Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2039148 - 03/04/19 10:49 AM Fan Day Signing Experience (March 3)
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Attended the recent "Fan Day Signing Experience". Event was well organized and the tour of what every recruit experiences during a visit was pretty well covered. Staff toured fans through the Anderson Complex, from the meeting rooms, Strength/Conditioning areas, Locker Room and players lounge. The highlight for me though was the new indoor facility, which while impressive enough on it's own, paled to the thoughts of each of the assistant coaches about why they are at Kansas and what working for Les Miles means to them. Each and every coach stated that they are NOT here to simply go to an occasional bowl game, but to WIN Big XII and NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS! Clint Bowen pointed out that Miles had changed the culture of the program in 90 days, echoed by Coach Hull. There is now a commitment to excel that hasn't been around for at least 10 years.

Of course one of the main, if not the MAIN reason for this event was to ask those in attendance to be in attendance come game days and to bring as many Jayhawks into Old Memorial as possible. Bowen pointed out that when packed, the place is as hostile for an opponent as any in the country, when crowds are like they have been the past few years, opponents circle the "W" before they even play the game.

In any event, I for one think that after 50 years of following the Grid Hawks, that the entire University, from Chancellor to part-time assistants and everyone in between, there is now a commitment to excellence for the football team. The message sent by the no-shows (and I was one of them, letting my season tickets go after 45 years!) has been received and the first page of a new era has been written. Come this fall, let all Jayhawks once again pack Old Memorial and start letting those wins pile up.

BTW: One of the Associate AD's stated that Miles had more wins while at LSU than the last 5 KU coaches win records combined.

Rock Chalk!

#2039153 - 03/04/19 12:55 PM Re: Fan Day Signing Experience (March 3) [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Good to see you've been won back over Beenhawk!

But, I thought you had let your WEF donations lapse also or did you let them lapse then donate again with Long being hired or something?

#2039154 - 03/04/19 12:57 PM Re: Fan Day Signing Experience (March 3) [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Miles and his staff must be doing something right. You have been one of the most outspoken critics of KU football direction the last few years and they seem to have you pumped and on board. That's good to hear.

#2039161 - 03/04/19 04:27 PM Re: Fan Day Signing Experience (March 3) [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Long's hiring and subsequent canning of Beaty and the hiring of a PROVEN Head Coach with the assembling of a first rate staff for each and every position brought this old Hawk back into the nest.

I have a very strong feeling that we will see immediate results on the field. Geesh, had Miles been head man in 2018 we probably would have won at least 6 games just avoiding Beaty bonehead moves and repeated checks of his damn analytic charts! Me thinks we win 7 this fall and they haven't even had a practice yet!

I know it all sounds hyperbolic, but I've been a Hawk for far too long and honestly don't know how much time I have left to see another winner...so I might as well go all in on this effort. Like I said, KU as an institution from the Chancellor down to the custodial staff is all in, why not me? smile

#2039162 - 03/04/19 05:15 PM Re: Fan Day Signing Experience (March 3) [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
Miles and his staff must be doing something right. You have been one of the most outspoken critics of KU football direction the last few years and they seem to have you pumped and on board. That's good to hear.

I am pumped up! The ONLY thing that still disturbs me is the plethora of uniform combinations. Saw all of the different looks in the locker room. Personally, I think too many looks and a team has NO identity. And those damn "chrome" deals make it all but impossible to distinguish a players number. I'm okay with some different helmet options but think we need to go classic blue with white numerals at home and white with blue on the road, blue pants away and white at home. Crimson striping on uniforms is fine by me. But silver./chrome is simply NOT one of our colors and has no place on any of our uniforms. So, since everything else is moving towards PROFESSIONALISM with our grid program, maybe Coach Miles can tell Adidas to take the damn circus/clown act out of the uniforms!

Preview