Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2038310 - 02/06/19 09:48 AM Bench Vick
jayhawkfan614 Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Central Ohio
Wanting to set all the 'other' stuff going on with the program aside for second and talk about the team on the floor.

Hope springs eternal ... except in the case of Vick who now is senior

I have never been much of a fan of him for a few reasons (just to clear my touch of bias here)

- Not a leader - doesn't tr to be it seems to be about him. I believe he is the root of some of the chemistry problems that come across when watching the team.
- Effort comes and goes.
- Crazy athletic ability that cant be relied on to be at all consistent.
- Cant play defense, does not play defense on his player before his assignment gets the ball, loses his man all the time, like last night - no intensity, came in to the zone that was working and he was lost - not playing his area or the defender in his area - totally lost
- Can be the best offense on the court - for both teams (turnovers, dumb passes)
- I like playing tough and having some swagger but he takes it too far - getting in players faces when he finally does something right, hitting the ball out of opposing players hands when play is dead, trying to be the man - when he isn't. Looks like at times he is just out there with a blank stare, other times he is over the top - PROVE IT IN YOUR PLAY !

Just watch him....where he goes on the court, his interaction with teammates, other coaches (example - Huggins last year in the end of game line - really??? )

I think he is a head case on the court, a shame because he has the tools.... just seems like there is really something up there.

Play the guys that bring leadership and can use the time on the court.
K.J. , Ochai, Garret (when available), Grimes (is all over the place, foul prone, inconsistent - play through it this year for future years - Freshman), McCormick

I am probably going to get flamed by folks here - but enough is enough. Bill, if he doesn't hit his first 2 shots of any half, and throws stupid passes and turns the ball over - yank him and move on to the others. He becomes the best offense for the other team with turnovers, bone head shot attempts and lack of defense.

We are all fans, just my opinion.... hope we weather some of the storm that will be the remainder of the year and things being handed down by the NCAA. Not only that but recruiting is going to be tough as well ( Cpt. Obvious).

Love the Hawks ! RCJH

#2038327 - 02/06/19 10:56 AM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
So who was it that put Vick back in during the second half. It was Self...and that was after the zone with Lightfoot playing decent defense got a first half lead. Its Bill that needs to shoulder the blame. Not putting McCormack in at all to lean on Wade was also a mistake. Bill has always made in game mistakes however slight over the years. But this season the mistakes are glaring and numerous.

#2038363 - 02/06/19 07:12 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Like I said earlier Vick would be coming off the bench at most programs. He is only a role player getting starter's minutes.

#2038368 - 02/06/19 09:29 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Vick can shoot 3 for 10 often, but puts up back to back 30 plus point games.

Self coaching issues of going with the hot hand and cold hand.

Hermosas Rubias

#2038375 - 02/06/19 10:22 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
If Vick would be more willing to drive some he could do more. He won't guard on defense, and his man often ends up either wide open for a 3 or dunking.

Good cop and bad cop time. If not Vick then who? Grimes is just as bad on D and reallly is less effective on offense most nights. Garret can't shoot at all and can only drive to his right. Moore hasn't shown me a lot thus far and KJ Lawson is just a role player himself..

#2038390 - 02/07/19 08:38 AM Re: Bench Vick [Re: Jaycat92]
jayhawkfan614 Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: Jaycat92
If Vick would be more willing to drive some he could do more. He won't guard on defense, and his man often ends up either wide open for a 3 or dunking.

Good cop and bad cop time. If not Vick then who? Grimes is just as bad on D and reallly is less effective on offense most nights. Garret can't shoot at all and can only drive to his right. Moore hasn't shown me a lot thus far and KJ Lawson is just a role player himself..

Your point is well taken - on who then? My thoughts-
Grimes - you are correct on all your points with what you get with him- but play him he is a freshman
Garret - you are correct again - but less harm than Vick and can actually guard someone
Moore - correct - I don't understand him at all - play him a bit more and see if things come around for him
KJ Lawson - has seemed solid when he plays - less scoring but less mistakes

This team relies this year on momentum. Vick to me just seems like he either takes over a game or kills momentum with turnovers/bad passes or trying to make "the difficult" play himself. He has had time to get it together and be consistent. Let the others play so they can learn in real game situations and live with the results and the long term payoffs (for even next year).

#2038407 - 02/07/19 07:19 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Vick is a Senior and should know better on what to do with the ball.

#2038408 - 02/07/19 07:37 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

#2038409 - 02/07/19 07:40 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Maybe team chemistry can take a step forward. I've thought for awhile that Vick's mind was on something else. I don't wish him ill but I think he has been a distraction. I hope he can get his life straightened out.

#2038411 - 02/07/19 08:58 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
dnvrhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Ganja State
His mom probably didn’t like him sitting on the bench thinking it would effect his pro chances.

#2038415 - 02/07/19 10:28 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
Original AFH Gangsta

Maybe but we are so short handed is this necessarily good. Garret better get healthy quick..

#2038418 - 02/07/19 10:31 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
Original AFH Gangsta

Perhaps Self biggest guffaw of his over rated career was letting him come back in the first place. Now its total chaos..fugg it ..play Tehan..Moore...Ochai...Lawson and McCormack for the remainder of the season...because this season is kabut...ova...finito...

#2038443 - 02/08/19 04:04 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
tophawk87 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Dallas, TX
Vick has "off-the-court" issues. Sad.... Hope he get's the help he needs and get's his life back together.

#2038449 - 02/08/19 06:59 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
Original AFH Gangsta

Vick will not return to old KU...and I dont even care...

#2038452 - 02/08/19 10:25 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
oldalum Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Word on campus is that Vick suffers from depression. That would explain his ups and downs.

#2038453 - 02/08/19 10:57 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: oldalum]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

Originally Posted By: oldalum
Word on campus is that Vick suffers from depression. That would explain his ups and downs.

That's odd, your mom seems to be pretty happy when she's doing her ups and downs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2038456 - 02/09/19 07:58 AM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Perhaps the speculating on this subject has reached into the "out of bounds" area?

#2038459 - 02/09/19 09:32 AM Re: Bench Vick [Re: KUCO_VOC]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Perhaps the speculating on this subject has reached into the "out of bounds" area?

your best post ever.

#2038499 - 02/09/19 07:25 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Tetonhawk Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Jackson Hole, Wy
Phogusher, I'm so glad I have you on ignore.

#2038505 - 02/09/19 10:20 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
Original AFH Gangsta

Ok....whatever sucka...oh wait u are ignoring me...lol...for what reasons is beyond me.

#2038512 - 02/10/19 09:42 AM Re: Bench Vick [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Ok....whatever sucka...oh wait u are ignoring me...lol...for what reasons is beyond me.
Tetonhawk has you on ignore because....thanks Teton for giving us the WHOLE story dude!

#2038516 - 02/10/19 11:17 AM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
Original AFH Gangsta

Because of what...odd I thought I have conducted myself with excellent behavior and honesty on this forum. Ban me if you feel otherwise. Of course this place would really be a dead zone if you did that...but as they say "whatever".

#2038545 - 02/11/19 09:41 AM Re: Bench Vick [Re: oldalum]
mushhawk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: State, Country
Originally Posted By: oldalum

So is that really the cause of his "leave of absence" or is that just a rumor?? If that was the case you'd think the KU team docs could find the right mix of meds that help.
I figured the official cause would be leaked. Usually teammates talk.
I wondered if his mom had some medical or drug rehab issues or if he did. That "La La Land" mom of his seems to be the source of all his bad ideas and poor decisions.

#2038547 - 02/11/19 09:56 AM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
Original AFH Gangsta

She is goofy. They interviewed her on 610 Sports radio a few weeks ago. She is definetly in La La land. Again I will state Bill made a mistake bringing Vick back in the first place. Not so much that he couldnt contribute...he has but it hurt team chemistry from the get go.

The freshmen thought they would get his minutes...the transfers thought he would get his minutes. And if you noticed in the first half of the Kstate game and all of the OState game we really didnt need him. Oh mush how you been..good I hope.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (02/11/19 09:57 AM)

#2038564 - 02/11/19 02:14 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
jayhawkfan614 Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Well my original thoughts were before the leave of absence went down - I just want to say I hope he works out what ever is going on with him personally. Still would like to see him on the team since KU has invested in him with him coming back - I just think he needs to come from the bench.

Not that Okie State is something to measure by - but it seemed the guys were enjoying each other and chemistry was better - easy to read into that with hindsight - we will see if it is addition from subtraction. If he was struggling in real life that for sure impacts his input into the team.

I wish him luck in what ever comes about - life is bigger than a game - and no matter what he is a Jayhawk for life.

Edited by jayhawkfan614 (02/11/19 02:14 PM)

#2038570 - 02/11/19 04:44 PM Re: Bench Vick [Re: jayhawkfan614]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Best wishes to Vick and his family. Maybe he comes back focused and blazes through the rest of the season hitting 45%+ from 3.
Could be like our situation, we got better once Green transferred.Sometimes the fit doesn’t work and it’s best for all.

I’m confused as to whether this is a paid leave or no? 😂

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview