Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2040511 - 04/22/19 02:51 PM Who Starts @ PF next season?
crooner Offline
Junior Jayhawk

OK, so we have a number of solid players returning next season, and a couple of exciting HSers to add perimeter depth. Dotson, Grimes, Garrett/Ochaji and Azubuike leave us set at 4 positions.

We seem to be missing a stud "HI" for Self's HI-LO offense at the 4-spot. I know that Self has gotten creative in the past, and I want to know how you think that we will solve the open starting spot. Here are the main options IMO:

SILVIO DE SOUZA: the incumbent, IF he wins his appeal. He looked good in flashes in early 2018, and will have 2 years of training in Self's system over anyone else. He's tough and efficient around the basket, but not the smartest defender and kind of redundant next to Udoka.

PRECIOUS ACHIUWA: a long, strong, "quick-twitch" athlete with great finishing ability, and some mid-range touch. IMO, he's not an instant impact stud, and he doesn't stretch the floor, which may pose a problem since none of our other starters do either.

TJ HOLYFIELD / KERRY BLACKSHEAR: I know that they are different players, but for the purposes of our perspective, I'm considering "graduate transfer" as a single option. Both are full-sized bruisers who can defend and stretch the floor, exactly what we need. But transfers don't always pan out for us, especially without a season to study the system before playing.

We could legitimately start Lightfoot, or start 4 true perimeter players. But I think those are longer odds than the 3 options listed above. Share your thoughts; thanks!

#2040517 - 04/22/19 04:07 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Hi: Tough call and maybe by committee. The supremely uncommitted but great OAD loser we had there in the tourney, Andrew Wiggans, was a certified loser. Hard to be a good passer when you don't really give a shight.

I'd thing some experience like a 2nd or 3rd year could be a valuable asset in the middle.

As it worked at TT in 18-91 and for Bob Knights Indiana in it's time, a motion offense might find some time at KU. That is essentially what numberless players run in the NBA. I think Self is more flexible than some think. Also I'd believe it takes more time for cohesion as a team.

Maybe there is some way we can direct the offense so we always get the ball out under our basket? One of Self's offensive strengths.

#2040585 - 04/26/19 03:26 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
Why isn't Lightizzle an option?

#2040586 - 04/26/19 05:32 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
KU7679 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Did I miss something about Grimes? How is he set at the 2? And how is Ochai/Garrett a done deal when we are still recruiting HS players and transfers at wing positions? Dotson is set if he comes back but I'm also unaware that he is a certainty to be back. In other words your thread should be about who plays the 1, 2 3 and 4.

#2040587 - 04/26/19 05:43 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Lightfoot seems likely unless we sign a PF or maybe they decide to go with 4 guards and Dok.

#2040590 - 04/26/19 06:29 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: B_of_H]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Cmon you are smarter than that aren't you....did you take a Titelist off the noggin...

#2040612 - 04/30/19 01:00 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Cmon you are smarter than that aren't you....did you take a Titelist off the noggin...

the fizz, as I like to call him, is becoming my new favorite player.

#2040616 - 04/30/19 02:39 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
Original AFH Gangsta

He may be a favorite but if he is getting most of the 4 position minutes next season we might be in trouble...no offense to the fizz.

#2040679 - 05/08/19 11:58 AM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
He may be a favorite but if he is getting most of the 4 position minutes next season we might be in trouble...no offense to the fizz.

true, I thought you knew I was kidding. I mean have I ever liked a tyler/murphy tweener?

#2040680 - 05/08/19 12:37 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
Original AFH Gangsta

All the time...Tyler Morningreed was your fav...

#2040682 - 05/08/19 01:10 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Our true 4's of recent memory:

Carlton Bragg - flame out
Diallo - eligibility probs>OAD
Traylor - severely limited offensively
Ellis - solid tweener, lacked ability to bang but didn't get to play the 3 much
Young - played really well despite lack of size and talent
Peters - biggest flame out in program history?

Edited by B_of_H (05/08/19 01:11 PM)

#2040684 - 05/08/19 02:08 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Not one mention of our newbie.
At 6-foot-9, 205 pounds, Enaruna possesses the size and skills to play a number of different positions and do different things on the floor.

“I think one of the most noticeable things about me is just my versatility," he said. "Like being able to play different positions, guard different positions and doing a lot of different stuff on the court. I like to handle the ball and get my teammates involved. I really like to pass. People think that I’m really looking to score a lot, but I love passing.”

Having said that, putting points on the board is also a strength of Enaruna's, according to KU's newest player.

“Scoring is another thing that’s one of my other strengths," he said. "Post-ups, jump shots, 3s and I really like to play in the pick and roll.”
http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2019/may/7/4-star-forward-tristan-enaruna-picks-kan/

#2040695 - 05/09/19 04:54 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
Original AFH Gangsta

B o H is a gaysayer naysayer...

#2040707 - 05/10/19 09:25 AM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: crooner]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Enaruna is more 3 than 4. We'll see but does he beat out the fizzle at 4 in his frosh year? probably not but possible.

#2040712 - 05/10/19 05:02 PM Re: Who Starts @ PF next season? [Re: B_of_H]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Originally Posted By: B_of_H
Our true 4's of recent memory:
Carlton Bragg - flame out

Carlton Bragg is an eligible college graduate transfer. Wonder if he would come back to KU?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview