Page 23 of 24 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2046446 - 01/29/20 07:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: moose1
Chances are slim of Wichita kids going to KU. This is not a KU town AT ALL. As a matter a fact in general Wichita is generally hostile to KU fans. There are pockets of KU fans, but in general Wichita is a WSU town, and to a lesser extent KSU. I get the feeling most the city would really like to see KU fail.
That's been the vibe I've gotten when down in Wichita for any period of time over the past few years as well. Since I was just there for a couple days here and there, didn't know if it was an accurate impression or not. That's too bad as I believe there's a few tens of thousands of KU alumni in the greater Wichita area.

Wonder if something similar goes on in other comparable cities? Tulsa for instance. Any anti OU or OSU vibe there combined with a pro U of Tulsa one?

Or cities like Springfield, Little Rock, or Omaha, etc. Except, those states only have 1 P-5 University in them and maybe that changes things.

On a Tulsa side note, it's been a while since I've spent time down there, but I do know there are quite a few KU alumni in the area. So much so, 1 of there local radio stations used to be part of the Jayhawk Network for a number of years. Believe it was the only station outside of Kansas that was an affiliate.

Yeah there is a decent amount of us in Wichita, but it is definitely the minority. The alumni and fans in Wichita (from my point of view) don't care about football. They tend to be pretty apathetic about it. I am one of the few fans that will talk football.

As for the other fanbases, if I am wearing a KU shirt it is not uncommon to get a snarky remark, even from people working in stores. I have had employees at Lowes and Walmart give me crap for being a KU fan. In my mind I am like that is pretty ballsy doing that to a customer. I won't even talk KU sports with non-KU fans.

#2046451 - 01/29/20 09:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Yardbirdbob Offline
John Brown

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: Yardbirdbob
I get it. But I've decided to invest in a nut cup. Seams like LM would tell some of the more questionable student/athletes to get their academic affairs in order before they "commit."

Isn't this 12 decommits this year? I have been following KUFB for decades and do not remember 12 in a year. But I defer to Kman Blue.

It's the most I can remember as well. I haven't looked anything up, just off the top of my head here.

We knew the staff was over-recruiting back in the Fall and many wondered how the coaches were going to make it all work out. Now some of that answer is coming out, besides the guys who've accepted non-traditional type offers and a couple who suffered severe injuries since their commitments.

Also, with the last 3 decommitments, there's a lot more to those stories than is out in the open. Sucks to have it go down like this, but I don't think KU could have taken them on signing day and we can't afford to risk any scholarships.

Valid point Kman. There have been more "commitments" than positions available for sometime now. The coaches knew some of them had to get weeded out, one way or another.

#2046453 - 01/30/20 01:19 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Yardbirdbob]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think Jones and Bryant had different reasons for decommitting and you could tell from how they handled it on twitter.

You could look at Jones twitter account and kind of tell he did not want to play football at KU. He had no recent KU related info posted. He also did not post anything about his visit to KU last weekend. When he decommitted on twitter it was just 1 sentence.

OTOH Bryant had recent positive posts about KU football on his twitter account. When he decommitted he thanked the KU coaches for recruiting him.

#2046544 - 02/03/20 01:54 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Topeka
Eli Chism decommits and takes PWO spot at Arkansas

#2046546 - 02/03/20 04:22 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Not a recruit classs issue really.....but Dom Williams announced
hes entering thetransfer portal.

#2046547 - 02/03/20 04:35 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Kansas
Dang!

#2046548 - 02/03/20 05:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I guess we should have expected good RBs like Herbert and WIlliams to want something better than a backup role.

#2046567 - 02/04/20 02:58 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Quan Hampton and Evan Fairs now in the transfer portal....crap.

I am going to miss Evan Fairs, I thought he could have had a chance at more playing time in a new offense.

#2046568 - 02/04/20 04:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Dayum! This is beginning to resemble a mass exodus. What's the deal?
And what is this new direction KU has decided to take stuff all about?
The only new direction I've heard about is that we want to start winning.

#2046570 - 02/04/20 07:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: DrGreydog]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Think both guys saw the writing on the wall and knew they'd struggle to get playing time. We've got a solid core of returning starters and it looks like the new recruits coming in are upgrades to the position, so it wouldn't get any easier to earn playing time after this coming season is over either. So, I can understand their decisions if they don't think they'll get the amount of playing time they want.

Good luck to both of them and Dom. Just think the situations they found themselves in just wasn't gonna work out the way they wanted it to here at KU.

This kind of turnover is to be expected with a new head coach. Kinda surprised we didn't lose anyone last year, but I figure guys still believed they could win spots on the 2 deep that they didn't end up winning and now have made the decision to transfer.

I'm not too worried about it all right now. We're deep at these positions and we've got quality guys coming in new on top of that. I'll start worrying if this number grows significantly or happens with some guys at positions of need, like OL or DL.

#2046571 - 02/05/20 11:50 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
National Signing Day on Wednesday coming up!

#2046572 - 02/05/20 03:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline

Been watch Chiefs parade stuff all day, haven't really paid attention to the signings. I just saw Jacboee Byrant signed late. 4 start from Alabama

#2046577 - 02/05/20 08:57 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline

Rivals has us: 7th in the big 12 and 46 nationally. 1 behind Iowa St and 1 ahead of wildrats. Signed 25 guys

#2046579 - 02/05/20 10:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Benton Smith reports on signing day.

http://m.kusports.com/news/2020/feb/05/jayhawks-add-cb-ramello-dotson-national-signing-da/

No four stars the de-committed from another college. Best high school kids in the state of Kansas and Kansas City Metro players signed with another college.

#2046580 - 02/05/20 11:29 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2020 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

All right! We got Bryant back, signed and sealed, AND another DE. And take a gander at DT Caldwell from La. Looks like DT is exactly where he belongs. LOL. Great add.
Good class. Top 50 in the country. Especially glad to see the reinforcements for the lines.
Sorry to see Hardin go elsewhere, but sure looking forward to seeing how Daniels turns out. Still curious about why he is a 2*.

Page 23 of 24 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 >

Preview