19 08:57 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You're right Al. At the same time I agree with Magic and others to the extent that there will likely be times when the game is out of hand, which would be a good time to protect your top guy and get the other guys some valuable game experience.

#2043454 - 10/10/19 10:43 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
"One or two names that show a bit more than have been......"

Run Pass Option (RPO) - Pooka Williams to get twice as many touches and James Sosinski to keep the linebackers from being too aggressive.

#2043468 - 10/12/19 05:32 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: Maximus]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Hiring Koenning was a bad idea from the start. Glad he is gone.

#2043478 - 10/14/19 08:43 AM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: pizzanbeer]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Play calling has probably cost us two wins already, CC & WVU. Now was a good time to make a change, we really don't have much to lose by doing so at this point. I like what I've read about Dearmon. Just give us improvement and maybe a big surprise here and there.

#2043504 - 10/15/19 03:56 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
It was a desperation hire after Lindsey bolted.

#2043737 - 10/19/19 10:02 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

I'm thinking Coach Dearmon.... is a keeper!!!!!

#2043756 - 10/20/19 02:26 PM Re: Koenning out as O.C. [Re: DrGreydog]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Based on that Texas game yes I would say so. Maybe our head coach in waiting?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview