Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035505 - 11/11/18 05:03 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/31/college-football-coaches-fired-cal-ripken-jr-streak

KU might be looking at the recent unemployment candidates.

Kingsbury?

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-foot...hm19s4o4p6brnzd

Jim McElwain?

UCF Coach Josh Heupel ?

Rich Rodriguez?

#2035506 - 11/11/18 05:41 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
Seems there’s just nobody good enough to coach at KU!

#2035507 - 11/11/18 07:36 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
I guess my question is for those who deem Miles the best over all candidate, what program did he rebuild? If your answer is Okie St, I tend to say that is more on Gundy and his offensive prowess. Don't forget Gundy was with Miles from the start, and seems to me, still having that same success there that Miles had.

I don't see a clear cut top notch hire out there right now. Miles might very well be the best on paper. I just wouldn't call him a slam dunk. He is better than Weis. He knows the colllege landscape. If we get him in here, and he gets us a top 40 recruiting class, and then builds on that for a couple more years, I would be happy with him. I think he is a 4 year coach. That might be all we need to get things more desirable here for a bigger name later on.

#2035508 - 11/11/18 08:00 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Miles recruited superior talent. It wasn't his game coaching prowess that brought him success. He has already said that he would get an OC in the mold of Lincoln Riley if he got another job.

Best on paper. Best realistic available, attainable. You can find something wrong with every name that's been mentioned. What do you want for KU football? The perfect hire? The second or third best on paper?

I would go with someone who's attained success at the highest level of college football if I could get him. Miles is the only one on the list with those credentials.

#2035509 - 11/11/18 09:17 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: Jaycat92]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: Jaycat92
I guess my question is for those who deem Miles the best over all candidate, what program did he rebuild? If your answer is Okie St, I tend to say that is more on Gundy and his offensive prowess. Don't forget Gundy was with Miles from the start, and seems to me, still having that same success there that Miles had.

I don't see a clear cut top notch hire out there right now. Miles might very well be the best on paper. I just wouldn't call him a slam dunk. He is better than Weis. He knows the colllege landscape. If we get him in here, and he gets us a top 40 recruiting class, and then builds on that for a couple more years, I would be happy with him. I think he is a 4 year coach. That might be all we need to get things more desirable here for a bigger name later on.

For KU right now I don't think there is a slam dunk choice. Saban, Meyer heck Bear Bryant might not get it done at KU. I'd take my chances with Miles though.

I guess my question for you is why isn't Miles good enough? Who would you want to see get the job?

#2035511 - 11/11/18 09:45 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: 58hawk]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Some one please tell me why Miles wouldn't be another CW on steroids? Maybe that's why KUCO wants him.

It is not even close. Miles is a proven winner over a number of years. Weis took Willingham's players and went backwards after only a couple years.

Is it guaranteed Miles will do well, no it's not. KU is in such bad shape there is no guarantee. I would take my chances with Miles though.

#2035533 - 11/12/18 03:59 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
The NT guy reminds me too much of Herpe Derp Gill. Hasn't proven anything, just listed as "a good coach", for no reason. I think Gill is a PERFECT fit at a zombie institution where he is at now, that doesn't allow free thought, and everyone is basically beaten to submit and do as they are told, NO questions asked.

Miles would be an instant "it" guy that would truly throw juice into the program instantly. Only thing we must all agree on is they MUST get it right this time. No super bargain unproven gambles. A REAL coach with a REAL pedigree as a HEAD coach.

RCJHKU!

#2035542 - 11/12/18 07:47 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Graham sounds interesting. http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/nov/12/report-ku-interested-former-arizona-state-football/

It sounds like Miles may have spit the bit. Canceled flight to Baton Rouge and now this report. Graham has a decent resume.

#2035550 - 11/12/18 08:55 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Would Venables even return a call for $5million at year?

RCJHKU!

#2035560 - 11/12/18 10:22 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: KUHawkhead]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
Would Venables even return a call for $5million at year?

RCJHKU!

Hell yes he would. He hasn't had a head coaching offer before. I am guessing you could get Venables for 2M.

#2035562 - 11/12/18 11:00 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Topcitykid10 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Kansas
Hard no for Graham for me

#2035567 - 11/13/18 01:12 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Yeah, don't like Graham either.

I would like someone who can build a defense first (Michigan) and then find offensive pieces to make it all work together. Right now is the time to get things in motion.

What I am trying to say is 4th or 5th place in the Big 12 is obtainable sooner than later. I would say that other than Texas, OU, and WVU the rest of the league is fairly even for the most part. It would take a few seasons to get personel here for a good stout D, but I would start there.

#2035572 - 11/13/18 08:21 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Exactly what about Graham you guys do not like?

Looks to me like he scores as high, or higher, than anyone else on our list. My question about him would be his ability to recruit our region of the country. Other than that he likes like a solid contender to me.
I still like the recruiting tandem possibilities of Miles/Hull. That's something I can put my finger on and call it a win/win idea. Graham's overall record may be best of them all.
Don't let anyone tell you Long's gig isn't a tough one.

#2035577 - 11/13/18 08:51 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
Miles seems less realistic each day. Graham might be good for the program if he can stick around long enough. Part of the job description for a rebuild like this is to “eat sh!t” for a couple years minimum, week after week. Can he do that? Graham tends to bolt jobs a lot, so that may be an issue.

#2035578 - 11/13/18 09:18 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
"Miles seems less realistic each day."

Why? Getting all the i's dotted and t's crossed on a complicated numbers game like that one takes time to get done to everyone's satisfaction, not to mention the other considerations.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview