Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2042359 - 09/09/19 08:50 PM What I would love to say to our coaches.
prairiehawk Offline
John Brown

Loc: KS
My expectations and goals for our football team this year did not include a number for wins and losses.. What I hoped was that our team would show the characteristics that really good teams exhibit. Those characteristics are: 1. They play with great passion and extreme effort. That is called attitude and you can and should always out-effort the other team and impose your will to win on them. 2. They should play fundamentally sound at all times (especially blocking, & tackling). To me that means strong discipline to do things the right way all the time, no short cuts. 3. They should play smart, especially during critical times of the game. That means focus from the start to the finish of the game. Don't do something dumb or take high risk changes. 4. They should play tough, which means staying true to the things mentioned above, especially when things are not going our way in the game. You don't let up or give in EVER. And the end of the game, you are at the top of your game. I did not observe our team showing the above four basic characteristics during the game against Coastal Carolina.

I had another observation at the game Saturday. I was in the stadium and seated very early to watch all of the warm-ups. I saw many players dancing, singing, high fiving, and going through many of the warmups at barely half-speed. They seem more intent on having fun and a good time than getting prepared for a tough game. The team did NOT seem to be serious, focused, and eager to show a strong competitive nature (meaning flat-out dominate Coastal Carolina). I know I old and played sports long ago, but I still absolutely believe how you practice and how you warm-up & get your game face on will be how you eventually play that game! I felt prior to the tip-off, KU was NOT ready to play football. The early possession, quick TD did not help matters, and maybe even made thing worse. I would get rid of the loud music and party atmosphere and get that team ready to play a football game. You can't just flip a switch and turn things on, so that things go your way. KU was not ready to play and never hit their stride. And my above expectations for this team were sadly failed! RCJHKU

Edited by prairiehawk (09/10/19 06:31 PM)

#2042362 - 09/09/19 09:37 PM Re: What I would love to say to our coaches. [Re: prairiehawk]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Well said. I would love to see KU play like that, and it has been FOREVER, since we saw that. I think we play like you describe there is NO way KU loses to CC. Plus they would be fun to watch in the other games.

#2042373 - 09/10/19 09:45 AM Re: What I would love to say to our coaches. [Re: prairiehawk]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
Good observation. At KU, the only effective approach I’ve seen is toughness. Coach Mason put the fear of God into players and so did Mangino.

I get it. I guess Miles is a "player's coach."

I hope that his staff‘s ability to recruit great players will make up for this.

#2042375 - 09/10/19 11:28 AM Re: What I would love to say to our coaches. [Re: prairiehawk]
prairiehawk Offline
John Brown

Loc: KS
Kirk, I totally believe that to have a really good program and great teams it takes more than just talent. YES, you need good to great talent, but there is an extremely important component, and that is what is in the mind and in the heart!! And the beautiful thing is that foundation can start IMMEDIATELY with year one, no matter what the skill level of the team is. The coaches talk about a "change of culture" from one of losing - to one of winning, well I hoped the characteristics I mentioned above would be already in the foundation of our new program. Maybe it will happen sooner than later, but it must happen at some point!

I still believe in coach Miles, his staff, and the players. I just hope to see those expectations occur soon. Last word, at this point we must stay patient as a fan base. RCJHKU

Edited by prairiehawk (09/10/19 11:32 AM)

#2042376 - 09/10/19 12:20 PM Re: What I would love to say to our coaches. [Re: prairiehawk]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: prairiehawk
Kirk, I totally believe that to have a really good program and great teams it takes more than just talent. YES, you need good to great talent, but there is an extremely important component, and that is what is in the mind and in the heart!! And the beautiful thing is that foundation can start IMMEDIATELY with year one, no matter what the skill level of the team is. The coaches talk about a "change of culture" from one of losing - to one of winning, well I hoped the characteristics I mentioned above would be already in the foundation of our new program. Maybe it will happen sooner than later, but it must happen at some point!

I still believe in coach Miles, his staff, and the players. I just hope to see those expectations occur soon. Last word, at this point we must stay patient as a fan base. RCJHKU

Agree 1,000,000%

#2042383 - 09/10/19 02:38 PM Re: What I would love to say to our coaches. [Re: prairiehawk]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
We’re all in fierce agreement.

Preview