Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2042905 - 09/21/19 07:10 PM Take aways from WVU
Jhawktalk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

These are just my personal observations

- Offense needs improvement. They had 15 more minutes of TOP and only beat us by 5. If they hadn't had so much more TOP we would have won comfortably, in my opinion. The offensive line cost us the fumble by allowing WVU to get to Stanley. And to top that off the turnovers hurt real bad, and ultimately the 4th quarter interception cost us the game

- These officials were absolutely horrendous. They weren't the reason we lost, but definitely hurt us. The onside kick was robbed from us, which gifted them 3 points, and the missed targeting call was just garbage.

#2042908 - 09/21/19 07:14 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
Jhawktalk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Also, one more thing about the onside kick. WVU's player had the ball in his hands, which was blatantly obvious on the replay. Perhaps I don't understand the rules correctly, but I would say that a player having the ball in his hands is a pretty "fair" opportunity for them to receive the ball.

#2042910 - 09/21/19 07:26 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: Jhawktalk

- Offense needs improvement. They had 15 more minutes of TOP and only beat us by 5. If they hadn't had so much more TOP we would have won comfortably, in my opinion. The offensive line cost us the fumble by allowing WVU to get to Stanley. And to top that off the turnovers hurt real bad, and ultimately the 4th quarter interception cost us the game

- These officials were absolutely horrendous. They weren't the reason we lost, but definitely hurt us. The onside kick was robbed from us, which gifted them 3 points, and the missed targeting call was just garbage.

Dude the onside kick was the right call. Do I think its a fair rule? absolutely not. Think in these terms: If he kicks it 16 yards and the kicking team grabs it out of the guys hands is it a violation?

The missed targeting call was 100% BS. f that had been mike Lee he woulda been given the heave ho and prolly a 6 game suspension from the league(maybe even a lifetime ban)

#2042912 - 09/21/19 07:51 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Austin
My takeaway is that it’s nice to see KU competitive again. At least there’s that.

#2042913 - 09/21/19 08:03 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jman1]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: Jman1
Originally Posted By: Jhawktalk

Dude the onside kick was the right call. Do I think its a fair rule? absolutely not. Think in these terms: If he kicks it 16 yards and the kicking team grabs it out of the guys hands is it a violation?

The missed targeting call was 100% BS. f that had been mike Lee he woulda been given the heave ho and prolly a 6 game suspension from the league(maybe even a lifetime ban)

And addendum: reffing is only a portion of the game. It(game) has to be won in the trenches and with making plays and we were fairly poor at both. So I guess the notion of Friday 13, with the full moon has some merit.

#2042914 - 09/21/19 08:58 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Take aways is they still can't win a B12 home game vs a bad B12 team.... until they do their the same old same old...fact...like when we beat Georgia Tech that season and stunk up the rest of the season.

#2042917 - 09/21/19 10:15 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Topeka
Just asking....
If our offense can take possession down 12 points late in 4th quarter. Move the ball down the field efficiently and score in approximately 2 minutes....
What is keeping them them from doing that all day long?

They did it during 2nd half at BC.

They they screwed around the rest of the game and couldnt run or a screen pass or much of anything else untill they became desperate. They need to play desperate for the rest of the season....

#2042918 - 09/22/19 07:23 AM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: DrGreydog]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's true that our guys made some mistakes, that the refs made a bad call or two, that we got behind with not a lot of time left. But our guys never gave up and were able to come up with a tremendous stop and a fantastic drive at the end to almost pull it out. Disappointed? Yes. But improvement was seen and there is hope for the future.

#2042923 - 09/22/19 09:51 AM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
appyhawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I think the worst part of the onside kick call at that juncture was sending it in from the sideline in the first place. It is a play with historically low success rate. At that time momentum of play was in our favor as defense was making plays and offense was on successful roll. Take that 3 pts off the board from their score and we are within a field goal of winning the game. Instead the play was unsuccessful and we present them with a very short field, IOW a 3 pt gift and reversal of game momentum.
Bad call.

#2042926 - 09/22/19 01:43 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: appyhawk]
Yardbirdbob Offline
John Brown

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I think the worst part of the onside kick call at that juncture was sending it in from the sideline in the first place. It is a play with historically low success rate. At that time momentum of play was in our favor as defense was making plays and offense was on successful roll. Take that 3 pts off the board from their score and we are within a field goal of winning the game. Instead the play was unsuccessful and we present them with a very short field, IOW a 3 pt gift and reversal of game momentum.
Bad call.

This. The call itself was weird at that point in the game. I think the rule is stupid, but the fact is, is seems the refs enforced the rules in effect. Whatever the call, it instantly swung the momentum to the 'eers.

The team is making tiny progress, but the play calling is suspect. Def need a new OC. And if building for the future, why not get a younger QB in taking some game reps? I love CS's heart, but everyone knows wins are going to be slim for the next couple of years. Build for the future like Baylor, and play the younger guys...Maybe?

#2042927 - 09/22/19 03:34 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Southeast Kansas
I like the aggressiveness and execution of the onside kick. I wonder if our Liam Jones coming up gimpy after the Field Goal played into the decision. He was hobbling to the sideline.

#2042928 - 09/22/19 03:40 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
Yardbirdbob Offline
John Brown

I heard that was part of the fake, Liam limping off. Who knows with Les. Wouldn't put it past him for that to be part of the set up for the on-side kick.

#2042929 - 09/22/19 03:47 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Southeast Kansas
I had my reservations about Les Miles. I'm a believer through 4 weeks.

#2042930 - 09/22/19 04:35 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
I don’t have a problem with the call, and IT WORKED! I have NEVER seen a ref call that penalty on an onside kick. I think a team that has been in KUs position over the years needs to take some chances to create some momentum.

#2042934 - 09/22/19 08:38 PM Re: Take aways from WVU [Re: Jhawktalk]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Austin
Agree with Moose. I liked the onside call precisely BECAUSE it came at a "bad time." It was totally unexpected, and it worked -- except the refs screwed us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview