Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2042154 - 08/31/19 03:35 PM Team grades
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Saw the whole game and always thought we were ripe for the pickin'. We escaped by the grace of God. Overall fairly unimpressive. Indiana State actually looked likethe better team for a good portion of he game.

Position grades by obsevartion:

Geez who's worst?

DLine=D- No pressure, got pushed around by the most part and only way to get pressure was stunt or blitz

LBs=C- didnt get much done, no physicality. Looked lost at times. Blown reads

OLine=D- Supposed to be the strength. totally unimpressive. got manhadled on the line of scrimmage for the most part and couldn't run for [censored] minus one drive.

Receivers-A. made some impressive catches and athletic. Wiithout those we prolly lose. Good downfield blocking.

Special team-B. missed FG attempt, but other than that good.

QB and backfield-C. Carter Stanley was average at best. made a couple of good throws but thats about it. If he's better than MacVittie we in trouble. RBs had the same one good series that eventually turned into a turnover. Othr than that unimpressive.

D Backs-B+- ONLY because of the 2 picks. Other than that they were pretty bad and I would say C-.

Coaching-B-. Didn't show anything too impressive, but I guess coached well enough to get a win against an FCS opponent. Scheme was decent and mixed it up pretty good. . Beaty would have lost that game and half time adjustments were ?

Enthusiasm-D-. Thought they would have come out with thier hair on fire, but not so much. They had Beaty Syndrome in the second half until the last drive.

Overall I'd say KU performance at C- but a win is a win. ISU is not a bad football team. In fact they really should have won that game if not for the two red zone turnovers

Edited by Jman1 (08/31/19 03:40 PM)

#2042162 - 09/01/19 02:44 AM Re: Team grades [Re: Jman1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Just got home about half an hour ago, so I'll keep this short as I'm ready to crash.

In same order as you,

DL - C-/D+ (Moragne bumped this grade up by himself)
LB's - C- Lost much of the game.
OL - F Absolute failure, even though Adeniji was solid.
WR's - A Some great grabs and talent shown.
Special Teams - B- Terrible shank on PAT
QB - C+ Made some nice throws, but terrible ball security
RB's - B+ Probably deserve an A, but OL made it hard to grade them properly.
DB's - B- Played OK most of the game, but HATED the soft scheme they were playing.
Coaching - B+ Liked sticking with Stanley, and game plan overall, but disliked some things about the D plan and too conservative play calling on O most of game.

Enthusiasm - B Kinda hard for me to properly judge on this one. We definitely didn't look like we were as fired up as Indy St. was for a lot of the game, but the guys looked plenty fired up in the post game. Also, I think coach Miles is a level headed kind of coach and the team may just have been reflecting that.

#2042180 - 09/02/19 03:57 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Jman1]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I'll give them overall a B. Coaching will make a ton of difference this year, though not so much in the W's and L's. Last years team would've not won this game once they went down in the 4th. I watched the ESPN+ series about Miles and KU. The guy is flat out weird, but in a Mike Leach sort of way. His organization and evaluation suggests that he might be on the Autism spectrum, but that's not always a bad thing. The two things that he couldn't get over on that series was 1) How few staff we had for football. 2) How little resources we have.

I'm encouraged, but know how far down this program was, so don't expect an immediate turn around. I do like how he's scheming to what we currently have for talent, rather than trying to put in a whole new offensive scheme that doesn't fit our shallow talent pool overall.

RCJHKU!

#2042182 - 09/02/19 07:00 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Jman1]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Football getting more press than basketball...typical local yokel plowbillies...This is why Self will beat feet..you simpletons have forgotten who butters your plain white bread...KU football deserves no love yet...best get on the bball forum and praise Self or he be gone suckas...

#2042183 - 09/03/19 01:19 AM Re: Team grades [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
I'll give them overall a B. Coaching will make a ton of difference this year, though not so much in the W's and L's. Last years team would've not won this game once they went down in the 4th. I watched the ESPN+ series about Miles and KU. The guy is flat out weird, but in a Mike Leach sort of way. His organization and evaluation suggests that he might be on the Autism spectrum, but that's not always a bad thing. The two things that he couldn't get over on that series was 1) How few staff we had for football. 2) How little resources we have.

I'm encouraged, but know how far down this program was, so don't expect an immediate turn around. I do like how he's scheming to what we currently have for talent, rather than trying to put in a whole new offensive scheme that doesn't fit our shallow talent pool overall.

RCJHKU!
The thing I'm thinking about more since the game is the O we ran. It felt a lot like the conservative O Miles ran at LSU which their fanbase went nuts about as the years went on. It was probably the biggest reason they eventually canned him because they felt the O needed to evolve with the times and was holding them back from scoring a lot more and winning more games.

I was hoping some of our O coaches would have more influence over the O scheme as we've got some innovative offensive minds on staff who I believe could get the most out of our O if given some more leeway in running the offense.

I hope coach Miles loosens the reigns on the O as the season goes on, because I think we've got the skill guys to score a lot more than we did.

#2042184 - 09/03/19 01:21 AM Re: Team grades [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Football getting more press than basketball...typical local yokel plowbillies...This is why Self will beat feet..you simpletons have forgotten who butters your plain white bread...KU football deserves no love yet...best get on the bball forum and praise Self or he be gone suckas...
OK Chicken Little, we been hearing this the sky is falling and coach Self is bolting BS for going on 10 years now. Don't believe it for a second.

BTW, coach Self was at the game on Saturday and interacting with quite a few fans.

#2042188 - 09/03/19 01:53 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
?????? A couple of posters here have rated QB play at C level while receivers at the A level. What, what? The receiving corps had to put themselves in position to get the ball, true. But then they achieved while the throws were ordinary or less than average??? Kansas QB was only starting his 10th game as the redshirt senior. Sure he missed on some, or turned over the ball some, but still achieved 24 points against a 16th ranked school in the next level down. I saw enough to be thrilled for game one in the season. I have been down so long with Beatty as coach, that the comments here now are disturbing to say the least.

#2042189 - 09/03/19 03:54 PM Re: Team grades [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
?????? A couple of posters here have rated QB play at C level while receivers at the A level. What, what? The receiving corps had to put themselves in position to get the ball, true. But then they achieved while the throws were ordinary or less than average??? Kansas QB was only starting his 10th game as the redshirt senior. Sure he missed on some, or turned over the ball some, but still achieved 24 points against a 16th ranked school in the next level down. I saw enough to be thrilled for game one in the season. I have been down so long with Beatty as coach, that the comments here now are disturbing to say the least.

17 points from the offense.... not 24.

#2042190 - 09/03/19 04:11 PM Re: Team grades [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: track

17 points from the offense.... not 24.

We also only gave up 10. Thus the Defense gets a B+. wink

Letter grades on game 1 are meaningless anyway, though they might make one feel better. A teams biggest improvement comes between games 1 and game 2. I saw a bunch of things I liked, far, far more than I disliked. The best part? The game ended up a "W". No one will give a damn about letter grades for game one at the end of the season, let alone looking in a history book down the road.

#2042192 - 09/03/19 04:18 PM Re: Team grades [Re: beenahawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

IMO OL under performed and DL - LB over performed. Everyone else played like I expected.

OL - C
WR - B
QB - C
RB - B

DL - C
LB - C
DB - B

P - A
K - D

#2042193 - 09/03/19 05:13 PM Re: Team grades [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Receivers made some very tough catches, but isn't that what they are SUPPOSED to do? Stanley didn't have the best QB game but it was damn sure serviceable, and he led the come from behind drive for the "W" isn't that what a QB is SUPPOSED to do? Did Stanley throw into coverage? Yes, but some of that was due to I-State DB's playing well....(There were very few instances of our WR's clearing and actually being truly open).did he put the ball where only the KU kid could make the grab? 80% of the time the answer is yes. besides the weird ass fumble, backward pass call in the endzone, I think Stanley played well.

#2042194 - 09/03/19 05:13 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Jman1]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I kind of go along with you on that pizzabeer. I thought the RBs underperformed, but I lay that on the OL. I had low expectations for the DL, so they were actually better than I expected.
That's my problem...I really don't know what kind of curve to use for grading our team this year. Grade them against what comparison?
The game this week should see improved stats from Stanley, if that's possible, just because Pooka is such a game changer. Going forward Pooka will demand so much defensive attention opportunities are going to open up for our QB and receivers. Especially if our OL can rise to a higher level.
I was especially disappointed to miss a PAT. That nearly cost us the game.

#2042195 - 09/03/19 05:17 PM Re: Team grades [Re: appyhawk]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I
I was especially disappointed to miss a PAT. That nearly cost us the game.

Nice of the officials to ICE our kicker for more than five minutes, don't you think? the only TD that didn't result in a "Further review" was that one....I find that odd to say the least.

#2042196 - 09/03/19 05:38 PM Re: Team grades [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
If RB underperformed then Pizzabeer grade of B is not accurate, right? But I was satisfied with the long runs produced, Reduce the turnovers for Stanley by 1.5 and we may win a few this year based off the offensive play. Better 4th quarter overall since Baby was coach last year. IMO of course. Extra points aren’t always a true offensive issue.

#2042211 - 09/04/19 03:41 PM Re: Team grades [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I kind of go along with you on that pizzabeer. I thought the RBs underperformed, but I lay that on the OL. I had low expectations for the DL, so they were actually better than I expected...
...I was especially disappointed to miss a PAT. That nearly cost us the game.
The RB's had defenders on them almost immediately much of the time because the OL blew their assignments or just wiffed on blocking their guy. The OL also couldn't block for a screen play all game long. They didn't block worth a sh!t on any one of the screen plays we tried to run, often times with 1 defender blowing up the entire play by himself because no one saw fit to even attempt to block him. Many of those screen plays would have gone for good yardage too if the OL blocked anyone. You'd hope a lot of these things can be figured out with some more coaching up. I guess we'll see this Saturday if they've made steps in that direction.

The 1 thing the OL did relatively well was pass protect, but they've got a lot of things to figure out on run blocking and who should be starting on the right side of the line IMO.

I think the thing that hurt the DL play was lack of depth. Most of the guys on the DL were gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter. We saw flashes of good play from several guys in the game though.

The missed PAT was one of the weirdest and worst shanks I've seen from a kicker. I think he missed it by a good 10-15 yards wide left. Hopefully it was a one off for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview