Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2038974 - 02/24/19 10:50 PM Big Wide Receivers
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Miles is loading up on big wide outs. Did he do this at LSU or is this new? Do you think it may signal how they will want to play? Maybe throw up more jump balls and just have our guys come down with it.

#2038982 - 02/25/19 10:26 AM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
There are different kinds of "big" when it comes to receivers. Tight ends are usually of good size and heft. They can really benefit the running game if good blockers, not to mention ball control passing schemes (see NE Patriots).
Tall, rangy, wideouts with speed can be a great advantage over smaller DBs, but they also can tend to be injury prone. That tendency could be reason for seeking depth. Proof of their advantage can be seen on McVittie's recruit film. A number of those highlights were due to a taller wideout outreaching shorter DBs, even though the ball was thrown into tight or double coverage. That points out why some defences (see Seattle Seahawks) value fast, taller, corners.
It will be very interesting to see what offensive scheme our new OC comes up with.

#2039000 - 02/25/19 02:35 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I had it in my mind that coach Miles always had bigger WR's while he was coaching at LSU, but that's purely my impression based on watching them from time to time over the years. So, I looked up their starting WR's in their National Championship year and their 3 starting WR's were 6'0" 176lbs., 6'0" 207lbs., and 6'3" 195lbs. I'd say 2 of those guys qualify as bigger WR's, though only 1 was a tall WR.

Seems coach Miles and his offensive staff believe having both bigger and taller WR's in this conference is going to be an advantage. As it looks like we plan on running a largely RPO heavy O, I bet our WR's are gonna be asked to do a lot of blocking in addition to running routes and catching passes. The coaches are still recruiting a few smaller very fast WR's too, so I think they'll probably have 2 big tall WR's and 1 speed guy on the field for most plays.

#2039003 - 02/25/19 05:29 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
I had it in my mind that coach Miles always had bigger WR's while he was coaching at LSU, but that's purely my impression based on watching them from time to time over the years. So, I looked up their starting WR's in their National Championship year and their 3 starting WR's were 6'0" 176lbs., 6'0" 207lbs., and 6'3" 195lbs. I'd say 2 of those guys qualify as bigger WR's, though only 1 was a tall WR.

Seems coach Miles and his offensive staff believe having both bigger and taller WR's in this conference is going to be an advantage. As it looks like we plan on running a largely RPO heavy O, I bet our WR's are gonna be asked to do a lot of blocking in addition to running routes and catching passes. The coaches are still recruiting a few smaller very fast WR's too, so I think they'll probably have 2 big tall WR's and 1 speed guy on the field for most plays.

All things being equal, wouldn't it be nice to have some 6'3" corners too?

#2039009 - 02/25/19 07:44 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
The height of these wide-outs may be incidental to their other virtues, for all we know.

But yes. I will take tall guys over some loser 5' 10" dude any day, all things being equal otherwise.

#2039053 - 02/27/19 11:52 AM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
Topcitykid10 Offline
John Brown

Hopefully we have a guy in the system or find a QB who can get the ball to the tall WR's.

#2039057 - 02/27/19 01:50 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: Topcitykid10]
PbBut Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: 66227
Originally Posted By: Topcitykid10
Hopefully we have a guy in the system or find a QB who can get the ball to the tall WR's.

Truth! Funny how Reesing could hit Skip Sharp and Marcus Henry in stride.

#2039066 - 02/27/19 10:42 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: beenahawk]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
All things being equal, wouldn't it be nice to have some 6'3" corners too?
I can't recall the last 6'3" corner we had. Maybe Pbslow can help me out here again?

Talib and McDougald were the tallest DB's I can recall from the last several years and both were 6'1" and I'd take either one starting for us next year at CB and S!

#2039067 - 02/27/19 10:54 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I like what I have seen from Trevor Kardell. Why doesn’t he have any stars? He is big, fast and has good hands. Maybe not the greatest routes, but to me he checks a lot of boxes.

#2039080 - 02/28/19 06:03 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
Wilt Chamberlain

Cause all of the recruiting sites thought he was strictly a baseball recruit. He'll probably get his first rating come this May or June if they do what they've done in the past with previously unrated guys.

#2039088 - 02/28/19 10:36 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Well I’ll be interested in what they say. I like what I see. Will he be a wide out or a tight end?

#2039089 - 03/01/19 01:18 AM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
Wilt Chamberlain

TE all the way in the eyes of the coaches.

#2039097 - 03/01/19 03:44 PM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: Kman_blue]
PbBut Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: 66227
Calvin Rubles

#2039104 - 03/02/19 09:03 AM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Overall I like the direction the offense is going. It seems to take advantage of what KU has vs what it does not. KU has good running backs. MacVittie, while I am still skeptical on, is by all accounts big and mobile. I think the big wideouts make separation less an imperative, same thing with accuracy. You can kind of throw up jump balls for them. I know that is an oversimplification of things, and the O line needs to continue to improve. I just think this is a better direction than what KU had been trying to do.

#2039109 - 03/02/19 10:52 AM Re: Big Wide Receivers [Re: moose1]
Maximus Online   confused
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Originally Posted By: moose1
Miles is loading up on big wide outs. Did he do this at LSU or is this new? Do you think it may signal how they will want to play? Maybe throw up more jump balls and just have our guys come down with it.

All About Downfield Blocking in Football.
Pooka Williams and Wide Receivers making a play on their initiatal defender then getting downfield blocking.

Preview