Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2040382 - 04/14/19 05:44 PM Re: spring game [Re: DrGreydog]
Josh2408 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana
How did the team look for the game? What was expected? The offense to look better or the Defense? What was the final score?

#2040383 - 04/14/19 06:09 PM Re: spring game [Re: DrGreydog]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Those 77 recruits might of been the total attendance. I took a gander at it on Spectrum and at least one side of the stadium was empty..

#2040384 - 04/14/19 06:12 PM Re: spring game [Re: DrGreydog]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Ok there were several thousand there...I was looking at the wrong side of the stadium.

#2040386 - 04/15/19 11:34 AM Re: spring game [Re: PHOGUSHER]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Ok there were several thousand there...I was looking at the wrong side of the stadium.

The only opened the west stands. I'd say there were as many in attendance as we averaged in 2018. Very solid turnout.

#2040396 - 04/15/19 09:04 PM Re: spring game [Re: DrGreydog]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
I'm digging how things are going so far

#2040414 - 04/16/19 10:42 PM Re: spring game [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Josh2408
How did the team look for the game? What was expected? The offense to look better or the Defense? What was the final score?
Overall, the first teamers looked good on both sides of the ball. The 2nd team O looked good as well, but the 2nd team D looked poor in the front 7 to me.

I'd say the best and deepest looking position groups were the DB group along with the RB's. Even without Pooka playing, our RB's looked very good and deep. I think we've got 3 very good RB's and another couple who are solid behind them still. Our DB's played really well also. Ferguson was all over the place and Torneden was flying around looking good too. Lee looked very good on run support as usual and real solid on pass coverage. I think both those groups will be among the best in the Big 12 at their positions.

Our OL looks better than it has in years and we've actually got some good depth here too. That may not be saying much when compared to how poor both the depth and play of our OL has been most of the past 10 years or so, but they looked like a solid Big 12 level OL to me which is a huge deal. They played best when run blocking, but struggled some on the pass blocking. Looked like they had the most difficulty when dealing with speed rushers on the ends in the pass blocking.

The LB's and DL look to be a work in progress but with some good pieces to work with. We're currently too thin at DL and LB. The 1st team guys played well, but beyond that a lot of guys are still finding their way or struggled. Just hope the guys coming this summer can help out both groups right away and I think several will.

The QB's looked OK overall, but not great. We've got some guys who can really run well at the QB spot though. Locklin looked very athletic and fast, while MacVittie looked like a load and was fast. Nobody threw the ball particularly well, but looked serviceable with MacVittie throwing the best ball though Fallin, the walk-on from Cali threw a nice ball too IMO.

In this new RPO style O though, I don't think the QB's being really good passers is going to be nearly as important as it is if we were going to still run some version of the air raid. The key here is quick good decision making and we look to have a couple guys who do that well. Also the ability of a QB to run the ball well in this O is big and we look to have some guys who can do that.

Just realized I forgot to mention the WR's. Takulve Williams looked really good and showed some impressive moves and serious speed. He looked to be being used more as a slot WR than a straight up WR though. Lassiter and Naylor looked good too. Neither played flawlessly and had a couple missed opportunities, but otherwise played well. Parchment struggled and had some dropped balls he should of caught. Charlot looked a lot quicker than he has since he's been at KU and he played well overall, but also had a couple dropped balls which is very unlike him. Kid has an iron grip and will out muscle just about anyone else for possession of the ball normally. Robinson played alright and had at least 1 good catch that I remember. I think we've got some good WR's that bring some different aspects to each of their games. If the QB's can get the ball close enough to them, I think they'll make most catches as they've got some really good size and strength and enough speed to make plays. I say it this way because I don't think our QB's have to make perfect passes to several of these guys to make completions as some of our WR's have an impressive catch radius.

Those are my impressions of what I saw. Hopefully someone else will chime in with theirs too.

#2040416 - 04/17/19 10:45 AM Re: spring game [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER

The only opened the west stands. I'd say there were as many in attendance as we averaged in 2018. Very solid turnout.
Kudos to you beena for attending, if that's accurate.

Planning on being at the opening home game for the hopeful energy provided by Miles hiring. Not expecting a sudden surge of support but it will build IMO.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview