Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2042213 - 09/04/19 03:48 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Jman1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Thought I'd add one more thing about our LB's. I didn't really pay attention to it during the game, but noticed later that our 2 starting LB's played every single snap on D. That had to affect their play some as at times they did look tired. When I get around to watching the game on my DVR I'll try to see if that made them look as if they were lost some of the time.

#2042216 - 09/04/19 05:15 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

The missed PAT was one of the weirdest and worst shanks I've seen from a kicker. I think he missed it by a good 10-15 yards wide left. Hopefully it was a one off for him.

He didn't miss it that bad, missed left upright by a couple of yards. Nice that the officials needed five plus minutes to confirm the TD...that iced the kid for sure!

WORST ever shank? Bob Swift against Nebraska in 73......ball didn't get more than 5 feet off the ground and ended up near the corner pylon. Swift also missed a short FG in that one....Jaynes and Co. lost 10-9. At least we won this one!

#2042217 - 09/04/19 06:52 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Jman1]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
I was at that game in '73. Huge disappointment even though I was only 15 years old at the time.

#2042220 - 09/04/19 09:27 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Kman_blue]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
I'll give them overall a B. Coaching will make a ton of difference this year, though not so much in the W's and L's. Last years team would've not won this game once they went down in the 4th. I watched the ESPN+ series about Miles and KU. The guy is flat out weird, but in a Mike Leach sort of way. His organization and evaluation suggests that he might be on the Autism spectrum, but that's not always a bad thing. The two things that he couldn't get over on that series was 1) How few staff we had for football. 2) How little resources we have.

I'm encouraged, but know how far down this program was, so don't expect an immediate turn around. I do like how he's scheming to what we currently have for talent, rather than trying to put in a whole new offensive scheme that doesn't fit our shallow talent pool overall.

RCJHKU!
The thing I'm thinking about more since the game is the O we ran. It felt a lot like the conservative O Miles ran at LSU which their fanbase went nuts about as the years went on. It was probably the biggest reason they eventually canned him because they felt the O needed to evolve with the times and was holding them back from scoring a lot more and winning more games.

I was hoping some of our O coaches would have more influence over the O scheme as we've got some innovative offensive minds on staff who I believe could get the most out of our O if given some more leeway in running the offense.

I hope coach Miles loosens the reigns on the O as the season goes on, because I think we've got the skill guys to score a lot more than we did.

I think the coaching staff used this like an NFL exhibition game. They were evaluating to see what they have. Additionally, I think they kept it fairly simple so the guys would just play football instead of thinking too much. I also think the conservative approach was "let's don't beat ourselves." This was a program baby step and an important win.

Having said all that, I think they will look at film and add more of what they did well and correct and/or cut back on what they didn't do well.

#2042239 - 09/07/19 01:44 AM Re: Team grades [Re: AlOerter]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Yeah, I think there's probably a lot of truth to that, especially after hearing some of the players comments after the game and during the week.

I too hope they make some adjustments to that tomorrow...err...technically today as it's after midnight now.

Pooka alone should make the O move a lot better and hopefully account for quite a few more points on the board, even if not directly from him.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview