Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2041380 - 06/24/19 12:10 PM Diagnosis & Prognosis
Jayhawk1952 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

Though I seldom post on this KU football board, I’ve followed KU football for many years. I’ve enjoyed a few great seasons and some very good teams and endured a lot of seasons with results far less than hoped for.

Why hasn’t KU done better in football. In short, there’s at least two primary reasons: failure to put the necessary dollars into the program and failure to keep coaches who gave us some bright moments and hope. In almost 130 seasons we’ve had 39 head coaches! Compare that to eight basketball coaches!

It appears that the future of KU football is starting to make some good strides forward. First, they are putting more money into the program than ever before. Second, the past proves that KU can make a big leap forward quickly. Mangino showed us that and he inherited a program that wasn’t in very good shape from Allen. However, that leap forward fizzled quite quickly.

The historical bottom of KU football was probably achieved under Weis. Beaty inherited that and at least he put us in a better position than what he inherited. Miles has inherited a program somewhat similar to what Mangino stepped into, in terms of being down.

Miles is starting with a core of players that have a lot of potential. A lot of money is being thrown into the program. He has a greater core of assistants than KU has ever had. He is doing well in recruiting. Unfortunately, because of his age, there is a ceiling on how long he can stay. Hopefully, because of his experience and his success as a head coach with the financial backing by the school and supporters, he can move us to a point where we can end the coaching carousel and get the stability we need to sustain a winning program. The idea is to get our program to the point in which his successor would want to stick around for a while because we are a winning program. I’m hoping to end my days of following KU football on a high note.

#2041381 - 06/24/19 12:20 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

KU was worse under Beaty than under Weis.

2012 Charlie Weis 1–11 0–9 10th
2013 Charlie Weis 3–9 1–8 10th
2014 Charlie Weis 3–9 1–8 9th
2015 David Beaty 0–12 0–9 10th
2016 David Beaty 2–10 1–8 10th
2017 David Beaty 1–11 0–9 10th
2018 David Beaty 3–9 1–8 10th

#2041382 - 06/24/19 01:18 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
madcapper Online   content
Big Dipper

Loc: Ozarks
Geesh 52 you disapoint for even asking.

#2041386 - 06/24/19 02:12 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: JimWest]
Max Falkenstien

Win/loss records don't always tell the whole story. By the time Beaty arrived Weis had devastated what little our football program had left, the cupboard had become completely bare. He did the same thing to Notre Dame, only they were much better off when he took over than was KU and their fall wasn't as far down as KU. They were hurt by his time there. Beaty started with nothing and didn't have the experience to be able to turn KU around, though he did make us a little better.

#2041388 - 06/24/19 02:13 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
Though I seldom post on this KU football board, I’ve followed KU football for many years. I’ve enjoyed a few great seasons and some very good teams and endured a lot of seasons with results far less than hoped for.

Why hasn’t KU done better in football. In short, there’s at least two primary reasons: failure to put the necessary dollars into the program and failure to keep coaches who gave us some bright moments and hope. In almost 130 seasons we’ve had 39 head coaches! Compare that to eight basketball coaches!

It appears that the future of KU football is starting to make some good strides forward. First, they are putting more money into the program than ever before. Second, the past proves that KU can make a big leap forward quickly. Mangino showed us that and he inherited a program that wasn’t in very good shape from Allen. However, that leap forward fizzled quite quickly.

The historical bottom of KU football was probably achieved under Weis. Beaty inherited that and at least he put us in a better position than what he inherited. Miles has inherited a program somewhat similar to what Mangino stepped into, in terms of being down.

Miles is starting with a core of players that have a lot of potential. A lot of money is being thrown into the program. He has a greater core of assistants than KU has ever had. He is doing well in recruiting. Unfortunately, because of his age, there is a ceiling on how long he can stay. Hopefully, because of his experience and his success as a head coach with the financial backing by the school and supporters, he can move us to a point where we can end the coaching carousel and get the stability we need to sustain a winning program. The idea is to get our program to the point in which his successor would want to stick around for a while because we are a winning program. I’m hoping to end my days of following KU football on a high note.
You been diagnosed with something or just feel like you're getting old?

Good post and I agree with most of your diagnosis and prognosis.

#2041389 - 06/24/19 02:22 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

In 16 days I'll be 79, so guess I'm getting a bit older. I'm shooting for at least another 11 years and maybe 14 or 15 more. I'm basically in good health. As long as that remains so, I might even make 100! That would give me 88 years as a Jayhawk fan. grin

#2041391 - 06/24/19 03:44 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
In 16 days I'll be 79, so guess I'm getting a bit older. I'm shooting for at least another 11 years and maybe 14 or 15 more. I'm basically in good health. As long as that remains so, I might even make 100! That would give me 88 years as a Jayhawk fan. grin

What took you so long.... 12 years? I have been a fan since around 6 years old.
The most successful teams build their team around the quarterback.... we haven’t had such a quarterback since TR. we need the new QB that Miles brought in to be such a QB and we need to find a freshman QB for the future. It’s by far the most important position on a team in the current football era.

#2041392 - 06/24/19 04:38 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

So just a young pup with unnecessary anxiety about your longevity. LOL grin

Had a previous neighbor make it to 107 who was active (took daily 1 mile walks) right up until the day before their passing and have a current healthy active 96 year old WWII vet one now.

#2041394 - 06/24/19 05:09 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

I'm not concerned about how long I'm going to live. However, on my dad's side, his brother lived to be 92, dad 94 and his sister 98. On my mom's side she had a sister that lived to be 94 and a sister still living is 96. So, yeah, I'm still a spring chicken. Old age, though, is in my genes. Sad to say, as near as I know, none of them were Jayhawk fans, they didn't even have all that much interest in basketball. The son of my aunt that died at 94 was instrumental in me becoming a Jayhawk fan, and the son of my uncle that died at 92 is a Jayhawk fan, though not to the extent that I am.

#2041395 - 06/24/19 05:18 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

On a tangent here, as I see your username again, it makes me wonder what happened to some other users around here that also had years in their usernames.

In chronological order that I can remember off the top of my head, what happened to these board members?

kjay1955
KUFan67
Oldhawk75
rockchalk80
namohcan_99
WaHawk04
Lawhawk2011

Wish there was a way to ping members on this board to see if anyone would respond.

Any other users with dates in their names you all wonder about or maybe even know what happened to them? Or heck, any old users we haven't seen in a long time? (yes, I know the board is dead in general)

#2041396 - 06/24/19 05:42 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm not concerned about how long I'm going to live. However, on my dad's side, his brother lived to be 92, dad 94 and his sister 98. On my mom's side she had a sister that lived to be 94 and a sister still living is 96. So, yeah, I'm still a spring chicken. Old age, though, is in my genes. Sad to say, as near as I know, none of them were Jayhawk fans, they didn't even have all that much interest in basketball. The son of my aunt that died at 94 was instrumental in me becoming a Jayhawk fan, and the son of my uncle that died at 92 is a Jayhawk fan, though not to the extent that I am.
Looks like good genes run in your family!

My grandfather on my dad's side got the family into the Jayhawk family when he got a degree at KU back in the 1930's. The grandparents lived in Lawrence for several years back in the 1930's too which solidified their KU fandom. Before that, they were all too dirt poor to think about college, or even High School in many cases and didn't follow sports much as far as I know. I don't know if I can claim to be a KU football fan since this time, but my earliest KU memory is attending a football game at age 3 with my folks(both KU grads) and a bunch of their college friends. The family were in attendance or around the TV for most all KU football and basketball games growing up, but I didn't personally start following real closely until I was in Junior High though.

#2041399 - 06/24/19 07:19 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: JimWest]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: JimWest

Records can be deceiving...

#2041401 - 06/24/19 09:49 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: 58hawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: 58hawk

Damn!

I knew was blanking on someone obvious with a date in their username! crazy

#2041413 - 06/25/19 11:25 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Win/loss records don't always tell the whole story. By the time Beaty arrived Weis had devastated what little our football program had left, the cupboard had become completely bare. He did the same thing to Notre Dame, only they were much better off when he took over than was KU and their fall wasn't as far down as KU. They were hurt by his time there. Beaty started with nothing and didn't have the experience to be able to turn KU around, though he did make us a little better.

None of that is true. You Beaty fanboys will never learn.

#2041414 - 06/25/19 11:25 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: 58hawk]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: 58hawk

It is the single best metric. Period.

#2041416 - 06/25/19 11:37 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: JimWest]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
ku's situation, presently, is eons ahead of where they've been the past decade since mangino was canned. miles was the kind of guy ku needed to right the ship. it will be fascinating to watch how he coaches, as he's shown now that he can convince youngsters to play for ku and that's no small chore. however, if he does win, will ku fans pony-up some bucks and renovate putrid memorial stadium or does this all go to waste, as leslie rushes toward 70 years?

#2041417 - 06/25/19 11:48 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: tmcats]
Goober Offline
Prairie Warrior

When they do remodel, they have an outstanding example of what not to do. That eye sore and monstrosity that is "The Bill", is a shining example of how to not spend your tens of thousands.

#2041418 - 06/25/19 02:40 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Goober]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Goober
When they do remodel, they have an outstanding example of what not to do. That eye sore and monstrosity that is "The Bill", is a shining example of how to not spend your tens of thousands.

i've always taken negatives from rivals like ku fan as a compliment, goob.

#2041419 - 06/25/19 03:29 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
madcapper Online   content
Big Dipper

Loc: Ozarks
That stadium in mancrappy is a pit but typical of the city it is in.

#2041420 - 06/25/19 03:52 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: tmcats]
Max Falkenstien

Part of KU's football woes are being solved, that is those with their hands on the purse strings have and are untying them. Memorial Stadium will be renovated and will be first class.

#2041426 - 06/25/19 10:39 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Again... Why the ugly guy photos in the TM posts?

#2041427 - 06/25/19 11:38 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: tmcats
Originally Posted By: Goober

i've always taken negatives from rivals like ku fan as a compliment, goob.

Not a rival Timmy.

#2041428 - 06/25/19 11:41 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

ku's situation, presently, is eons ahead of where they've been the past decade since mangino was canned. miles was the kind of guy ku needed to right the ship. it will be fascinating to watch how he coaches, as he's shown now that he can convince youngsters to play for ku and that's no small chore. however, if he does win, will ku fans pony-up some bucks and renovate putrid memorial stadium or does this all go to waste, as leslie rushes toward 70 years?

If KU starts winning fans will show up and pony up. I have always said if your team is that bad fans will NOT show up. I think that is even true for KU basketball. If KU basketball was that bad for 10 years the stands would not be full. I guarantee if KSU had a bad run like that again there would be a lot of empty seats in the stands.

#2041429 - 06/26/19 09:34 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: KUHawkhead]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
Again... Why the ugly guy photos in the TM posts?

again, i'm making a point that woman are not sexual fantasy objects as too often portrayed on this board without dissent.

ku is a rival.

and yes, if k-state starts losing like ku has the past decade, "the bill" will be empty. i don't see that happening under chris klieman, but we shall soon see.

#2041434 - 06/26/19 03:44 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

[i] ku is a rival.

By in large the rivalry is all in Staties minds. That is why KSU fans obsess about KU, and KU fans don't give a rats behind about KSU.

In a weird way it is comforting to know your world revolves around what happens at KU.

#2041442 - 06/27/19 12:43 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

The one thing I'll say about KSU fans is that once you get out of Kansas they are few and far between so you don't have to deal with them anymore. KSU degrees do not travel well nationally.

That said, when you do encounter them, they are acutely interested in where other people went to school and, upon learning that you went to KU, will still make sure to tell you more about KU athletics than you even care about. I submit this is a product of an inferior, rural-focused, institution.

People with a proper pedigree can determine the quality of others without asking. KSU people, with their strangely blotchy-red pudgy faces, are incapable of assimilating into higher society and have to behave in a crass manner at all times.

#2041443 - 06/27/19 08:14 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Assimilation is what everyone should strive for...what are we the "Borg".. Although you are somewhat accurate on your description of KStaters you perception of the rest of so called normal society is askew. Variety is the spice of life other wise most would'nt accept your "Prescilla Queen of the Desert" lifestyle.

#2041449 - 06/27/19 10:21 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: PHOGUSHER]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

some discussions here are hard to comprehend much less counter.

#2041453 - 06/27/19 11:34 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

One must have the intellect to comprehend...I will just leave it at that..but on Jimbo's point about KSuckers I have a little story. My nephews sophmore year at Auburn...KState played a football game there..local sports showed all the KState rubes amongst the Auburn tailgating crowd.

The KSuckers were cheap tshirt and denim wearing hayseeds in the well dressed War Eagle crowd. The Auburn fans was wondering where the hell the KSuck fans parked their hay wagons and tractors...SEC football fans dress up nice ...most are class acts.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (06/27/19 11:36 AM)

#2041454 - 06/27/19 11:38 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: PHOGUSHER]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

yep, k-state fans dress in jeans while southern girls wear dresses to football games.

#2041457 - 06/27/19 11:56 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Serious question: why do most K-State fans have blotchy-red faces?

#2041462 - 06/27/19 02:42 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: JimWest]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

serious ans: perhaps you're due for eye surgery?

#2041464 - 06/27/19 03:21 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
A: lupus

it's contracted from extended contact with livestock, primarily sheeep

#2041467 - 06/27/19 05:19 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

I'm sure that your answer was meant to be funny in response to tmcats. I have no problem with humor, but your answer hit a raw nerve for me as I find no humor in Lupus. Lupus is an insidious auto-immune disease. My first wife was diagnosed with it in 1979. The doctor told us that the average life span after being diagnosed was five years. Her prayer was that God would give her enough time to see all of our children graduate from high school. That would necessitate 13 years, well beyond five years. Her body was severely affected by it. At one point, several years later, she was in so much pain that she prayed God would let her die. Her mother responded, "Now which prayer is God suppose to answer?" She lived for 28 years after being diagnosed, 15 years more than she needed to see all of her kids graduate. I wouldn't wish Lupus on my worst enemy. As I said, "It hits a raw nerve for me." I'm not offended by your remark as you meant nothing by it concerning me. I would just ask that you be careful how you refer to Lupus.

#2041468 - 06/27/19 05:32 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Sad story.... learn something every day. We all have the same goal on this forum.... get news on Ku football and hope the kstate idiot never posts here again. He is such a sorry ass to have to post on a ku message board.

#2041469 - 06/27/19 05:38 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm sure that your answer was meant to be funny in response to tmcats. I have no problem with humor, but your answer hit a raw nerve for me as I find no humor in Lupus. Lupus is an insidious auto-immune disease. My first wife was diagnosed with it in 1979. The doctor told us that the average life span after being diagnosed was five years. Her prayer was that God would give her enough time to see all of our children graduate from high school. That would necessitate 13 years, well beyond five years. Her body was severely affected by it. At one point, several years later, she was in so much pain that she prayed God would let her die. Her mother responded, "Now which prayer is God suppose to answer?" She lived for 28 years after being diagnosed, 15 years more than she needed to see all of her kids graduate. I wouldn't wish Lupus on my worst enemy. As I said, "It hits a raw nerve for me." I'm not offended by your remark as you meant nothing by it concerning me. I would just ask that you be careful how you refer to Lupus.

'52, she must have been an amazing woman. thanks for sharing your story.

#2041472 - 06/27/19 05:55 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: tmcats]
Max Falkenstien

She was.

#2041475 - 06/27/19 08:33 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Aha. Figures.

#2041476 - 06/27/19 08:34 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Save the soapbox for somewhere that cares. His answer was spot on.

#2041477 - 06/27/19 08:40 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: JimWest]
Max Falkenstien

Guess that's what I'd expect from you. I think KUCO_VOC is better than that.

Edited by Jayhawk1952 (06/27/19 08:42 PM)

#2041478 - 06/27/19 09:49 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: JimWest]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LOL!!

That's extremely rich coming from you!

#2041480 - 06/27/19 10:40 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Kman_blue]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
LOL!!

Right. You are the one that ridicules child rape victims. Never forget.

#2041481 - 06/27/19 10:41 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Better than what? You think he is joking to make fun of you? He's not and neither am I, except about your obvious ruralite mind.

#2041482 - 06/27/19 11:55 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: JimWest]
Max Falkenstien

Better than what? You think he is joking to make fun of you? He's not and neither am I, except about your obvious ruralite mind.

You need to learn to read. He was clearly referring to tmcats. He had no intention of referring to me. Both were very clear to me. My remark about KUCO_VOC meant that he is a better person than to intentionally put down someone who had Lupus like my wife. I'll leave it at that.

#2041483 - 06/28/19 12:41 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

You need to learn to read. He was clearly referring to tmcats. He had no intention of referring to me. Both were very clear to me. My remark about KUCO_VOC meant that he is a better person than to intentionally put down someone who had Lupus like my wife. I'll leave it at that.

No [censored].

#2041484 - 06/28/19 08:14 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Is the walk on DB, that is transferring to Delaware, the only player lost during this coaching change?

#2041489 - 06/28/19 12:00 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Whats this...actual football talk..good job vmlb...

#2041490 - 06/28/19 12:03 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: JimWest]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LOL!!

Right. You are the one that ridicules child rape victims. Never forget.
Not once did I do that. Not once.

You are an individual and I may ridicule YOU from time to time, but I NEVER said a thing about or directed anything at "child rape victims".

You do a lot of projecting.

#2041491 - 06/28/19 12:08 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: vmlb
Is the walk on DB, that is transferring to Delaware, the only player lost during this coaching change?
Bastida was kicked off the team back in January or December or so...I think another preferred walkon transferred out as well. Don't think anyone else has left though.

The word I've been hearing from people is that virtually all of the team has not only bought into the new coaching staff's message, they all are quite excited and energized about the new coaching staff and coach Miles. The coaches have done a great job in the transition. It's night and day better than how some of our other more recent staffs have handled things.

Edited by Kman_blue (06/28/19 12:11 PM)

#2041492 - 06/28/19 12:08 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Kansas hired its last head coach, David Beaty, in large part for his recruiting prowess. Beaty helped raise the talent level somewhat following the Charlie Weis debacle, but he was never able to turn slightly higher recruiting rankings into wins, finishing his four-year tenure with a 6-43 overall record. Not only did Beaty’s decision to sign a combined 25 junior college players from 2017-18 not pay off in the standings, but the Jayhawks are in an even bigger hole now than the one he inherited from Weis." This is a subject that I agree upon that Betty has left us far worse off...any takers on this subject?

#2041494 - 06/28/19 12:48 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'll bite.
Charlie didn't inherit the problem, he created it. He is the one who booted a large number of returning players.Our team this year and in the future will have more scholly players, because Les hasn't booted half the returning players off the team, then told everyone they were academic ineligible.

#2041495 - 06/28/19 01:09 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Candy bar man" Turner Gill was able to "fudge" two years out of Kansas University and left a chocolate mess everywhere for Scooterman. And yes the kids booted were academic mental midgets. That was evident years later when nobody booted resurfaced with other P5 D1 teams in any significant fashion.

If anyone started this fiasco, it's Gill. But my opinion was on who left a worse roster issue at the end of their rein - Weis or Betty?

Les Miles will be struggling until 2022 ends to fill the entire roster with legitimate 4 year players, not 1-3 year, less committed, castoffs from other programs.

#2041498 - 06/28/19 03:56 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Max Falkenstien

Beaty left Miles with better players than Weis left Beaty. Miles will have a better first year partly because of that.

#2041500 - 06/28/19 04:02 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
"Candy bar man" Turner Gill was able to "fudge" two years out of Kansas University and left a chocolate mess everywhere for Scooterman. And yes the kids booted were academic mental midgets. That was evident years later when nobody booted resurfaced with other P5 D1 teams in any significant fashion.

If anyone started this fiasco, it's Gill. But my opinion was on who left a worse roster issue at the end of their rein - Weis or Betty?

Les Miles will be struggling until 2022 ends to fill the entire roster with legitimate 4 year players, not 1-3 year, less committed, castoffs from other programs.

Fault? I put the entirety of this past decade squarely on the shoulders of Lew Perkins. I can't fault Gill for taking the job....but alas, he was a "metal midget" himself! Weis was Zenger's "answer"...anyone who can fail in South Bend has NO CHANCE in Larryville. Beaty made Zenger a two time loser.....don't forget, Beaty was hired because "He can recruit Texas!" Last season he had more kids from Lawrence on the roster than kids from Bevoland.

Miles will right the ship and I for one don't think it will take him 3 or 4 years. I honestly think we win 5, maybe 6 this fall and are bowling in 2020.

#2041503 - 06/28/19 04:44 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Gill was gameball 2.0 and let the players get away with just about anything off the field, including but not limited to failing in the classroom. That was gonna leave some roster holes no matter what (and it did). If he had been allowed to stick around there would have been a much bigger hole.

Weis came in and took a wrecking ball to the roster and took long shot chances on a ton of JUCO's who had issues of all kinds, like academic questions, personality problems, legal problems, etc. When a high percentage of those guys failed to even show up in Lawrence much less show up on the field and actually contribute it put us in a giant hole we're still trying to dig out of.

Beaty came in a did a lot of creative things to try and shorten the digging time and many of those things worked to a point. He couldn't coach well enough to keep his job and he knew it was do or die time last year(he was more or less told so) so he took some riskier shortcuts in the 2018 class which left us with a large class imbalance. But he still left KU in much better shape roster wise than Weis did because as Jayhawk1952 pointed out, he left much better players overall, as well as more recruited scholarship players overall.

Miles knows exactly what he wants with the roster and has the experience as well as the behind the scenes assurances from higher ups to get it there in the way of his choosing. He's got a long rope to work with so he doesn't feel any pressure to take a bunch of shortcuts. He's taken a few, and IMHO they look like prudent moves. I think he'll do just fine with our roster within then next couple of years. He caught most people off guard last year with the number of recruits he pulled in because most thought there was no way we had enough wiggle room of any kind (blueshirt, grayshirt, whatever) to pull in more than 17 or 18 recruits at most. He's going to do the same for the 2020 class. My bet is he has KU's roster numbers close to the national averages as well as much more balanced class wise by the 2021 season unless he gets the NCAA to change some things or give KU a waiver of some kind(both things he's been pushing within the coaching community and with the NCAA from what I understand) then it'll happen sooner.

#2041504 - 06/28/19 04:47 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Miles will right the ship and I for one don't think it will take him 3 or 4 years. I honestly think we win 5, maybe 6 this fall and are bowling in 2020.
I think we've potentially got the talent to win 5 or 6 games this year and even go bowling. Heck, Pooka alone could help us win 1 or 2 games nobody thought we would. You just never know for sure though how quickly players will get acclimated on the field playing in new systems and that could bite us in a couple games too.

#2041508 - 06/28/19 06:32 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Other then OU and Texas the rest is up for grabs so I think we have a shot at winning 5 games.

#2041513 - 06/29/19 10:34 AM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I like the optimistic view 58. But I think the biggest support of that view are the last two games of last year, which IIRC were vs OU and Tejas, and we made their life miserable in both those games. Seemed as though Beatty had finally stumbled upon our formula for winning and damn near pulled it off. IF we can play up to the level at which we finished last season AND the new staff develops players with improved efficiency, we very well could be in the hunt for a significantly improved win/loss record in Miles inaugural season.
So,I'll join you in taking the "over" contrarian view.

#2041528 - 06/30/19 03:13 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: appyhawk]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I like the optimistic view 58. But I think the biggest support of that view are the last two games of last year, which IIRC were vs OU and Tejas, and we made their life miserable in both those games. Seemed as though Beatty had finally stumbled upon our formula for winning and damn near pulled it off. IF we can play up to the level at which we finished last season AND the new staff develops players with improved efficiency, we very well could be in the hunt for a significantly improved win/loss record in Miles inaugural season.
So,I'll join you in taking the "over" contrarian view.

I'll be the pessimist and tell you OU and Tejas just "threw their helmets on the field" when they played us.
Just wanted to also say the new LB signee, Hatcher, is using my workout regiment. I also added 30 lbs. by eating more.

#2041536 - 07/01/19 03:38 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'll be the pessimist and tell you OU and Tejas just "threw their helmets on the field" when they played us.
OU ran into the Pooka monster and had no answer, but they tried as hard as they could. UT's D ran out of gas in the 2nd half and KU finally took advantage. Don't think either team was just going through the motions.

Just wanted to also say the new LB signee, Hatcher, is using my workout regiment. I also added 30 lbs. by eating more.
LOL! I certainly hope that's not all that happened with Hatcher. Hopefully genes, hormones, and natural development had something more to do with it.

#2041537 - 07/01/19 05:18 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas

[quote=vmlb]Just wanted to also say the new LB signee, Hatcher, is using my workout regiment. I also added 30 lbs. by eating more.
LOL! I certainly hope that's not all that happened with Hatcher. Hopefully genes, hormones, and natural development had something more to do with it.

Makes me recall the Bugeaters back in the 70's and 80's...some 18 year old walk-on would disappear into the bowels of Memorial Stadium at 6'6" and 200 pounds....re-emerge 2 years later weighing in at 325. laugh

#2041538 - 07/01/19 05:41 PM Re: Diagnosis & Prognosis [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

This thread morphed into numbers of wins which is fine with me. I like the long time coming optimists view of 5-6 winners. I will agree that with a REAL college coach, our record is due to get a rebound. Players gotta believe to win. Betty had no belief among his roster or coaches or KU fans.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview