Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2038574 - 02/11/19 05:20 PM MacVittie
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
What is everyone's thoughts on MacVittie? It looks like he will be the starter, but the 53% completion percentage at a JUCO does not make me feel that great about him. Has anyone seen tape of him? I think the QB position really needs to be upgraded next year, either by Staley or Kendrick taking a step up or MacVittie being a pretty good player.

#2038578 - 02/11/19 07:39 PM Re: MacVittie [Re: moose1]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

The video I watched for MacVittie showed me that he's fast for as big as he is. The passing highlights were OK but they did not stand out like his running highlights. His passing stats in juco are not that great so I am in a wait and see mode.

I am glad that Miles understands that KU needs a mobile QB. Weis never understood that and Beaty did not seem to understand it very well either. Someone said that the QB controversy had a lot to do with the friction between Meacham and Beaty because Meacham wanted a mobile QB and Beaty wanted Bender.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/11/19 08:15 PM)

#2038580 - 02/11/19 08:19 PM Re: MacVittie [Re: moose1]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I seem to remember KMan said he watched film on MacVittie, as did I, and it seems KMan was really sold on him while I came away from what I saw with concerns.
For one thing the film was edited as a player highlight collection, so you assume what you saw was the best of his best.
What I saw was a lot of plays where he threw into tight and/or double coverage but had some skilled receivers who out fought the defenders to make the catch and make the QB look good. Will we have that advantage? Then you see the stats of 16 TDs to 8 picks and it really makes me wonder how that will translate moving up from JUCO to D1 level defenders. It usually doesn't. But Coach Miles has had his eyes on this kid for a long time, so we'll see how it works out.

#2038595 - 02/11/19 10:52 PM Re: MacVittie [Re: moose1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I have yet to see a time where Kman was not sold on a KU recruit.

#2038598 - 02/11/19 11:24 PM Re: MacVittie [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: vmlb
I'm not completely sold on EVERY KU recruit, but if they're sold on KU then I'm sold on them to a point just for that! laugh

#2038599 - 02/11/19 11:30 PM Re: MacVittie [Re: appyhawk]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I seem to remember KMan said he watched film on MacVittie, as did I, and it seems KMan was really sold on him while I came away from what I saw with concerns.
I don't seem to remember this. Only thing I recall saying about him is that out of him and all of the other QB's on the roster that we should be OK for the upcoming season. And that coach Miles is really sold on him as he's been recruiting him since he was a Sophomore in HS and coach Miles was still at LSU.

We'll see how good he looks come the spring game as coach Miles is already talking as if MacVittie is the starter.

#2038601 - 02/12/19 06:36 AM Re: MacVittie [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO

Your best post here ever. Let's not talk about the team recruiting rankings vs win-loss record over the recent years...

#2038602 - 02/12/19 06:39 AM Re: MacVittie [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

There's a game in the Spring? Is this something new in the NCAA rules this year?

#2038603 - 02/12/19 06:42 AM Re: MacVittie [Re: appyhawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: appyhawk
For one thing the film was edited as a player highlight collection, so you assume what you saw was the best of his best.
What I saw was a lot of plays where he threw into tight and/or double coverage but had some skilled receivers who out fought the defenders to make the catch and make the QB look good. Will we have that advantage? Then you see the stats of 16 TDs to 8 picks and it really makes me wonder how that will translate moving up from JUCO to D1 level defenders. It usually doesn't. But Coach Miles has had his eyes on this kid for a long time, so we'll see how it works out.

I was impressed by his highlight films. He is big elusive and fast. He showed the ability to throw accurately while running to the left as well as the right. He consistently moved to escape pressure and showed a strong arm.
As you said, they don't show the misses on a highlight film. So much of accuracy is dependent on the offense....what are his options. Does he always go with his first read or can he see the field and go to his second or third read. There is much to learn yet. Does he know the offense, does he spend the time necessary in the film room. Only time will tell but at minimum he has all the physical tools to be a high level QB......but at this point in time that's about all we can say. It's up to the coaching staff to coach him up so he makes good decisions and has good options.

#2038609 - 02/12/19 08:44 AM Re: MacVittie [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

Your best post here ever. Let's not talk about the team recruiting rankings vs win-loss record over the recent years...
Strange take, especially considering the source here.

#2038624 - 02/12/19 12:52 PM Re: MacVittie [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

Strange take, especially considering the 24/7 source here.
FYP

#2038629 - 02/12/19 01:10 PM Re: MacVittie [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

Strange take, especially considering the source here.
FYP
No, you missed my point. The source of this strange take is YOU!

Wonder if you can figure out why I think it's strange and NO it has nothing to do with 24/7.

#2038663 - 02/13/19 10:39 AM Re: MacVittie [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Kman - I knew what YOU meant. I took it a different route as it was a trip down memory lane. The idea that a Beaty top ten team ranking early in the recruiting season meant ANYTHING significant was always a humorous takedown for me as a reader/poster. A moot point these days...

#2038666 - 02/13/19 11:55 AM Re: MacVittie [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

I still don't think you understand my real point, but whatever.

I'll never apologize or feel ashamed for getting excited to have KU listed in the top 10 nationally in football recruiting, even if it's only for a few weeks or months or even a few days. It just hasn't happened at all during the recruiting website era.

I'm hopeful it happens again under coach Miles and hopefully this time it's at the end of the recruiting cycle and not just the beginning!

#2038686 - 02/13/19 09:32 PM Re: MacVittie [Re: moose1]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I bet Hull and Bowen have filled in Miles on the problems they had with getting verbal commits too early and losing a lot of them. That is probably why Miles had so many recruits visit on the last weekend before signing day. That way if they decided to commit then it is more likely they would follow through and sign.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/13/19 09:33 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview