Page 20 of 24 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2045643 - 12/24/19 05:50 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: appyhawk
" The coaches on the other hand are not recruiting as if, nor talking as if they think it's going to be the problem..."

I have no way of knowing what quality we have waiting in the wings, but I have to be confident they put the best they had available on the field this year.
We all saw what happened.
Pooka, undeniably an elite talent, was snuffed. Carter was scrambling just to survive when he had even that much time. Seems to me that if the coaches are not recruiting like that (O Line) was the problem that is a problem in itself.
Doesn't matter what system you're trying to run. If you can't compete at the line of scrimmage you are in serious trouble.

Appy.... which of these three qualities do you feel our offensive lineman lack in order? Maybe Dearmon feels his offense can overcome last year’s deficiency.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1249219-3-traits-e

#2045646 - 12/24/19 09:20 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Not being a lineman type, and never having played one of those positions, I might not be the best guy to answer that question. I did however play right behind them and know exactly how important they are.
One thing that fellow pointed to is quickness, and that is spot on. However in RPO the QB is often on designed move and linemen are schemed to pull and run, so speed becomes an issue. Speed and quickness are two different things. Maybe our linemen do not have enough of both.
That's a decent little piece on that link. All the qualities in his list are appropriate. Our linemen last year didn't always fail, so it's important to note that. Our coaches work with them every day, which cultivates relationships, not just of favor, but trust and belief they can do the job. Trouble is I felt like our linemen were successful maybe 25% of the time. There were stretches during which they were on their game and produced good plays in succession, which is what leads to sustained drives. We did some of that, but our successful drives usually included a big play that netted a huge chunk of yardage, rather than steadily moving the chains. Therefore I feel consistency of high level play was a big problem.
I think the main reason for our inconsistent success on the line boils down to lower talent level than our opposition. We encountered greater success against the more vulnerable teams we faced, but showed poorly against better competition. Our game against Oklahoma was an exception. Our game against KState is a better indicator. The Cats, though not what I would rate as a high level team, overwhelmed us on both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage, and managed to do that for most of the game. That was also true in a number of other games this past season. Texas was playing shorthanded on the line vs us and we were better able to compete with them. It all boils down to talent level. We have to be able to attract more talented linemen in order to achieve a higher level of team success.
How you actually get that talent level through recruiting is a whole nuther ball of wax, especially when you aren't already near top of the heap.

Oh geeze...I think I just did more poorly, instead of less well. :lol:

Edited by appyhawk (12/24/19 09:25 AM)

#2045651 - 12/24/19 03:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Rather than trying to recruit the limited number of 300 pound lineman...and settle on the bottom of the barrell who are not athletic....we would be better served to recruit 240-250 pound athletes that have the frame to add 40-50 pounds over 5 years.

#2045659 - 12/25/19 05:08 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I believe the Kitties started and played 5 Srs. on the Oline all season. Would be nice to see that once in a while at KU.

#2045670 - 12/28/19 11:35 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Kansas
Man watching that game tonight and seeing a Kansas born player make big plays. Great game Isaiah Simmons

#2045688 - 12/29/19 03:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: vmlb
I believe the Kitties started and played 5 Srs. on the Oline all season. Would be nice to see that once in a while at KU.

It looks like Miles plans to sign 4 OL recruits in this class so that could get us close to 5 seniors on OL.

I am more concerned with recruiting on DL than OL right now since we only signed 1 out of 4 verbal commits at DL on early signing day.

#2045827 - 01/07/20 11:47 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Wilt Chamberlain

#2045828 - 01/07/20 11:54 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Wilt Chamberlain

He cited "changes to the KU football program" as his reason to decommit.
Only changes I know of are a new strength coach, and Bowen leaving. Bowen wasn't the one who recruited him.
Anyway, so much for our prize 4* recruit.

#2045842 - 01/09/20 02:28 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Topeka
KU just picked up a commit from Miami, Ok
in the form of 6'5 285 OT Jackson Satterwhite

#2045848 - 01/09/20 09:57 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
He cited "changes to the KU football program" as his reason to decommit.
Only changes I know of are a new strength coach, and Bowen leaving. Bowen wasn't the one who recruited him.
Anyway, so much for our prize 4* recruit.
Heard this wasn't his decision. Know he had some qualifying questions. Guessing that's still in question enough for this move to have happened.

#2045849 - 01/09/20 10:00 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: DrGreydog]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: DrGreydog
KU just picked up a commit from Miami, Ok
in the form of 6'5 285 OT Jackson Satterwhite
He looks like a solid OL recruit, but not an immediate impact guy. Not 100% sure what kind of offer he's committed to, but I believe it could be a blueshirt. Hopefully he'll be pushing for a starting job here in a couple years.

#2045850 - 01/09/20 11:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Wilt Chamberlain

Kman, when do we hear something about new enrollees for upcoming semester?

#2045851 - 01/10/20 11:45 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

From my understanding, probably hear some starting late next week, but won't hear about all until about a week from next Tuesday.

There's a small chance that we won't hear about 1 until about 2 weeks after this next Tuesday.

#2046089 - 01/20/20 08:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Feleipe Franks enrolled at Arkansas. KU was on his list

#2046092 - 01/20/20 10:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Wilt Chamberlain

So our QB depth is headlined by MacVittie?
Hoping Daniels can get up to speed FAST.

Page 20 of 24 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 >

Preview