Page 27 of 34 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 33 34 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2038057 - 01/28/19 06:36 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I believe it's possible for KU to get as many as 4 or 5 more scholarships if the petition is successful. I also agree, all of the names I've heard that KU is on for the final spots look like quality guys and not just body fillers.

#2038058 - 01/28/19 07:47 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Wilt Chamberlain

Just in case I'm not being clear, but I think KU could get as many as 4 to 5 more in addition to the 3 believed to be open right now.

I think the petition in large part is on the grounds of the inordinately high number of unforeseen career ending medical conditions we've had over the past couple years.

#2038061 - 01/28/19 11:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
When is Signing Day? Where does KU currently rank with who we have signed or verbally committed?

#2038066 - 01/29/19 10:34 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Magicman]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: Magicman
DE Steven Parker and Athlete Velton Gardner, both from Dallas, are visiting the weekend of Feb. 1st.

6'1-183 Athlete Kenny Logan from Saint Augustine, FL is visiting on the 1st, as well. He plays wr, rb, and s. Looks like a good athlete!

Others visiting this week: Anthony Booker 3* SDE Cincinnati, OH 6'5-280 on the 31st, Moezies Telfort 3* OLB Fort Lauderdale FL 6'2-215 on the 1st, Glover Cook 3* RB Ocala, FL 6'-180 on the 1st, Paul Matavao-Poialii 3* OG Daly City, CA 6'4-330 on the 1st.

#2038070 - 01/29/19 12:45 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Interesting that we haven't had any defections yet.

#2038071 - 01/29/19 02:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Magicman]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
DE Steven Parker and Athlete Velton Gardner, both from Dallas, are visiting the weekend of Feb. 1st.

6'1-183 Athlete Kenny Logan from Saint Augustine, FL is visiting on the 1st, as well. He plays wr, rb, and s. Looks like a good athlete!

Others visiting this week: Anthony Booker 3* SDE Cincinnati, OH 6'5-280 on the 31st, Moezies Telfort 3* OLB Fort Lauderdale FL 6'2-215 on the 1st, Glover Cook 3* RB Ocala, FL 6'-180 on the 1st, Paul Matavao-Poialii 3* OG Daly City, CA 6'4-330 on the 1st.

Are they all high schoolers?

#2038072 - 01/29/19 02:45 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

All are high school recruits.

#2038111 - 01/30/19 03:33 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Magicman]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Marcus Harris 3* SDE Montgomery, AL 6'3-250 on the 1st.
These are all according to 247 Sports.

#2038120 - 01/30/19 08:55 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Glover Cook

Average speed for college. Will not play RB, but slot WR. Looks legit 6'0 feet tall. College 20in a in muscle could be a good player.

#2038191 - 02/02/19 04:38 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Josh2408 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana
Pittsburg Kansas Allstate LB Jarek Butcher is signing with the Jayhawks as a PWO

#2038209 - 02/03/19 07:27 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Wilt Chamberlain

Recently just picked up 2 PWO commitments from a couple good local guys.

Joe O'Leary, probably the top local (Kansas/KC) kickers picked KU over several other offers last week. He's out of Saint Thomas Aquinas HS in Overland Park, KS. He's a quality K who I think could earn a scholarship at KU.

Dylan Downing a 6'2" 225lbs. LB out of Bishop Miege HS in Mission, KS. He just finished an official visit to ISU on Friday and Saturday and then came over to KU for an official visit today. Apparently he liked what he saw here at KU and chose us over ISU a couple hours ago. Kid is really good and I could see him also earning a scholarship here. Both KU and ISU were recruiting him hard over the last month. I believe his dad and a brother played ball at mu so football runs in his family. I really like this kid as a PWO and am pumped we got him over ISU as they were really pushing hard for him.

Also, heard 14 official visitors were in town this weekend. Think we'll get some more good news on a few more scholarship guys in the next few days. A couple guys I heard are currently committed to another P-5 program right now so everyone was keeping their names down and KU did a good job of hiding who they were. Not sure if we'll be able to flip them or not, but either way we had several more quality recruits besides them in town also.

#2038210 - 02/03/19 07:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: namohcan_99]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: namohcan_99
When is Signing Day? Where does KU currently rank with who we have signed or verbally committed?
February 6 (this Wednesday in case anyone wasn't aware) is national signing day.

KU is ranked very low in the team rankings because of our very limited number of scholarships available and not because of the quality of recruit we've signed or have committed. KU and coach Miles petitioned the NCAA for some more scholarships and nobody has said officially if we've heard back from them or not yet. Rumors appear to imply we'll get a few more, but I don't have a lot of trust in those rumors just yet. If we don't get any additional scholarships I think we'll end up landing 3 or possibly 4 more quality P-5 level guys on Wednesday still. Some good ones were in town this weekend.

#2038213 - 02/03/19 10:24 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

So far I am pleased with the recruits that Miles is pulling in. Taller WRs and DBs, larger DTs and DEs, a faster QB, sprinkle in some local players. Some fans complain about the number of JC players but Miles is trying for more wins next season to improve results when he has 25 scholarships to use in the next recruiting class.

#2038215 - 02/03/19 11:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Josh2408 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana
The big question for me Kman is how man of these kids do you see redshirting this year that will count against next year's scholarship count?

#2038216 - 02/03/19 11:45 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
https://kansas.rivals.com/news/dylan-downing-commits-to-ku

Shawnee Mission (KS) Bishop Miege linebacker Dylan Downing sat in Les Miles office in the Anderson Family Football Complex on Sunday. As he listened to the Kansas Jayhawks new head football coach detail his vision for the program, the Stags standout and newest KU commit couldn’t help but be excited.

“It means a lot,” Downing said of his offer from the national champion head coach. “You look at his history, and the things he’s done with the programs he’s been at. It’s insane. For him to sit down and look you in the eye and tell you that, it means a lot.”

“They need some guys, and he feels like I am a very capable person for jumping in quick and playing,” he continued about Miles. “He was just a real personable guy that you could talk to any time of the day. It felt good talking to him.”

After narrowing his recruitment to Kansas and Iowa State, Downing visited Ames on Thursday. He and his family were in Lawrence three days later. He pointed to the coaching staff as the biggest factor in his choosing KU, but the opportunity to contribute early also played a role.

“It was the coaches, really,” he said of his decision. “Every single one of them seemed really interested. And it’s not just the depth at linebacker, but on special teams, too. They need some guys.”

Downing capped off his high school career with his fourth state championship ring in November. As a senior, he racked up 131 total tackles, including 90 solo stops, 3 sacks, and 5 interceptions. He was the recipient of the Bobby Bell Award, honoring the Most Outstanding Small-Class Lineman/Linebacker in Kansas City, was named to the Kansas Top 11 team, and was a Kansas Class 4A All-State selection at both LB and punter.

“They just lost all three of their starting linebackers,” the Stags standout said of the KU defense. “I talked to the inside coach, Coach Ekeler, and he said ‘You can come in quick and earn a spot.’ He’s also the special teams coordinator, and he likes the fact that I punt. He said that I could come in and get that, too. He said ‘It’s open, but you’ve got to work for it.’”

The in-state product talked about how Miles and his assistants plan to focus on local recruiting. He was struck by how they believe the talent in Kansas and Kansas City can play a critical role in turning the program around.

“They said there is definitely a bunch of talent here in Kansas City,” Downing said of the KU staff. “You just have to go find it. The names they brought up are all Kansas City kids, so its obvious they are already focusing on it.”

“Everybody is just excited. They are excited to get things back to where they were in the early 2000s. With that staff, I feel they are going to get some really good kids and return it to that status pretty quick.”

Downing’s upbringing in a Missouri family is well-documented. His father, Ken, was an All-Big 8 defensive back for the Tigers before playing professionally in the NFL and Canada. His brother, Dawson, is currently a running back at Mizzou. Despite being raised in Black and Gold, he never hesitated about choosing KU.

“It’s weird, but my parents have told me from the very beginning that they are going to back me up, wherever I go. Yeah, they might not like the Jayhawk on their shirt, but the colors will stay the same from high school. It should be an easier transition than they think.”

Page 27 of 34 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 33 34 >

Preview