Page 33 of 34 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2038576 - 02/11/19 06:39 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Kansas
Another QB on board.
“Mill Valley QB Jordan Preston headed to KU as a PWO. Played at Free State in Lawrence before finishing senior season at Mill Valley. Threw for 1,867 yards as a senior”

#2038596 - 02/11/19 11:10 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

He's Asheiki Preston's son.

#2038597 - 02/11/19 11:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Luke Hosford , a LS out of Woodridge HS in Cuyahoga Falls, OH apparently let the world know today that he's coming to KU as a PWO. He's rated the #15 LS in the country by Chris Rubio (runs Rubio long snapping). A solid get at an important position not many think about until you have problems with it.

I think he told the coaches about it last week as he was 1 of the LS I thought I knew KU was getting.

#2038612 - 02/12/19 09:05 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

While not a player but a new recruit on the staff, coach Miles just hired another staff member.

Drew Hixson was just hired as Director of Scouting. He graduated from Georgia back in 2017 where he worked 2 years in their recruiting department. He spent last year working in the recruiting department at UVA.

Coach Miles also moved Dirk Wedd from an analyst position to Director of High School Relations. Beaty originally hired Wedd as a defensive analyst last year.

#2038630 - 02/12/19 01:13 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

KU official release on the new hire and promotion of Dirk Wedd.

#2038631 - 02/12/19 01:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

With all these PWO, we won't have a big class next year again.

#2038633 - 02/12/19 01:51 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: vmlb
With all these PWO, we won't have a big class next year again.
Has zero affect on the number of scholarships we can offer next year.

#2038646 - 02/12/19 10:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Didn't know that. What is the difference between a PWO and a walk on?

#2038656 - 02/13/19 06:05 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

A PWO is a walk-on who's actively recruited. They aren't guaranteed a scholarship or given one though.

A school can tell a PWO whatever they want while recruiting them, including telling them they're going to give them a scholarship at some later date but that doesn't guarantee anything. Of course if a school promises an eventual scholarship to a PWO and then doesn't follow through, word of that is going to get around and that'll hurt that school's future recruiting.

Also with the new rules passed by the NCAA in regards to giving scholarships to walk-ons a school can now give a walk-on a scholarship without taking an initial counter (the annual 25 limit for those not sure what this means) after the walk-on has been in the program only 1 year. Under the previous rules a school had to wait 2 years.

So even if some of the PWO from this class were to be given a scholarship next year it would not take away any scholarships from the 2020 class.

#2038688 - 02/14/19 12:09 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks. Basically no difference between the two.

#2038692 - 02/14/19 08:38 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Guess I left out a couple school specific differences. KU, at least over the past several years (since before Beaty), gives PWO access to virtually everything scholarship guys get access to. At KU they've been given a seat at the training table and access to full academic support, including tutors for example, that regular walk-ons don't usually get. A lot of schools don't do that and treat them the same as regular walk-ons where they don't get a lot of the things scholarship guys do.

Don't know if coach Miles is going to keep that going or not, but I would think so as KU has the resources to do it (a lot of other schools don't0 and has been doing it for years already.

#2038702 - 02/14/19 06:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

A walk on suits up for the game, a PWO doesn't, but the PWO eats with the team while the walk on does not?

#2038703 - 02/14/19 08:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

No, both can suit up for games in fact virtually all do for home games. A PWO can play right away, but he's not on scholarship so he has zero affect on the number of initial counters we can offer that recruiting class or on the 85 limit. Not sure why you'd think PWO's don't suit up or even potentially play immediately. They aren't required to sit out or redshirt their 1st year.

Many PWO will end up traveling with the team to away games too, while most regular walk-ons don't due to both NCAA rules(they limit how many players can travel) and costs.

If you're trying to get at a PWO being given a scholarship after a year in the program and that taking away from future scholarship guys then yeah that could eventually happen if we're less than 25 scholarships away from the 85 man limit at the end of a season (i.e. after the Seniors that year are gone). Given KU's numbers still (we'll still be below 60 scholarship players after this season), it won't affect the 2020 class at all.

Even if that's not what you were getting at the circumstances remain the same. PWO's this year will have zero affect on the size of the 2020 recruiting class.

#2038707 - 02/15/19 05:17 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: vmlb
Thanks. Basically no difference between the two.
They end up wasting the staff and resources limited boundaries for a program. A drain for a football team on scholarship level.

#2038710 - 02/15/19 10:13 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You better get on the horn and tell coach Miles he doesn't know what the F he's doing wasting his time and resources.

Get on it! I expect a full report posted on here about how it went.

Page 33 of 34 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 >

Preview