Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2036387 - 12/03/18 08:19 AM Bill Snyder
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
While I realize that many posters on this board have no love for Bill Snyder, I for one, would like to give the man a BIG tip of the Jayhawk hat for the unbelievable job he did over the past 30 years at K-State. Many current Cat fans are likely rejoicing at the news of Snyder's retirement (2.0) and likely that group includes the Johnny Come Latelies who have only known the success that Snyder provided. Snyder took a totally wrecked program and turned it into something that all Kansans could be proud of, and he did it the right way within the rules prescribed by the NCAA.

I honestly hope Snyder can enjoy retirement and maintain his health for as long as is humanly possible. I know there is no QUIT in the man that has been more than a worthy adversary since taking the helm in Manhattan. There has been no finer coach of college football.

#2036389 - 12/03/18 10:03 AM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Ranks up there with Tom Osborne when you think about it.

#2036390 - 12/03/18 10:24 AM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

Osborne was given the keys to a bright and shiny National Champ when he took over the Husker program in 73. Snyder was given the keys to a team that was winless for the better part of three seasons with bare minimum facilities. KSU Stadium back then only had one set of permanent restrooms at the south end....geesh, it was porta pottie U! Bad enough for the fans, but the locker room facilities were bare bones as well. Snyder, by himself, not only upgraded football, but K-State as a school and Manhattan as a city.

So I see it as Bill Snyder > Tom Osborne.

#2036395 - 12/03/18 12:46 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
moose1 Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
I can't freakin stand Snyder. That said I respect the hell out of him. What he did was unreal. He deserves all the accolades he gets. I'm glad to see him retire though. I was time. Why tarmish a great legacy by hanging in too long.

#2036397 - 12/03/18 01:47 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

Osborne was given the keys to a bright and shiny National Champ when he took over the Husker program in 73. Snyder was given the keys to a team that was winless for the better part of three seasons with bare minimum facilities. KSU Stadium back then only had one set of permanent restrooms at the south end....geesh, it was porta pottie U! Bad enough for the fans, but the locker room facilities were bare bones as well. Snyder, by himself, not only upgraded football, but K-State as a school and Manhattan as a city.

So I see it as Bill Snyder > Tom Osborne.
On the back end of Osborne era, the next coaches there found out just how hard it was to maintain the bright shiny program (Prince?). Snyder is definitely a better overall program improving example for making a turd look like a pretty, shiny thing.

#2036398 - 12/03/18 01:48 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: moose1
I can't freakin stand Snyder. That said I respect the hell out of him. What he did was unreal. He deserves all the accolades he gets. I'm glad to see him retire though. I was time. Why tarmish a great legacy by hanging in too long.
Thinking Joe Paterno...

#2036400 - 12/03/18 02:49 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: KUCO_VOC]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
it's a bittersweet moment for me. i can't speak for other k-state fans.

bill left the program in good order. the cupboard is far from bare. and thus, whoever replaces him will find enough talent to quickly return to the bowling ally. plus, there wasn't a messy departure. it was handled well by both him and a.d. gene taylor.

snyder's immense contributions include as much as a billion dollars to the local economy. i once did that calculation. the nbaf would not have come to kansas if state was not a top 150, power five university. and manhattan thrived since the mid-90's. much of that, depending on ones assumptions, can be credited to bill snyder's stay here.

https://youtu.be/nrg0mhzszTI

#2036408 - 12/03/18 05:57 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: tmcats]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: tmcats

bill left the program in good order. the cupboard is far from bare. and thus, whoever replaces him will find enough talent to quickly return to the bowling ally. plus, there wasn't a messy departure. it was handled well by both him and a.d. gene taylor.

snyder's immense contributions include as much as a billion dollars to the local economy. i once did that calculation. the nbaf would not have come to kansas if state was not a top 150, power five university. and manhattan thrived since the mid-90's. much of that, depending on ones assumptions, can be credited to bill snyder's stay here.

So who is your choice to succeed?

#2036414 - 12/03/18 06:28 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: 58hawk]
Josh2408 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: 58hawk

So who is your choice to succeed?

Watch Seth Littrell be the Next KSU head Coach

#2036415 - 12/03/18 06:30 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You mean the guy we should have hired.

#2036417 - 12/03/18 07:35 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

That’s right we are trying to be just better than KSU. Get Littrell from north fricking Texas. You are insane 58

#2036421 - 12/03/18 09:23 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: 58hawk]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin

I would have been good with Littrell. Fo sho. But if he wasn't interested, he wasn't interested.

Miles will be able to jumpstart a turnaround. Plenty good enough for now.

I think Long/Miles was a package deal anyway, more or less. Fine with me.

#2036425 - 12/03/18 10:17 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

That’s right we are trying to be just better than KSU. Get Littrell from north fricking Texas. You are insane 58
I'll take that as a compliment...

#2036428 - 12/03/18 11:12 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
Topcitykid10 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Kansas
Ehh no complement from me! Bye Felicia ✌🏼✌🏼

#2036431 - 12/04/18 07:41 AM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Urban Meyer to KSU per Tim Fitzgerald

#2036439 - 12/04/18 10:42 AM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: KUHawkhead]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

my personal favorite is ndsu's chris klieman. littrell is certainly high on the list. leavitt is the backup; he would certainly be the safest pick, but his age works against the hire.

klieman took over for a legend and continued the run at even higher levels. fargo is more like manhattan than most towns. klieman is a smash mouth/run game coach like snyder. and gene taylor hired him at ndsu, so there's a logical connection.

littrell wants the job. but i worry about ou being his ultimate goal. and why not?

i suspect we'll know within a week, maybe sunday/monday.

#2036451 - 12/04/18 03:24 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

my personal favorite is ndsu's chris klieman. littrell is certainly high on the list. leavitt is the backup; he would certainly be the safest pick, but his age works against the hire.

klieman took over for a legend and continued the run at even higher levels. fargo is more like manhattan than most towns. klieman is a smash mouth/run game coach like snyder. and gene taylor hired him at ndsu, so there's a logical connection.

littrell wants the job. but i worry about ou being his ultimate goal. and why not?

i suspect we'll know within a week, maybe sunday/monday.

The only coach on your list who you don't need to worry about as using the job as a stepping stone is Leavitt, mainly BECAUSE of his age. And since Riley just got the OU job, Littrell won't look at that anytime soon if selected. In any case, Snyder was a Grand Slam Homerun hire back in 89. That isn't going to happen again...no one is going to stay 30 years anymore. Besides, 2048 will mean KSU fans who have absolutely no clue who Bill Snyder was except that someone "way back when" named an OLD stadium after the guy. Truly a shame how soon people forget or are not taught history. Only the most rabid fans will have a clue.............there are OU fans who "kinda know" about Switzer, very few who know of Wilkinson. Same with the Bugeaters who recall Championships with Osborne, but who is this Devaney guy people sometimes discuss? Unless you guys screw the pooch like we did on three straight hires and fall into complete disrepair for a decade, Snyder will be forgotten.

#2036454 - 12/04/18 04:13 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

nah, hard to forget a guy whose name is on the stadium and statue greets you walking in.

#2036455 - 12/04/18 05:03 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

nah, hard to forget a guy whose name is on the stadium and statue greets you walking in.

You are assuming you will have the same stadium in 30 years....... which will make the place 81 then and 60 years removed from Snyder's initial hiring. of the 50k on a game day crowd, only the name will mean anything to 40k, 5k will remember him walking the sideline and 5k won't care at all, provided the place isn't used for women's soccer only by then.

Go ask anyone under the age of 60 how good at QB were Lynn Dickey or Steve Grogan?
Me bets you get blank stares from 9 out of 10.

#2036456 - 12/04/18 05:17 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Ben Savallo
@bmsNTDaily
Inside sources say Seth Littrell is on his way to KState.

3:33 PM - Dec 4, 2018

#2036460 - 12/04/18 07:33 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: tmcats]
Kirk Offline

Ben Savallo
@bmsNTDaily

If so, congrats. I will break from the usual contemporary KU fan -- not unusual for me -- to say I hope KSU does well -- not TOO well -- and doesn't slide back into the pre-Snyder ditch. Littrell is a great get (if you got him.)

I might even be slightly jealous.

#2036462 - 12/04/18 07:41 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
Kirk Offline

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

You are assuming you will have the same stadium in 30 years....... which will make the place 81 then and 60 years removed from Snyder's initial hiring. of the 50k on a game day crowd, only the name will mean anything to 40k, 5k will remember him walking the sideline and 5k won't care at all, provided the place isn't used for women's soccer only by then.

Go ask anyone under the age of 60 how good at QB were Lynn Dickey or Steve Grogan?
Me bets you get blank stares from 9 out of 10.

Too true, in my observation. Todd Reesing is ancient history, Nolan is unknown.

Paul Pierce is ancient history, Danny Manning is something grandpa mentioned.

#2036539 - 12/07/18 01:31 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: tmcats]
Kirk Offline

Ben Savallo
@bmsNTDaily

I wonder what those sources are "inside?"

#2036556 - 12/07/18 05:24 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LIttrell just withdrew.

#2036558 - 12/07/18 05:27 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: KUHawkhead]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
LIttrell just withdrew.

If I was picking, I'd go with Sean Snyder. The Cat's won't and will end up regretting it.

#2036560 - 12/07/18 06:25 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm glad Littrell didn't go to Kstate. If he went there and was successful, we'd never hear the end of "KU could have hired him and didn't 'cause our AD sucks".

#2036562 - 12/07/18 06:46 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
DrGreydog Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Topeka
With Littrell out...sounds like Kleiman is the one

#2036569 - 12/07/18 07:45 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: AlOerter]
Kirk Offline

Originally Posted By: AlOerter
I'm glad Littrell didn't go to Kstate. If he went there and was successful, we'd never hear the end of "KU could have hired him and didn't 'cause our AD sucks".

Agreed. I'm also glad we won't have to recruit against Littrell especially for in-state players.

This also kinda proves that Littrell is holding out to leapfrog the lower Big XII teams for his next gig. It had been said that he'd jump for any school in this conference, but that's not so.

I also think Miles will put together a better staff than Littrell might. Glad we've got him. I'm digging this SEC vibe.

#2036571 - 12/07/18 08:08 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
LIttrell just withdrew.
Errr...but it's PATTERSON!!!...I mean it's LITRELL!!!

Wow, how many times can those kitties get way out over their skis here on how good (or bad) of a job their HC opening really is.

Prince 2.0 come on down! grin

#2036695 - 12/10/18 11:19 AM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
LIttrell just withdrew.
Errr...but it's PATTERSON!!!...I mean it's LITRELL!!!

Wow, how many times can those kitties get way out over their skis here on how good (or bad) of a job their HC opening really is.

Prince 2.0 come on down! grin

the source above is a north texas student website, not k-state.

and in case you missed it, ronaldo prince got the head gig at howard university, which should suit him and his abilities quite well.

#2037234 - 12/28/18 11:47 AM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: tmcats]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

MANHATTAN
Chris Klieman has announced all but one of his Kansas State football coaching staff members after the hiring of a former Mizzou player and NFL assistant coach and two others on Friday.

Kleiman hired Ted Monachino as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, Brian Anderson as running backs coach and Van Malone as cornerbacks coach.

Monachino comes to Kansas State after spending the past season as a senior defensive analyst at Missouri, his alma mater. He previously was the defensive coordinator for the Indianapolis Colts and the linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 2010-15. In Baltimore, he was on the staff that won Super Bowl XLVII and coached NFL legend Ray Lewis.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article223665560.html

#2037368 - 01/04/19 04:51 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Shades of Terry Allen in that entire staff.

RCJHKU!

#2037431 - 01/06/19 03:42 PM Re: Bill Snyder [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

KSU is in rapid decline much like a 75 year old does upon retiring. Just saying

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview