Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2038457 - 02/09/19 08:41 AM Great recruiting class but...
jhawkclassof02 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Newton, KS
No OL. When last year we couldn't field a team for a spring game because we had so few (healthy) OL. I love Miles so far, and this is a great class especially given the circumstances, but the lack of ANY OL guys worries me.

#2038458 - 02/09/19 08:53 AM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: jhawkclassof02
No OL. When last year we couldn't field a team for a spring game because we had so few (healthy) OL. I love Miles so far, and this is a great class especially given the circumstances, but the lack of ANY OL guys worries me.

No idea how good they are but there are a bunch of offensive linemen listed on the 2019 roster. 19 to be exact....of which 14 are underclassmen.. that’s almost 4 deep at every position .. not counting tight ends. For comparative purposes KSU lists 17 offensive lineman on their 2019 roster....12 underclassmen.

Edited by track (02/09/19 09:10 AM)

#2038484 - 02/09/19 01:30 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: track]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

The concern is how thin we are going to be at DT. Probably have to play that true freshman DT that has only played 1 year of HS football. We do not have a lot of size at DT either. The true freshman is the only DT over 300 lbs.

#2038507 - 02/10/19 12:41 AM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
No buts. KU has 19 offensive linemen on the roster. They need to be able to develop a two deep out of that. It is not like KU can start from scratch. There are not enough scholarships in a year to get that done.

I am not sure what the real story was on the spring game last year. I am guessing the staff saw limited value in it and did not want to take the chance of a kid getting hurt. Maybe Beaty knew the product was not going to be good so he bagged the spring game. I am guessing most coaches think the spring game is a pain in the ass, and would rather not do it if they could get away with it.

#2038509 - 02/10/19 08:35 AM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Beaty may not have wanted to run a game type format for last year's spring game, but we also didn't have enough healthy OL to run 2 squads at the time either. We had several guys recovering from surgery and/or injured. We also lost another starting OL to medical retirement, combined with several of the new recruit OL's not being there yet stripped us down to a skeleton crew on the OL at the time.

If 1 of those things hadn't happened, we'd have had enough OL to run 2 squads. Don't know if that would have changed Beaty's mind or not about the format.

I think our OL should be OK this fall. We've got enough quality guys who with some good coaching should be able to perform adequately.

I'm most excited about the OL recruits I think coach Miles and company are capable of pulling in for the 2020 class though. I think there's a real good chance we pull in some OL recruits of the likes KU hasn't seen in a very long time. Mostly HS guys too, but I won't be surprised if they hit a couple JUCO OL as well.

#2038523 - 02/10/19 02:33 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Beaty’s spring game canceled was a huge reason to can his millionaire ass. He could have saved his career as a P5 HC. He will NEVER be one again.

#2038524 - 02/10/19 02:35 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
KU was an enabling entity for David Beaty.

#2038525 - 02/10/19 06:10 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
appyhawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Spring game.
"several of the new recruit OL's not being there yet "
Just my opinion that the spring game is a great coaching opportunity, which is why they should have taken that opportunity to coach up the newbies to help create that much needed depth.

#2038527 - 02/10/19 07:15 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Spring game is PR. A way to create some fan buzz and excitement and interaction. A first look at the new players, however limited it may be, is a way to get the fans back to Memorial. Utilize any and all means of PR to create excitement and fill the stadium back up next fall.

#2038528 - 02/10/19 07:17 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Agree with Appy on the coaching opportunity. Spend as much allowable time as possible with the new players to show them what it's about.

#2038529 - 02/10/19 07:28 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Topeka
Ive been wondering, since Wirtel is no longer available, who will be taking over as the center/ long snapper?

#2038531 - 02/10/19 08:39 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Here is another thing to consider. There are several OL players that count in this recruiting class but people don't notice them because they are blueshirts: Api Mane, Adagio Lopeti and Kevin Feder.

Edited by pizzanbeer (02/10/19 08:41 PM)

#2038532 - 02/10/19 08:56 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
Is Beaty even in Lawrence? Any idea where he will go?

#2038533 - 02/10/19 09:08 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Isnt KUs recruiting class ranked 9nth of the10 B12 teams....why is that so great...jusayin

#2038534 - 02/10/19 09:23 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: Leawood]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: Leawood
Does anyone really care? But I thought he hooked up with the Longhorns in some capacity. Zenger was spotted at the TCU/Iowa State MBB game on Saturday.

#2038536 - 02/10/19 11:04 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: jhawkclassof02]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Beaty went all out in his last year for recruiting OL. If you include walk-ons, grad transfers, regular recruits and blueshirts then Beaty added 11 new OL players onto the roster last season.

#2038537 - 02/11/19 07:10 AM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: AlOerter]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Agree with Appy on the coaching opportunity. Spend as much allowable time as possible with the new players to show them what it's about.
I agree with you on the PR aspect of the spring game and how important that is, but the real coaching in the spring happens in the other 14 spring practices and not so much in the spring game. That's why so many coaches don't like it. I think the better coaches though use it to evaluate how a player may react when the lights are on and the fans are watching, i.e. in a more real game like situation.

Also, most of the new players aren't on campus by the spring game. Some are, yes, but most aren't.

#2038538 - 02/11/19 07:12 AM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: DrGreydog]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: DrGreydog
Ive been wondering, since Wirtel is no longer available, who will be taking over as the center/ long snapper?
We landed at least 1 highly sought after LS as a PWO. I think but can't remember for sure right now that we landed another one as a walk-on also.

#2038539 - 02/11/19 07:16 AM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: Leawood]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Leawood
He's still living in Lawrence right now. Takes his kid to school most days and I think that's largely why he's still in Lawrence because he and his wife don't want to disrupt their kid's school life in the middle of the academic year.

#2038558 - 02/11/19 01:17 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Any idea how many recruits we can sign for the 2020 class?

#2038561 - 02/11/19 01:52 PM Re: Great recruiting class but... [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I believe it'll be about 22.

Only the coaches know for sure, but that's my best guess right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview