Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2040066 - 03/30/19 02:23 PM Durant, Beasley, or Zion?
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
With all the hype surrounding Zion, is he as good as either Durant or Beasley?

I think as far as talent goes, Durant was more dominant in the NCAA, and didn't have 3 other 1st rounders surrounding him. Beasley was dominant with less talent.

I think Durant was a better college player and we all know how his career has faired in the NBA.

#2040068 - 03/30/19 06:45 PM Re: Durant, Beasley, or Zion? [Re: Jaycat92]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

Zion has been hyped more than just about any player has at the collegiate level, maybe the magic/bird matchup era being the exception. And mainly the hype has surrounded either his build or leaing ability. If you were to look at the main fundamentals though, the hype may be somewhat (but not completely) misplaced.

Zion still shoots a set shot when at any range and the form is out-front and wouldn’t be considered close to mature. No comparison on any level shooting wise to Durant. Comparisons to Beasley would be closer but Beasley was the better shooter.

Zion does not have good handles and could be something that keeps him from being in the elite professional camp. Durant wasn’t the best in that area in college either but is pretty good now given his height and distance of dribble. Beasley probably takes this one by default if one is talking collegiate comparisons.

Physicality would go to Zion. Rebounding is difficult with Durant being almost 7ft. But Zion brings energy and so that probably goes to him.

I wouldn’t consider any of the three the best of collegiate defenders. Take your pick. Probably Zion but couod be Beasley.

Overall athleticism (not just strength) would seem to go to Zion but really Durant was pretty athletic as well. Probably Zion though.

If all three were entering the draft at the same time and you had to pick someone who would be with your organization for his whole career, Durant would be the obvious best pick. It becomes harder between Beasley and Zion because while Zion brings you relentless energy that Beasley didn’t always bring, his unrefined scoring/shooting techniques away from the basket is way more limited than Beasley’s game was. In the end I think you’d have to take Zion only because of his energy/drive and quick second leap rebounding/blocking ability. But for sure, Beasley was far more refined than Zion currently is.

#2040090 - 03/31/19 12:03 AM Re: Durant, Beasley, or Zion? [Re: Jaycat92]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

Why are we including Beasley in this at all? He is several tiers below Durant and Zion.

#2040093 - 03/31/19 09:04 AM Re: Durant, Beasley, or Zion? [Re: Jaycat92]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Indeed...man I hate agreeing with Jimbo...

#2040096 - 03/31/19 09:32 AM Re: Durant, Beasley, or Zion? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Indeed...man I hate agreeing with Jimbo...

You agree with me all the time, but you just don't know how to read so you end up rephrasing my points with vitriol.

#2040103 - 03/31/19 12:35 PM Re: Durant, Beasley, or Zion? [Re: Jaycat92]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
VITRIOL...YES...

#2040106 - 03/31/19 03:56 PM Re: Durant, Beasley, or Zion? [Re: JimWest]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: JimWest
Why are we including Beasley in this at all? He is several tiers below Durant and Zion.

AS a college player, Beasley was dominant, when not tweaking on the reefer.

Preview