Page 10 of 34 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 33 34 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2032579 - 07/28/18 06:14 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Happy Birthday PbBut Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: 66227
I think you've hit on some of the high points Kman, but the preparation, development, and recruiting have all been deficient in my opinion.

The preparation goes back to game one, year one. The QB fumbles the snap on a play designed to down the ball. You could call that 'bad luck', if there weren't dozens of other 'bad luck' plays to go along with it. How many times have we taken a time-out or a delay of game penalty on the first snap after receiving a kick-off? Even the opening kick-off?

In my mind, development has been questionable, too. We have a lot of guys who will never be athletes in the NFL, but technique, play discipline, responsibility, and effort are available to anyone. One big issue on this is the lack of staff continuity which, in my opinion, goes back to Zenger and his hiring of a coach not ready to be the head man.

And recruiting, we've improved our talent incrementally, but not at the level to compete in this conference. Every year we hear we've got Jimmy Jones at RT and Henry Johnson at LT. I'm guessing they're good kids, but are they Big 12 quality tackles? I'm 66 years old with four years of eligibility left, and I can get a QB killed just as quickly as Jimmy and Henry. We need better talent at all positions, with some depth.

I don't have any idea what Long will do. My guess is that Beaty will last the year unless there are issues off the field. I'd like to think that he would have grown into the job, but the evidence of that can't seen from any seat in the stadium, and I've tried a lot of them.

#2032589 - 07/29/18 09:31 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: PbBut]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: PbBut
I think you've hit on some of the high points Kman, but the preparation, development, and recruiting have all been deficient in my opinion.

The preparation goes back to game one, year one. The QB fumbles the snap on a play designed to down the ball. You could call that 'bad luck', if there weren't dozens of other 'bad luck' plays to go along with it. How many times have we taken a time-out or a delay of game penalty on the first snap after receiving a kick-off? Even the opening kick-off?

In my mind, development has been questionable, too. We have a lot of guys who will never be athletes in the NFL, but technique, play discipline, responsibility, and effort are available to anyone. One big issue on this is the lack of staff continuity which, in my opinion, goes back to Zenger and his hiring of a coach not ready to be the head man.
I think that's more a day to day coaching problem rather than a development problem. I agree that it's in large part from a lack of consistent coaching, mostly at the position coach level but also at the OC/DC and HC level. We've had a few dud assistant coaches that didn't help either. I think a lot of guys have developed well but are overlooked because of all of the other bigger problems the team has had.

Originally Posted By: PbBut
And recruiting, we've improved our talent incrementally, but not at the level to compete in this conference. Every year we hear we've got Jimmy Jones at RT and Henry Johnson at LT. I'm guessing they're good kids, but are they Big 12 quality tackles? I'm 66 years old with four years of eligibility left, and I can get a QB killed just as quickly as Jimmy and Henry. We need better talent at all positions, with some depth.
I agree and I kinda disagree here. I think recruiting overall has been good and even better than that in some cases. I know you're a big OL and DL guy and yeah, the OL recruiting has been more hit and miss. I also think we didn't have legit Big 12 level talent starting at all spots for years 1 and 2 of the Beaty regime. We definitely didn't have it in the backups for those first 2 years except in the form of some very green underclassmen who didn't have enough talent to overcome their lack of experience. Only a rare few underclassmen anywhere do. Last year was the first year I think we mostly had legit Big 12 level talent starting across the board, but we still didn't have legit Big 12 talent across the board on the 2nd string. This year, I think we've still mostly got legit Big 12 talent at the starting spots and much more legit Big 12 talent at the 2nd and 3rd string levels too. This is also the first year we've got some good experience within those ranks. That's why this year is make or break for coach Beaty.

The OL though has been its own special situation. Career ending injuries, misses by the coaches in recruiting, changing philosophies on the type of OL we need (very evident this year with Ricker at the helm of the OL) along with some bad OL coaching IMO has all contributed to that mess. This is why I'm so curious as to what Ricker does and how well it works out or not this year.

#2032590 - 07/29/18 12:07 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
The best play was an onsides kickoff to start the game against OU I believe. Nice to see DB give up so early in the game. Can him sooner than later.

#2032591 - 07/29/18 03:46 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

DB has an oral from a 4 star QB finally. So much for that.

#2032592 - 07/29/18 09:14 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: vmlb
DB has an oral from a 4 star QB finally. So much for that.
Remember QB Brock Burglund from Littleton CO? We couldn't wait for the five star athlete to arrive. We are still waiting. So is former HCCW...

Don't believe a 4 star is anxious to get killed behind the weak oline created by DB.

#2032598 - 07/30/18 01:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Etinosa Reuben of Park Hill commits to Clemson. Another KC kid goes to SEC

#2032599 - 07/30/18 02:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Clemson isn't the SEC.

Brock Berglund was a three star.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2032600 - 07/30/18 03:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Clemson isn't the SEC.

Brock Berglund was a three star.
Brock was highly touted and he was a big deal here in Denver going to Kansas. Yes, a four or fiver depending upon the rating organization. Doesn't change my point being made...

Player profile out of Valor Christian per 247 sports today says 4 Star. A three would change my point but that’s not accurate

#2032604 - 07/30/18 07:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Berglund was possibly the flakiest recruit in the past 40 years period. Not just at KU but anywhere over that time.

Legendre isn't at all flaky. If coach Beaty is our HC and coach Hull is still on staff coming early signing period, Legendre will still probably be KU bound. He's still getting a lot of recruiting pressure that will most likely increase once the season begins, but he hasn't wavered yet despite it all. His recruitment I suspect will go a lot like Pooka's, Jason's, and Harris's did last year. Hopefully he goes the way of Pooka and Harris and not Jason.

#2032605 - 07/30/18 07:34 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Oh, and just because it hasn't been mentioned on here yet, KU got another commit this past Friday from Cole Mueller. He's a 6'1" 192 lbs. Athlete/RB out of Holt HS in Wentzville, MO.

He was the fastest kid at our Friday Night Lights camp, winning all 3 rounds of the 40 they had with times around 4.4. Kid is a very good athlete, almost freakishly good. Think his vertical was around 38". He was definitely one of the top performers at our FNL camp and maybe the best all around performer there. That's out of the roughly 225 potential recruits at the camp.

Another top performer there was 2020 DB recruit, Daran Branch, a 6'1" 170lbs. DB out of Amite HS in Amite, LA. He was the 2nd fastest kid there after Mueller. He looks like he's still growing and has a high ceiling IMO. I really like how he plays and he'd be a big get for the 2020 class if we could land him.

#2032606 - 07/30/18 07:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

At the time, Brock won the eighth straight state championship for Valor. Great potential but weirded out. The RB is definitely a 2 Star. So there it is. Nothing to tie DB to Kansas after he craps out early this year. Which I believe will happen sooner than later. Thank god!

#2032607 - 07/30/18 08:03 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
At the time, Brock won the eighth straight state championship for Valor. Great potential but weirded out. The RB is definitely a 2 Star. So there it is. Nothing to tie DB to Kansas after he craps out early this year. Which I believe will happen sooner than later. Thank god!

I am coming around to your way of thinking on DB, however I know every time we make a coaching change the program takes a backward step so for that reason I hope somehow someway this coaching staff suddenly sees the light or discovers magic in a bottle and can take 4 or 5 steps forward this year.

#2032609 - 07/30/18 11:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
At the time, Brock won the eighth straight state championship for Valor. Great potential but weirded out. The RB is definitely a 2 Star. So there it is.
He's currently a 2 star and perhaps he'll stay there, but he outperformed several 3 star guys and even a couple 4 star guys at the camp. He looked to me to be the fastest kid in a KU camp since Pierson. Kid is physically gifted and Air Force has offered too. Though, technically the offer from Air Force isn't quite the same as 1 from a non-academy school in that they do it differently and have different rules.

#2032610 - 07/30/18 11:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
I am coming around to your way of thinking on DB, however I know every time we make a coaching change the program takes a backward step so for that reason I hope somehow someway this coaching staff suddenly sees the light or discovers magic in a bottle and can take 4 or 5 steps forward this year.
I dunno if coach Beaty is going to take a bunch of steps forward this year or not. I do hope so like you for no other reason than I want to see a winning KU team, but I think the team is poised to take several steps forward nonetheless. There's more depth of talent on the team than in 7 years or more, and more upperclassmen and experienced players than we've had in 4 or 5 years. All that makes it more likely that the team takes some steps forward even if coach Beaty stays exactly the same.

#2032611 - 07/31/18 06:46 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: track
I dunno if coach Beaty is going to take a bunch of steps forward this year or not. I do hope so like you for no other reason than I want to see a winning KU team, but I think the team is poised to take several steps forward nonetheless. There's more depth of talent on the team than in 7 years or more, and more upperclassmen and experienced players than we've had in 4 or 5 years. All that makes it more likely that the team takes some steps forward even if coach Beaty stays exactly the same.

Recruiting and development of players is a major part of being a head coach. If... and that’s a big IF... we take some positive steps forward this year DB gets the credit.

Page 10 of 34 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 33 34 >

Preview