Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035820 - 11/18/18 07:55 PM Anybody else notice during today's Q & A
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
Miles' several long -- very long -- pauses when trying to find the words?

Look at 29:30 for example. That wasn't the only time. I found it disturbing and worrisome perhaps. I hope he's alright. (Did he do this in the past, too?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yjWMiRobIo

#2035821 - 11/18/18 08:00 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Ahhh crap Les has early stage dementia. Thats why he took the job.....lol..I kid you are worrying about nothing...

#2035822 - 11/18/18 08:04 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
Kirk Offline

Actually, I found it pretty weird. Has he done it before?

And, indeed, if he does suffer from dementia -- something I witness firsthand in my family -- this doesn't mean he can't turn around the program.

Curious if he's done this before. I'm talking about uncomfortably long pauses where he's blanking out.

#2035823 - 11/18/18 08:16 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

That’s who he is. Calm/calculating and not one for blowhard speech. I like it. Maybe you’ve forgotten what a Belichick presser sounds/looks like.

#2035824 - 11/18/18 08:26 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: rockchalkjjjhawk]
Kirk Offline

Originally Posted By: rockchalkjjjhawk
That’s who he is. Calm/calculating and not one for blowhard speech. I like it. Maybe you’ve forgotten what a Belichick presser sounds/looks like.

Yeah that's not what I'm seeing here. Can you post another instance of Miles having such uncomfortably long pauses? He's not being challenging; he's unable to find whatever he's going to say -- not briefly, but for a disorienting amount of time. He does it several times during the Q & A.

Please post another example like the one happening at the 29:30 in my OP.

"The.................the.........things."

It would make me feel better about the man, for his sake.

#2035826 - 11/18/18 08:38 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
I found the question/answer session very disappointing. Answering football questions should be easy for an experienced coach. Miles didn't even attempt to provide anything with a hint of substance. Maybe he had a bad case of jet lag?

#2035828 - 11/18/18 09:04 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: appyhawk]
Kirk Offline

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I found the question/answer session very disappointing. Answering football questions should be easy for an experienced coach. Miles didn't even attempt to provide anything with a hint of substance. Maybe he had a bad case of jet lag?

I hope so. Although it would be the worst case of jet lag I've seen, in how far it cripples an expert in discussing his own area of experience -- to your point.

If he were answering questions about Ming dynasty art, okay.

#2035829 - 11/18/18 09:20 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kirk

I hope so. Although it would be the worst case of jet lag I've seen, in how far it cripples an expert in discussing his own area of experience -- to your point.

If he were answering questions about Ming dynasty art, okay.

You are freaking me out with this dementia talk. Last week Siren Petro had one of the college Football analyst on...can't remember the guys name but he always ends the session by saying "roll tide". Anyway he said he hoped for KU sake they didn't hire Miles. Petro asked him why. He said there was a reason he hadn't been offered any jobs....it was the job interviews...he was bad. I hope the guy didn't know what he was talking about but I don't like hearing what you are saying.

#2035830 - 11/18/18 09:33 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: appyhawk]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita

What are you talking about? I found his answers to the football questions direct and satisfactory. What did you want him to do, get into actual Xs and Os. He talked about the style of play is going to be dictated by the talent he has, and not fit a square peg into a round hole. He said that priority number one was getting scholarship players up to 85 as quickly as possible. In that regards he said they needed to recruit quality kids, and not just walkons that you give scholarships to. He talked about recruiting within a 500 mile radius for the most part, going outside that territory for special kids. He talked about JUCOs in the area, but those would be for emergency situations. What the hell did you want him to say? Hell he said more than the last three coaches combined in their opening press conference.

#2035831 - 11/18/18 09:35 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
Kirk Offline

Right, I remember hearing the quote about Miles giving "bad interviews." But it never bothered me. Wasn't LSU in effect paying him to have bad interviews?

But now I'm concerned. Old people (usually much older than 65) with cognitive issues and short term memory loss are the only ones I know with those sickeningly elongated pauses, as if they are slipping through a hole, before finally landing upon, not the right word, but the wrong one, or something vague, like "things."

At the end of the miles-long pause, Miles says, ".....things."

#2035832 - 11/18/18 09:41 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: rockchalkjjjhawk

Yeah that's not what I'm seeing here. Can you post another instance of Miles having such uncomfortably long pauses? He's not being challenging; he's unable to find whatever he's going to say -- not briefly, but for a disorienting amount of time. He does it several times during the Q & A.

Please post another example like the one happening at the 29:30 in my OP.

"The.................the.........things."

It would make me feel better about the man, for his sake.

You are trying to make the point, why don't you point out the issues? I will give you there was one other instance a few minutes before when talking about playing KU when he was OSU. He stumbled on that one. Both times I just think he got caught BSing. He just did not know where to go with it. Everything else was pretty clear, and answered the questions well.

#2035835 - 11/18/18 09:55 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: moose1]
Kirk Offline

Watch today's Q & A, including such moments as 29:30 in the above-posted video. Then ask me if need to "point out the issues."

I hope there's an explanation that's not troublesome. But the man is struggling.

#2035837 - 11/18/18 10:08 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Watch today's Q & A, including such moments as 29:30 in the above-posted video. Then ask me if need to "point out the issues."

I hope there's an explanation that's not troublesome. But the man is struggling.

I did watch the press conference, and even pointed out one other time he was struggling, which is a few minutes before the 29:30 mark Do I think that is indicative of a larger issue? No I do not. The rest of the time he answer things clearly and directly. As clear and direct as a head football coach gets.

#2035839 - 11/18/18 10:15 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: moose1]
Kirk Offline

Originally Posted By: moose1

I did watch the press conference, and even pointed out one other time he was struggling, which is a few minutes before the 29:30 mark Do I think that is indicative of a larger issue? No I do not. The rest of the time he answer things clearly and directly. As clear and direct as a head football coach gets.

Others may use "coach speak" and avoid committing to specifics, but they do so with some degree of verbal agility, without seeming to get lost.

At any rate, I am very much hoping he's alright. Either way, I think he will be a CEO type and drive positive change around the KU football program for the next few years.

#2035841 - 11/18/18 10:49 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
oldalum Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Don't you think something like that would have been picked up by the people conducting the job interviews? They spent a lot of time with him, and didn't just see a TV interview.

#2035842 - 11/18/18 11:30 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: oldalum]
Kirk Offline

Originally Posted By: oldalum
Don't you think something like that would have been picked up by the people conducting the job interviews? They spent a lot of time with him, and didn't just see a TV interview.

I'd hope so.

But these past couple years, Miles was reported to be a "bad interview", as mentioned earlier in the thread. I hope there's nothing to this.

Not that KU would ever crap itself hiring a coach. Or anything.

#2035843 - 11/19/18 12:21 AM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

It looked to me like Les experienced some anxiety answering questions at the press conference which caused him to freeze up on a few questions. However he did a great job answering questions on HawkTalk. I believe the difference was on HawkTalk they started with personal history questions about his family which allowed Les to relax. Then he gave much better answers to all of the questions during that interview. If anyone has not listened to HawkTalk where they interviewed Les then I recommend you give that a listen. There was a lot of good information that Les provided.

#2035844 - 11/19/18 01:35 AM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
Kirk Offline

^ That would fit the basic pattern. Good moments are about what’s nearest to hand and heart like family; bad moments are about abstract ideas and the latest news. Each individual is somewhat unique though.

#2035850 - 11/19/18 10:25 AM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Wtf Kirk ...you trying to be a Debbie Downer about Miles before he coaches one damn game. Unless he runs the towel boy in a clown suit to play quarterback in the first game next season I aint going to worry it.

Did you do the same when you heard Self go " uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh this is uh uh the uh uh greatest place uh uh in all uh uh of college uh uh basketball". So cool your jets until Les does something truly bizarre.

#2035851 - 11/19/18 10:50 AM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: PHOGUSHER]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Thanks gusher, I needed that. Be happy 😃... don’t worry

#2035853 - 11/19/18 10:53 AM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
Kirk Offline

I ain’t worried. I think Les as CEO type coach will turn KU around — as I said above. I’m concerned for the man himself. Because that isn’t normal. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

#2035857 - 11/19/18 11:30 AM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Thanks for the tip pizzabeer. I'll try to look that up.

There's a lot about Miles I don't know. I do know he's got a great record and that he's our guy, so that's what I'm gonna go with and I'll support him with best intent until he proves he doesn't deserve it.
Rock Chock, and go get em Coach Miles!

#2035858 - 11/19/18 11:32 AM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Its ok to be concerned but again until he does something bizarre it will be then I will become concerned. He did state he thought Memorial Stadium was beautiful. Hey maybe I should be worried...lol..because that place is a dump....

Edited by PHOGUSHER (11/19/18 11:33 AM)

#2035861 - 11/19/18 11:54 AM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
Kirk Offline

Ha! But game day on the KU campus is freaking gorgeous. That’s what he meant. When you’re inside the stadium, you’re looking at beautiful trees in fall foliage on the hill, the campanile, and the river valley to the north and it kicks butt.

LSU is a behemoth in a huge parking lot and nothing else. I haven’t been in Stillwater in decades, but I don’t think it was much better. Lawrence can hit a guy the right way.

The literal stadium itself may be a dump, but Zenger was wrong to start there.

#2042313 - 09/08/19 03:31 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Kirk Offline

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Wtf Kirk ...you trying to be a Debbie Downer about Miles before he coaches one damn game. Unless he runs the towel boy in a clown suit to play quarterback in the first game next season I aint going to worry it.

Did you do the same when you heard Self go " uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh this is uh uh the uh uh greatest place uh uh in all uh uh of college uh uh basketball". So cool your jets until Les does something truly bizarre.

You're so right. All is well.

#2042317 - 09/08/19 05:24 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
Jayhawk1952 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

KU football has enough to be concerned about without trying to dig up more things to cause worry. Assume he's fine until we have something concrete to go on.

#2042318 - 09/08/19 05:47 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Jayhawk1952]
JimWest Online   happy
))<>((

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
KU football has enough to be concerned about without trying to dig up more things to cause worry. Assume he's fine until we have something concrete to go on.

The only people that like old people are other old people.

#2042319 - 09/08/19 06:10 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: Kirk]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I kink of took Miles manner to be that he was as bummed out about the loss as we were.

#2042329 - 09/08/19 09:10 PM Re: Anybody else notice during today's Q & A [Re: JimWest]
Kirk Offline

Originally Posted By: JimWest
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952

The only people that like old people are other old people.

I don’t think of 65 as “old.”

Not normally, that is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview