Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035848 - 11/19/18 08:12 AM A KEY Difference
Jayhawk1952 Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Though basketball was my primary draw to following the Jayhawks, this completed my 67th season of following their football program. I understand the high interest and hope in our new hire of Coach Miles. I hope that he is a key to a better future. But there's one KEY that I've not heard much mention made of and that is KU's willingness to spend some major money on the football program. I believe that's been a huge hindrance in seeing our football program move forward and gain the respect and results we'd like to see. Football can be a major money maker for a university, but major money has to be spent to get there. It sounds like KU may now have that willingness. I hope they carry through on it.

#2035849 - 11/19/18 09:01 AM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
It sounded like Long was putting the resources together for a quality staff with additional analysts that KU has not had previously.

I think they also know in the age of conference realignment your football team can't stink. I do not know what is going to happen when the current Big XII contract runs out. Personally I think the conference folds, but who knows. I don't think KU wants to find out what happens if the Big XII is no longer around and they have one of the worst football teams in the country.

#2035855 - 11/19/18 11:06 AM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Austin
Admin finally realized you have to invest in the personnel. Just. Like. In basketball. Hello!

#2035860 - 11/19/18 11:37 AM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
No question college sports are a business, and in business it takes money to make money, so I agree with all the posts above.

Regarding realignment...I agree that may be a prime consideration to recent events here at Kansas. I'm not convinced the Big12 will fold, but I think it could get a serious makeover if certain schools bolt for a better situation, and IMO that is a distinct possibility for Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. The caveat would be attached requirements by states in the form of "if you go you must go in company of..."
We all know Manhattan may not at the top of a lot of major conference's wish list. In any case it behooves KU to right it's football ship.

#2035862 - 11/19/18 01:00 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Kansas is B10 bound along with Notre Dame once alignment happens, OU and OSU to SEC, TEXAS, TTech and/or TCU will head off to PAC12.

#2035863 - 11/19/18 01:32 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: INation]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: INation
Kansas is B10 bound along with Notre Dame once alignment happens, OU and OSU to SEC, TEXAS, TTech and/or TCU will head off to PAC12.

What about poor little Kstate?

#2035864 - 11/19/18 01:46 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Mountain West for ksu.

#2035866 - 11/19/18 01:54 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: track]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track

For me personally I would not mind being in different conferences from KSU. I am guessing that is an unpopular opinion but to me KSU fans are just annoying. I would not miss playing them at all.

Edited by moose1 (11/19/18 04:16 PM)

#2035871 - 11/19/18 04:10 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
Mountain West for ksu.

They should form a conference of second fiddle state schools.
Kstate,Wichita state,Missouri state,Texas state, Iowa state Oklahoma state,Utah state, New Mexico State,Arkansas state and Colorado state

#2035872 - 11/19/18 04:18 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: moose1]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Originally Posted By: moose1
Originally Posted By: track

For me personally I would not mind being in different conferences from KSU. I am guessing that is an unpopular opinion but to me KSU fans are just annoying. I would not miss playing them at all.

I prefer keeping up traditions and rivalries.

#2035876 - 11/19/18 06:04 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I don't consider KSU a rival. For years KU has dominated KSU in basketball and vice versa in football. The nail is not the hammer's rival. I consider ISU more of a rival because there has been back and forth in both sports.

#2035878 - 11/19/18 07:34 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Yeah, I grew up having a sibling rivalry with KSU. Lots of friends who were KState fans, lots of “houses divided”, with married fans of each school, or siblings going to both universities. I like KSU to some degree, and generally root for them until we play each other. Very different from Missouri. But I’m over 50, an oldster.

I think both schools will be relatively competitive in football.

Basketball probably not; we’ve got the one and dones and the money. But I don’t care about bball.

ISU is just the latest news. I’m a traditions guy.

#2035880 - 11/19/18 08:09 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

The State of Kansas would benefit more from having KU and K-State in different conferences. But, the ruralite-plagued legislature is too dumb to understand that.

#2035883 - 11/19/18 08:46 PM Re: A KEY Difference [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I don't harbor the same hatred for KSU that I once did. Nearing fifty (old bastard) has made me realize that our students are truly among the most similar of any two schools in the conference. I had a ton of friends attend KSU, or be stationed at Ft. Riley after graduating from USMA and living in Manhattan, so spent many alcohol induced evenings around Aggieville.

RCJHKU!

Preview