Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2039900 - 03/24/19 01:47 PM Really folks..
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
we have nothing to complain about...in Bills 16 yrs at KU he has :
1. Lost in round 1 twice.
2. Lost in round 2 four times.
3. Lost in the S16 twice.
4. Made it to the Elite 8 and sometime beyond 8 times including 3 Final 4s and 2 NC games winning one.

Thats not bad.

#2039907 - 03/24/19 03:18 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Bohemia
So we agree then, it is time to get rid of him.

Do we hire Steve Kerr or bring back Larry Brown?

#2039908 - 03/24/19 04:10 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

38-15 NCAA Tourney record under Self. Not bad.

#2039913 - 03/24/19 05:21 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Larry Brown...nah the Okie aint going anywhere...we will give him 3 more years tops.

#2039914 - 03/24/19 05:33 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
38-15 record in the NCAA is good. I think that Self has gotten complacent in the last few years with recruiting. Thats hard to say when you have 4 and 5 star talent on a roster, but I think he has gotten a little lazy with what type of player to recruit.

Self frustrates me with the fact that he doesn't change his approach much, but his record as a coach is pretty great overall.

#2039921 - 03/24/19 07:36 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: Jaycat92]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Originally Posted By: Jaycat92
I think that Self has gotten complacent in the last few years with recruiting. Thats hard to say when you have 4 and 5 star talent on a roster, but I think he has gotten a little lazy with what type of player to recruit.

I think it's too many 1 and dones. Once self got that taste of a National Title in 08 he tried to go the route of Kentucky to get another. I'd take the Frank Mason, Devonte Graham, Thomas Robinson types over the Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Josh Jackson, Kelly Oubre types anyday. The players that make it to their Jr and Sr years are just as good as the 1 and done freshman but the older players have that heart and investment in the program. Only Lightfoot and Garrett can claim that this year.

#2039924 - 03/24/19 08:06 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

But to do that it will take too long to form a solid team...he will continue to try to recruit the best available that Duke and Kentucky dont get...like their leftovers. Thats a shame.

#2039925 - 03/24/19 08:50 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I am always amazed at how Mark Few manages to find players others have missed and get them playing team ball at a high level.

#2039926 - 03/24/19 09:00 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

"Mason et. al. vs. Wiggans & Embiid. " Of that bunch I saw Josh Jackson who really got off the bus, to paraphrase Coach Self , IMHO. The rest though will anticipate the now I-won't-jeopardize-my-potential-value of non player objectors in minor and some major bowl games. I'm still incredulous though, that an Andrew Wiggans...or anyone... would slough off in THE TOURNEY. For chrissake, why would you THEN give this character disorder... big bucks? And Kelly Oubre? Damn...I'd rather lose or play with someone without their attitude. Be glad they're not in your foxhole. Embiid is just a clown. He's trying to replace Dukie Vitalee.

For that matter attitudes and bodies mature in the 17 to 23 years. Utah always had a good team as MEN came back from their missions and had a good attitude as they no longer wore crummy suits. I'd think 23 beats 18 more often then not, despite what ESPN experts or hamburgers will say. Vietnam vets kicked ass in my first college go around, despite mediocre SAT's. Poor test takers. No parents to get them in USC. They were just imperturbable.

Iowa came back today andtied their game go to overtime. They were down 25 at one point. I'd bet they have a poorer "athletic" scale then this year's KU, I'd bet they had few, if any, 5-stars or hamburgers or utube dunk highlight reels.

I want Izzo to square off against the Pukes.

#2039927 - 03/24/19 10:05 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Well if you are saying the one and done recruits Self has gotten like as you say Oubre..Embiid...Wiggins had no heart to perform to their full potential at KU I might have to agree with you.

Ks one and dones show far more loyalty and gives more effort than any Selfs OADs...maybe Josh Jackson did...Bill needs to follow Izzos plan and get solid 3 and 4 star guys. I hope he can change his way of doing things or I am afraid we will never see another NC at old KU. At least not under his regime.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (03/24/19 10:06 PM)

#2039929 - 03/25/19 12:38 AM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
I think the one and done rule will be going away and sooner rather than later. Once it is done away with we won’t have to worry about those players anymore.

#2039930 - 03/25/19 02:50 AM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Gap year: In the UK, I don't know about here, there is this situation, maybe akin to spring break. An entitlement. Called a gap year. Before you are emersed in your adult career, you are entitled to a free year doing nothing. The signature is backpacking in southeast Asia. What I used to call "goofing off". Again,,,for the darlings...a reprieve from adulthood. Our reprieve used to be called "a war".

A friend suggested when I had wondered why those OAD's don't go elsewhere to make big bucks with experience, patiently explained..."it's their gap year".

BINGO!!! The light went on.

#2039931 - 03/25/19 02:59 AM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Self, not bad.: Considering Avery Johnson at Alabama is getting $3 million to get lost?? Johnson was a flim-flam loser. Like Johnny Jones at LSU with that kid from Australia, who was ESPN/Walt Disney click bait for that year. (? On 76ers). Pre Trae Young and Zion. ? Simmons?

Johnson made the tourney one year. For some crackers.

Losers in college. Losers in what-do-you-call-it? The National Boring Association. One on five for 10 seconds.

#2039953 - 03/25/19 05:33 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

My opinion on OADS is unless you get the best, its not worth it. Whether thats the best point guard or the best power forward, get the best at that position and build around that guy with glue players.

The one thing that I wish we would not do is bring in 3 transfers during one recruiting year. Dedric is ok, worth the years wait, but Moore and KJ belong back where they came from. If Dedric leaves and takes KJ with him, no big loss in my book. Moore reminds of a junior high player with all the mistakes he makes. Could he improve some and be a good second unit ball handler, maybe.

#2039954 - 03/25/19 05:35 PM Re: Really folks.. [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Well if you are saying the one and done recruits Self has gotten like as you say Oubre..Embiid...Wiggins had no heart to perform to their full potential at KU I might have to agree with you.

Ks one and dones show far more loyalty and gives more effort than any Selfs OADs...maybe Josh Jackson did...Bill needs to follow Izzos plan and get solid 3 and 4 star guys. I hope he can change his way of doing things or I am afraid we will never see another NC at old KU. At least not under his regime.

So is it a coaching issue or a player/culture issue with these players not giving it their all or buying in 100%?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview