Page 175 of 183 < 1 2 ... 173 174 175 176 177 ... 182 183 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2048789 - 05/30/20 09:21 PM Re: This just in..... [Re: parkhawk3319]
lobster Offline
You feel the pinch?

Loc: DCHawk's basement.
I stopped being a tool for the either side of the political spectrum. Call me whatever you want, I don't care, but I'm one of the most sincere, well intended people you would ever meet. What comes with that is not taking sides and trying to see tings how they are. Very few people have the courage to say what I say, because most of us lie to ourselves about the reality of our world (you included). It's much easier to live in a world of black and white.

#2048790 - 05/30/20 10:33 PM Re: This just in..... [Re: kellyfenton]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

Loc: District of Columbia
Originally Posted By: kellyfenton

Btw, your study doesn’t address the abuse of UNARMED and/or already subdued suspects.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

The trend-line is down.

#2048791 - 05/30/20 10:34 PM Re: This just in..... [Re: parkhawk3319]
appyhawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
"One of main reasons we don’t know how many the police kill in any particular year, is because the police aren’t required to tell us. “So,” Harriott wrote, “we decided to count ourselves.” Results: 1,112 non-suicide-related deaths by police.

The effort was accomplished in partnership with D. Brian Burghart, the founder of Fatal Encounters—whose mission is creating “impartial, comprehensive, and searchable national database of people killed during interactions with law enforcement”—to see how many people police kill each year.
After we sorted through the data, here are some other startling facts about 2019’s officer-involved killings:

*A black person was three-and-a-half times more likely to be killed by cop than a white person.
*A Hispanic person was one-and-a-half times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a white person
*An unarmed black person was three times more likely to be killed by police than a white person with no weapon
*An unarmed black person fleeing the scene was six times more likely than a white person to be killed by a police officer.

#2048792 - 05/31/20 01:16 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: parkhawk3319]
lobster Offline
You feel the pinch?

Wake up and see the media is just playing people to destroy this country so that Trump will not win re-election. It's so liberating to be not part of the left or the right.

#2048793 - 05/31/20 01:25 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: DCHawk1]
lobster Offline
You feel the pinch?

Originally Posted By: DCHawk1
Originally Posted By: kellyfenton

Btw, your study doesn’t address the abuse of UNARMED and/or already subdued suspects.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

The trend-line is down.

You spell out the facts, clear as mud. But will anyone on here admit what is valid? Good luck.

#2048794 - 05/31/20 03:01 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: lobster]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: lobster

Speaking of emotional, lol.

lol indeed.....

Quote:
1. I never said killing to prevent looting is justifiable. Where did you get that crazy idea?

Right there in the words you wrote.

Quote:
Stop seeing what you want to see and read what I actually wrote.

lol? The words are right there.

Quote:
Looting and violence in response to one death by a cop is not justifiable.

And here we begin your long, retarded, slog to somehow prove that racism doesn't exist in America.

Quote:
You're an entitled thug if you believe so.

Ahh yes, call me a thug. Let your racism shine.

Quote:
2. I've met a lot of cops.

And here is where you prove, definitively, that you are not "mixed race" by any stretch.

Quote:
One of them (who was black) lied to me screwed me over when I was very young.

Yes yes let your hatred of the black man out. You racists are so easy to bait.

Quote:
Should I go riot in the streets because one black cop lied to me and caused me harm?

What harm did the big bad black cop cause you? Did your $400 Trek bike get stolen from your suburban driveway and he said he'd get it back for you but he didn't? Poor poor baby.

Quote:
Cops (whether black or white) are just people, and they are flawed. However, most cops are not racists.

Only someone with complete, total, unadulterated white privilege would say something as naive as this.

Quote:
3. I'm not Irish. I'm many things, including Native American.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol*googol

You aren't [censored] but a poser like Elizabeth Warren.

Quote:
Your prejudice showed in your post by assuming I'm Irish.

I'm calling you out as a purebred white liar.

Quote:
4. They are lucky the even have $1200.

Are you serious? The government shuts everything down, depriving people of any ability to make a living and then provides people with a pittance to get through the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression and you think they are LUCKY?? Your white privilege is so thick it's unbelievable.

Quote:
In the past, America was not full of such pussies and we didn't hand out stimulus money.

Yeah, hear hear for extreme poverty, shantytowns, disease, and death!!!! BRING BACK THE ROARING 30s!!!! WAHOOOOOoOO

Oh wait, even then the government provided jobs for the unemployed. You know, the New Deal and all that. Did you even go to school?

Quote:
Not having money does not give you the right to create violence.

Are you seriously this stupid? The "violence" is in response to decades of racist police violence. This isn't about a single guy. This is about decades of police brutality. Floyd is the trigger. The last straw. The looting is secondary. But you knew that.

Quote:
I just embarrassed your post. Want to try again?

You've only embarrassed yourself. You've been outed.

#2048795 - 05/31/20 07:44 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: lobster]
kellyfenton Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: lobster
I stopped being a tool for the either side of the political spectrum. Call me whatever you want, I don't care, but I'm one of the most sincere, well intended people you would ever meet. What comes with that is not taking sides and trying to see tings how they are. Very few people have the courage to say what I say, because most of us lie to ourselves about the reality of our world (you included). It's much easier to live in a world of black and white.

I don’t disagree that it takes courage to be willing to peddle this stuff in a public forum. Not to mention the courage it takes to announce how courageous you are. Although courage and a complete lack of self-awareness and irony can often look the same.

#2048796 - 05/31/20 11:06 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: parkhawk3319]
appyhawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
IIRC the King of England labeled our revolutionary soldiers as criminals. Did that make it wrong for them to revolt?

#2048797 - 06/01/20 09:08 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: parkhawk3319]
Wilt Chamberlain

“God."
"Please."
"Please. Please I can't breathe"
"Please, man."
"Please"
"Please, Please, Please"
"I can't breathe"
"I am about to die"
"I can't breathe, my face."
"Please."
"I can't breathe"
"Please, your knee on my neck"
"I can't breathe"
"I will (get in the car)"
"I will. But I can't move"
"Mama!"
"Mama!"
"I can't"
"knee... my neck"
"I'm through"
"I'm through"
"My stomach hurts. My neck hurts."
"Everything hurts"

"Just some water or something"
"Please"
"Please"
"I can't breathe officer"

"You're going to kill me"

"They're going to kill me"

(whimpers)

"I cannot breathe"
"I cannot breathe"

"They're going to kill me"

(cries)

"Please"

"I can't breathe"

*** he never says another word

The officer stays in position, compressing George's neck for 4 more minutes.

...the crowd:

"Please check his pulse"
"He is not moving"
"Can you call the police on the police?"
"Did they just kill him?"
"He's black. They don't care."

#2048800 - 06/01/20 02:46 PM Re: This just in..... [Re: parkhawk3319]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

Loc: District of Columbia
Somehow, the transcripts are even worse than the video.

Ugh.

#2048808 - 06/02/20 08:26 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: parkhawk3319]
Wilt Chamberlain

Bill Barr just doing his thang: lying to benefit the prez ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...b482_story.html

#2048809 - 06/02/20 10:47 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: kellyfenton]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Bohemia
I go away for a few days to visit my Empire and you people have let my country go to hell while I am gone!

As I drove into town last Friday night I was greeted by an LED road sign, you know the ones that tell you there is a work zone ahead or something innocuous like that. All this one says is; "VIRUS IS HERE". If this is not graphic enough, the backdrop to this sign is an idealic little oasis of a verdant town in the middle of vast desert. Behind that there is a large storm over the Sangre de Cristo Mts and there are rays of dying sunlight coming from behind me that have thrown up a weird double rainbow over the town. All I could do was stare and wonder if I was driving into the apocalypse.

To put the place in perspective it has a population of about 2,000 people in a County of 3,100 sq miles of mountains and high desert. The next largest town is the County seat which has a population of 400. It's the sort of place where you might run into Appy if he came to town for breakfast before he went to the feed store. It's the sort of town where you are talking to a stranger on Worth Street and when you exchange contacts you find out he is the County Coroner.

So I ask the coroner about the outbreak. He tells me that one month ago they had 3 total cases of covid in the County and no deaths. Now they have between 80-110 cases in the County and 1 death. They can't confirm the numbers because the head of the County Health Department resigned last week and so did the head of the neighboring County. The outbreak and the town are split by Highway 112 which is the county line. He says they have no testing capability now so we have no idea what is happening. He think it is getting invisibly very bad.

The town declared an emergency last week enforcing a mask in public ordinance and all hell has broken loose. There are the ranchers/farmers and the wanna be unibombers who live in shipping containers in the outlying area, many of them refuse to wear masks because, it is not "us" who is sick it is "them", so make "them" wear masks. These folks are currently driving 40 miles out of their way to get their groceries and liquor in a town that does not require masks in public. Then there are the townies who work on the potato and lettuce farms and they are 85% hispanic and they are content with the masks and protecting their families and are going quietly about their business in spite of a 2 week work shutdown at all of the potato warehouses. Then there is the third party to this little drama; a group of several hundred migrant workers, mostly from Guatemala, camped on the other side of the highway who are "them". When a town grows from 2,000 to 3,000 for a harvest, it puts a strain on everything.

My little piece of this place which is directly across the street from the La Puente Thrift Store which is also the largest charitable organization in the San Luis Valley. This County is the one of poorest by per capita income in Colorado. A local, working in a hardware store, once described it to me as "poverty with a view". You can see the entire 50 plus mile long stretch of the Sangre de Cristo's from the edge of town and from the party deck on my roof. I have gotten to be friends with the managers of the thrift store, good peoples. They shovel my sidewalks when I am out of town and I shovel their's when I am in when it snows. And I bring them a slab of Bryant's ribs and sweet heat sauce every time I come out.

She is a paraplegic that runs the sidewalks from an off road electric wheelchair. Amazingly the town has a permanent group of 4 panhandlers. When they hit up someone in front of her store she comes flying out of the store yelling, "Hey! Noodles! You can't bother people here, if you don't move along I will call the cops and they will move you along!". Noodles is the leader of the panhandlers union, he is more afraid of Tara than the cops. Then there is her husband who I have nicknamed "Iron Man", he is all of 5'-9" and about 160 pounds. He grew up Mennonite in Iowa. There has never been anything I have tried to give away to the thrift store that he can't push single handed across the rough as a cob main street on a small dolly. The man can probably lift twice his weight. I challenge him sometimes just to see him light up, "I don't know Harley, you sure you can get that across the street?" He gets a smirk on his face and just says, "Oh I can get it there"; then I grab the back end of the 6 foot tall glass display case to make sure the damn thing doesn't roll over and shatter in the middle Worth Street.

So the dynamic duo is responsible for distributing food, personal hygiene packets and clothing to "them" while they are in town as well as the town inhabitants who are now mostly out of work. Due to the outbreak this has to be done from a drive thru location at the police station or they have home delivery for the elderly and those who don't have a car. Right now they can't go to the other side of the highway and "them" aren't allowed on this side. Their mission is a struggle right now.

For the farmers and the County the question is can the lettuce harvest get done before everything rots in the field, they are working through a tough drought. For the townies it's when can businesses open up without masks, and for "them" it is will I get back home alive to my family?

All are giving some, but some are giving all as the saying goes.

But the view is great and a head of lettuce is still cheap.
Culture is a swampland of superstition, ignorance and abuse.

#2048810 - 06/02/20 10:59 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: parkhawk3319]
Wilt Chamberlain

I kept waiting for zombies to enter this story. It just seemed inevitable. Where TF are the zombies?

#2048811 - 06/02/20 11:14 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: kellyfenton]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Sorry; but we do have lots of UFOs and there are the spirit lights on Blanca Peak....oh and one of my buildings is haunted by a previous owner if that makes the narrative more interesting.

When I go in that building to take shower every night I talk to "Joe", we could both us the company in these weird times.

#2048812 - 06/02/20 11:17 AM Re: This just in..... [Re: kellyfenton]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

George F. Will
Columnist
June 1, 2020 at 2:18 p.m. CDT

This unraveling presidency began with the Crybaby-in-Chief banging his spoon on his highchair tray to protest a photograph — a photograph — showing that his inauguration crowd the day before had been smaller than the one four years previous. Since then, this weak person’s idea of a strong person, this chest-pounding advertisement of his own gnawing insecurities, this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron.
Presidents, exploiting modern communications technologies and abetted today by journalists preening as the “resistance” — like members of the French Resistance 1940-1944, minus the bravery — can set the tone of American society, which is regrettably soft wax on which presidents leave their marks. The president’s provocations — his coarsening of public discourse that lowers the threshold for acting out by people as mentally crippled as he — do not excuse the violent few. They must be punished. He must be removed.

Social causation is difficult to demonstrate, particularly between one person’s words and other persons’ deeds. However: The person voters hired in 2016 to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed” stood on July 28, 2017, in front of uniformed police and urged them “please don’t be too nice” when handling suspected offenders. His hope was fulfilled for 8 minutes and 46 seconds on Minneapolis pavement.

What Daniel Patrick Moynihan termed “defining deviancy down” now defines American politics. In 2016, voters were presented an unprecedentedly unpalatable choice: Never had both major parties offered nominees with higher disapproval than approval numbers. Voters chose what they wagered would be the lesser blight. Now, however, they have watched him govern for 40 months and more than 40 percent — slightly less than the percentage that voted for him — approve of his sordid conduct.

Presidents seeking reelection bask in chants of “Four more years!” This year, however, most Americans — perhaps because they are, as the president predicted, weary from all the winning — might flinch: Four more years of this? The taste of ashes, metaphorical and now literal, dampens enthusiasm.

The nation’s downward spiral into acrimony and sporadic anarchy has had many causes much larger than the small man who is the great exacerbator of them. Most of the causes predate his presidency, and most will survive its January terminus. The measures necessary for restoration of national equilibrium are many and will be protracted far beyond his removal. One such measure must be the removal of those in Congress who, unlike the sycophantic mediocrities who cosset him in the White House, will not disappear “magically,” as Eric Trump said the coronavirus would. Voters must dispatch his congressional enablers, especially the senators who still gambol around his ankles with a canine hunger for petting.

In life’s unforgiving arithmetic, we are the sum of our choices. Congressional Republicans have made theirs for more than 1,200 days. We cannot know all the measures necessary to restore the nation’s domestic health and international standing, but we know the first step: Senate Republicans must be routed, as condign punishment for their Vichyite collaboration, leaving the Republican remnant to wonder: Was it sensible to sacrifice dignity, such as it ever was, and to shed principles, if convictions so easily jettisoned could be dignified as principles, for . . . what? Praying people should pray, and all others should hope: May I never crave anything as much as these people crave membership in the world’s most risible deliberative body.

A political party’s primary function is to bestow its imprimatur on candidates, thereby proclaiming: This is who we are. In 2016, the Republican Party gave its principal nomination to a vulgarian and then toiled to elect him. And to stock Congress with invertebrates whose unswerving abjectness has enabled his institutional vandalism, who have voiced no serious objections to his Niagara of lies, and whom T.S. Eliot anticipated:

We are the hollow men . . .

Our dried voices, when

We whisper together

Are quiet and meaningless

As wind in dry grass

or rats’ feet over broken glass . . .

Those who think our unhinged president’s recent mania about a murder two decades ago that never happened represents his moral nadir have missed the lesson of his life: There is no such thing as rock bottom. So, assume that the worst is yet to come. Which implicates national security: Abroad, anti-Americanism sleeps lightly when it sleeps at all, and it is wide-awake as decent people judge our nation’s health by the character of those to whom power is entrusted. Watching, too, are indecent people in Beijing and Moscow.

Damn but that George feller writes purdy.

Page 175 of 183 < 1 2 ... 173 174 175 176 177 ... 182 183 >

Preview