Page 9 of 34 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33 34 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2032414 - 07/22/18 12:07 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
EstebanBugatti Online   content
Big Dipper

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: schmuck34
Kman, Dgless, any news or are we just done with this thread?
It's a dead period right now.

Starting next Wednesday they have a 1 week quiet period where they can have official visitors and make contact (not in person, except on campus) with recruits. All of August is another dead period before the evaluation/quiet period begins again in September through November followed by a contact period leading up to the early signing day.

As pizzanbeer alluded to a lot of recruits are in wait and see mode with KU right now both because of how last year went and also because of the uncertainty of coach Beaty's tenure here. Several have expressed interest in KU or listed us in their top 5 or 4, but I think a lot are waiting to see how our season begins, I think a lot will depend on how our non-con schedule goes, If it goes like it did last year, we probably won't get very many commitments. On the other hand, if we go 3-0 I think we'll get a good number. All depends on how well we do or don't do.

From what I've heard, several recruits who've visited KU liked what they saw and are leaning towards committing, but they also know the situation here too and that's making them understandably hesitant. Not many recruits will commit if they think the HC is likely to not be here anymore when they show up on campus next year. There;s only a few Ben Heeney or Clay Cundiff type of recruits out there who'll commit because they love KU that much.

Despite what angry esteban thinks, the coaches are still out recruiting hard when they can (i.e. not during a dead period)..Juice and coach Hull in particular have been very active.

Someone's feelings are still hurt. Sorry your boyfriend is about to lose his job. You knew this day was coming and so did all of the recruits the staff is talking to. No one will commit to the lamest of lame ducks.

#2032415 - 07/22/18 08:37 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
kman has a sense of a tsunami coming. There's a chance of a tsunami in Kansas...with the climate change. Kansas City may be the shoreline soon.

#2032419 - 07/22/18 03:14 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: EstebanBugatti]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti
Someone's feelings are still hurt. Sorry your boyfriend is about to lose his job. You knew this day was coming and so did all of the recruits the staff is talking to. No one will commit to the lamest of lame ducks.
LOL Don't flatter yourself there internet tough guy or should I call you little angry freddy?

And didn't I just lay out how recruits are waiting to see just how much of a potential lame duck Beaty may be?

#2032420 - 07/22/18 03:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
kman has a sense of a tsunami coming. There's a chance of a tsunami in Kansas...with the climate change. Kansas City may be the shoreline soon.
I do?

Let me know when the ocean level is expected to rise 1,000'.

#2032437 - 07/23/18 03:04 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
I do?

Let me know when the ocean level is expected to rise 1,000'.
OK, I may not be onboard with the "changing of the losing culture" Coach David Beaty. He still has a pretty wife so...

#2032473 - 07/24/18 03:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Kman, if Beaty flames out early do you think Long hires an out of work head coach like Miles or Bielema at mid-season to try and salvage this recruiting class?

Or do you think Long waits until the end of the season and hires an employed head coach at a non P5 college and takes the hit with a lower ranking recruiting class?

#2032476 - 07/24/18 05:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

There is a reason a coach is out of work. Wait till season is over to hire a new HC.

#2032481 - 07/24/18 06:13 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Sometimes coaches being out of work is more for political reasons than football reasons. Hire the best available.

#2032485 - 07/24/18 09:38 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: AlOerter]
EstebanBugatti Online   content
Big Dipper

Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Sometimes coaches being out of work is more for political reasons than football reasons. Hire the best available.

Les Miles is the perfect hire.

#2032498 - 07/25/18 12:01 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Southeast Kansas
Has Mike Norvell's name been discussed much? Just watched a replay of the Memphis/UCF game. Obviously Frost is now at Nebraska but the Memphis coach seems like a guy we should consider.

#2032535 - 07/26/18 01:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Kman, if Beaty flames out early do you think Long hires an out of work head coach like Miles or Bielema at mid-season to try and salvage this recruiting class?

Or do you think Long waits until the end of the season and hires an employed head coach at a non P5 college and takes the hit with a lower ranking recruiting class?
I really don't know what Long would have in mind if that is what happens.

I believe he, like all good AD's, has a short list of coaches he'd go after if he needed to hire one, but I don't believe he's made up his mind on anything to do with coach Beaty right now. He most definitely has a list of things he wants to see happen/(ing), but other than that I don't think he's set a hard line on any particular course of action yet.

I still get the feeling that the season would have to go disastrously to get Beaty fired early on or even in the middle of it. I think if things don't go the way Long thinks they should be going he's more likely to wait until right after the last game to do any firing.

#2032539 - 07/26/18 04:41 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas

I still get the feeling that the season would have to go disastrously to get Beaty fired early on or even in the middle of it. I think if things don't go the way Long thinks they should be going he's more likely to wait until right after the last game to do any firing.

What do you, or anyone else consider to be a disastrous season? Be honest, Beaty has 3 THREE freaking wins in 3 years. Is the Jayhawk definition of disaster now simply winless? In year four, Beaty better start winning and winning fast if he wants to coach beyond September. His only other hope is that there are a minimum of 40k fannies in the seats for each and every home game. Frankly, I don't see either situation coming to fruition and DB will be unemployed by the 1st of October.

#2032540 - 07/26/18 04:48 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Like last year disarray when the captains took over the coin toss is the right time to can the beached whale. Embarrassing for the school.

#2032542 - 07/26/18 05:48 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
What do you, or anyone else consider to be a disastrous season? Be honest, Beaty has 3 THREE freaking wins in 3 years. Is the Jayhawk definition of disaster now simply winless? In year four, Beaty better start winning and winning fast if he wants to coach beyond September. His only other hope is that there are a minimum of 40k fannies in the seats for each and every home game. Frankly, I don't see either situation coming to fruition and DB will be unemployed by the 1st of October.
What I consider a disastrous season doesn't really matter to anyone besides myself. What Long considers one is the import opinion.

With that being said, my biggest problem with last year besides the obvious losing which I hate and don't think anyone else enjoys, was the lack of mental discipline shown by the players and general disorganization we showed way too much. Those are by far the most troubling things to me. Let's face it, no coach was going to come in and win with the absolute train wreck and virtually no true scholarship players we had after Weis. We were going to be losing and losing bad under any coach, even Urban Meyer (IMHO he's the best football coach out there and has shown an incredible knack to start winning relatively quickly everywhere he's been, the likes I don't think anyone else in the modern era has done). You can argue we may have won a few more or whatever, but the record up to this point wasn't going to be good. There should though, have been more mental discipline from the team and we should have looked much more organized than we did IMO. That may have translated to more wins, but it would have for sure at least translated to several more competitive games in my opinion.

So, for me a disastrous season would be one where we don't look any more organized or disciplined as a team. To me, that would lead to more losses too, just like it did last year. I think you can directly attribute AT LEAST 2 losses last year(maybe as many as 4) to these problems. If we take care of those problems for the most part I think that'll directly lead to a more competitive team and more W's in the W-L column. My opinion of what a disastrous year is more based on that than the just the W-L record.

Also, while I don't know Long and don't know enough about him yet to get a great read on him nor have I met him as he's still not officially on the job yet, I still get a little bit of a feeling that he's a bit more deliberate about things. That's why right now I don't think he'd fire Beaty early in the season or even in the middle of the season IF he decides he needs to fire him.

#2032552 - 07/26/18 11:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Here is how I think Long will go about it. He will reach out to a few head coaches that are not currently coaching to gauge their interest and get a list of their probable OC, DC and other assistant coaches they would bring with them. Then Long will compare those head coaches and their staff to his short list of coaches that are currently coaching and their current staff. Then Long will weigh out which head coach and staff gives him the best chance to turn around the program the quickest because Long knows he needs to raise $300 million for the new stadium. Then Long will weigh out the likelihood of whether the top candidate will take the job if offered.

If Long believes a head coach that is not working now gives him the best chance for a quick turn around and he believes that coach will take the job then Long will fire Beaty mid-season when Beaty has enough losses or enough big losses to justify it. Then the new coach can start recruiting. If Long thinks that a head coach that is currently coaching gives him the best opportunity to turn around the program the quickest and Long believes that coach will take the job then he will let Beaty coach further into the season and maybe to the end.

Edited by pizzanbeer (07/26/18 11:36 PM)

Page 9 of 34 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33 34 >

Preview