Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2042284 - 09/07/19 09:58 PM Lack of talent
Jhawktalk Offline
Baby Jay

Yes tonight was horrendous on about every level. However, I think our biggest problem is simply a lack of real talent. Lets not forget our roster is full of JUCO players. Not DII or even DIII talent.....JUCO. These players wouldn't make the bench on any Division 1 team, and the last staff had to get them out of desperation because NOBODY wanted to come play for KU.

I have no expectations for this team to do well until these recruits we have been getting are on the field. I'm willing to wait and see how things are after 2, 3 and even 4 years of good recruiting. Fingers crossed, cause this seems like it may be our last hurrah

#2042285 - 09/07/19 10:05 PM Re: Lack of talent [Re: Jhawktalk]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Really? KU has less talent than Coastal Carolina?

#2042286 - 09/07/19 10:30 PM Re: Lack of talent [Re: Jhawktalk]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Apparently

#2042287 - 09/07/19 11:00 PM Re: Lack of talent [Re: moose1]
Jhawktalk Offline
Baby Jay

Like I said, JUCO talent. Coastal Carolina is still a D1 school, which means they have D1 talent. We have D1 talent, but not at every position, and you can't argue that our roster is a mess given we have been scraping the bottom of the barrel just to get by the last few years. We are severely lacking throughout.

#2042288 - 09/07/19 11:11 PM Re: Lack of talent [Re: Jhawktalk]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
So bearing those facts maybe we shouldnt be totally freaking out already. Dont we have a potential top 25 class coming in next season. Hell we got to give goofy Les as long as Derp or Weiss dont we...again it cant get worse.

#2042294 - 09/08/19 07:41 AM Re: Lack of talent [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

We don't have much choice but to wait. After a 10 year cycle of many AD, coaching, and university miscues, here we are. The downward spiral started with Mangino getting in the doghouse with Perkins which was sped up by a prima donna player's dad getting upset at Mangino. Don't think the players didn't know what was developing and perhaps helped lead to our sudden downfall that season. Since then we've had a carousal of coaches, with one who took us to the bottom, Weis, with his Juco solution and other reasons. We've also had a fan base that hasn't been willing to wait long enough for a coach to solidify a team as well as a university not willing to shell out the funds needed to support a solid football program. After this 10 year terrible cycle, perhaps some of these are starting to be corrected. Perhaps waiting a little longer will produce more corrections (we've already waited 10 years). We certainly don't have much choice and hopefully the new recruits will hang in there with us. So let us wait.

#2042295 - 09/08/19 07:58 AM Re: Lack of talent [Re: Jayhawk1952]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Let's throw in an unrealistic fan base....I cringe when I hear fans every year predicting 4- 5 wins based on nothing other than a coaching change or it's a new year.....until we get better players and more better players backing them up...we are going to suck. Our best hope is Miles can bring in 2 or 3 quality classes and somewhere within that group is a QB that can run and pass equally well....and we develop offensive lineman that can protect him.. Until then we are destined to be a 1-3 win a year team.

#2042296 - 09/08/19 08:11 AM Re: Lack of talent [Re: Jhawktalk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I agree wholeheartedly, and admit that I definitely bought the snake oil of the late win last week, and thought that bringing Pooka back would really make us unstoppable this week against a team that I was convinced sucked.

Well, that team that "sucked" looked better than the ISU team that we played last week, who I gave credit for being better than everyone thought because of the upperclassmen they had on the roster. I keep forgetting that in all honesty, only about 20% of the players on KU's two deep have actual D1 talent. And even fewer (probably 5-8% have P5 D1 talent. It will take a couple of recruiting cycles to see what we really have under Miles, and if he can just improve our Jimmy's and Joe's to where they should be, I think we can again get to the expect 4-6 wins a season, with an occasional 8-10 wins. That's all KU should expect. Just as Rome wasn't built in a day, this program was drug down over ten long, painful, scandal clad, ignorative, and abused years. The fact we still have a program is nothing short of a miracle. There's no continuing the revolving door of coaches. Les is our guy. He will be here for five years, or we may not have a program.

On a sidenote, I do suffer from shadenfruede (taking pleasure in the failure of others), so I have been carousing the Nebraska boards. Their fanbase is truly the most delusional in the nation. They have sucked for 20 years, yet still believe that every year will be the year that they reemerge in the top four and play for a natty. I think that their biggest problem is that leaving the Big XII has killed their pipeline to Texas and other southern recruiting areas, and fact of the matter is, there's now a generation that has grown up only knowing that Nebraska has sucked their entire lifetime. The country's demographics are changing. People are leaving the midwest more and more. Top recruits want to go to school and play in areas where the coeds wear shorts and tank tops to EVERY game. They don't dress up like eskimos for games in early October. Getting pelted in the face with ice your third from last game at home isn't appealing. Seriously, if you want a reality check go to Huskerboard and roam. You will read some funny shite over there.

RCJHKU!

I hope that I live to see a bowl game from these Hawks again.

Edited by KUHawkhead (09/08/19 08:12 AM)

#2042298 - 09/08/19 09:02 AM Re: Lack of talent [Re: Jayhawk1952]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
We don't have much choice but to wait. After a 10 year cycle of many AD, coaching, and university miscues, here we are. The downward spiral started with Mangino getting in the doghouse with Perkins which was sped up by a prima donna player's dad getting upset at Mangino. Don't think the players didn't know what was developing and perhaps helped lead to our sudden downfall that season. Since then we've had a carousal of coaches, with one who took us to the bottom, Weis, with his Juco solution and other reasons. We've also had a fan base that hasn't been willing to wait long enough for a coach to solidify a team as well as a university not willing to shell out the funds needed to support a solid football program. After this 10 year terrible cycle, perhaps some of these are starting to be corrected. Perhaps waiting a little longer will produce more corrections (we've already waited 10 years). We certainly don't have much choice and hopefully the new recruits will hang in there with us. So let us wait.

I am not saying KU is going to get rid of Les. He has done an AWESOME job recruiting players. Hopefully he keeps the 2020 class together, and I have been thinking that before yesterdays game. Until they are signed it does not mean much. I do think most will sign.

Also I think we saw some signs of rust to his coaching. There were some odd decisions and the 4th down call was just a sh!t show. That had Beaty written all over it.

As for expectations, I did not have much expectations for this year. However I did expect KU to win the first two games. I expected them to be Coastal Carolina. Those are not unreasonable expectations. I don't think there was a KU fan that did not think KU would not beat CC. Judging by the GTS that bears that out. I guess I should not expect to beat a team at home that has not had a Power 5 win, and has only been in division 1 for 3 years. I guess that is on me.

You are right there is a lack of talent. That said the defense held CC to 12 points, so they did their job. A turnover or two would have been nice, but that is a matter of luck sometimes. The talent on the offensive side of the ball is largely the same as last year with the exception of receivers, which I think are an improvement. This team was playing better on offense at the end of last year. I get that there is a new coach and offensive coordinator, but I don't think the change was so radical it would cause a lot of issues. Then again maybe I am underselling that aspect of the change. Bottom line KU should have been able to put up enough points to win the game.

#2042299 - 09/08/19 09:17 AM Re: Lack of talent [Re: Jhawktalk]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Originally Posted By: Jhawktalk
Like I said, JUCO talent. Coastal Carolina is still a D1 school, which means they have D1 talent. We have D1 talent, but not at every position, and you can't argue that our roster is a mess given we have been scraping the bottom of the barrel just to get by the last few years. We are severely lacking throughout.

This game was lost on coaching and playcaling, not because of a lack of talent. This was a very David Beaty type of game. Everyone watching the game knew when KU went into the two reciever set it was a run up the middle or off the edge and that play was used way too many times.

#2042364 - 09/10/19 12:34 AM Re: Lack of talent [Re: INation]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: INation
This game was lost on coaching and playcaling, not because of a lack of talent. This was a very David Beaty type of game. Everyone watching the game knew when KU went into the two reciever set it was a run up the middle or off the edge and that play was used way too many times.

Exactly, coaching blew this game pure and simple. Worst offensive performance I've seen at KU in more than a decade and that's saying something.

We absolutely gave this game away because our coaches made an offensive game plan from the 1990's which predictably failed horribly.

No offense to Coastal Carolina, but they suck. They're not a good team and KU should have beaten them by at least 2 scores.

KU's team talent >>>>>>>>>>Coastal Carolina's team talent

Preview