Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035479 - 11/11/18 08:53 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
JhawkJunkkie - The similarities for hiring Weis / Miles post doesn't mention that Weis' health (weight/leg/hip issues) was THE main difference between him and Miles. Miles remains healthy while we ignored that issue when giving a contract to Weis. Also ignored Weis' lack of experience in doing a turn around at Kansas. So let's get a healthy eager new coach soon...

#2035482 - 11/11/18 09:40 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Miles and Weis comparison not even close.

Miles LSU - 114 - 34, 1 NC, 1 Runner-up, 11 bowls

Miles OK ST - 28 - 21, 4 - 7, 8 - 5, 9 -4, 7 - 5, 3 bowls

OK ST had 1 winning season in the previous 12 before Miles arrived.

Weis Notre Dame - 35 - 27, 3 bowls

Weis KU - 6 - 22, 0 bowls

#2035483 - 11/11/18 09:50 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: AlOerter]
JHawkJunkie74 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Marshall County
Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Miles and Weis comparison not even close.

Miles LSU - 114 - 34, 1 NC, 1 Runner-up, 11 bowls

Miles OK ST - 28 - 21, 4 - 7, 8 - 5, 9 -4, 7 - 5, 3 bowls

OK ST had 1 winning season in the previous 12 before Miles arrived.

Weis Notre Dame - 35 - 27, 3 bowls

Weis KU - 6 - 22, 0 bowls

I'm not comparing the resumes, just the circumstances around the hiring.

#2035484 - 11/11/18 10:13 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Understood. Circumstances have been less than ideal for 10 years. I'm more interested in getting the right person. Similarities with the past don't necessarily mean similar results in the future.

Miles is the best available without question. There may be an up-and-comer that is equal to the task but, as we know, it is a big gamble. Long is in no position to take a big gamble with this. Go with the known winner. Get this program on its feet and then - maybe - take a gamble.

#2035485 - 11/11/18 10:36 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: AlOerter]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Understood. Circumstances have been less than ideal for 10 years. I'm more interested in getting the right person. Similarities with the past don't necessarily mean similar results in the future.

Miles is the best available without question. There may be an up-and-comer that is equal to the task but, as we know, it is a big gamble. Long is in no position to take a big gamble with this. Go with the known winner. Get this program on its feet and then - maybe - take a gamble.

It’s been over two years since Miles was fired. Why hasn’t he been offered and accepted another position if he is such a sure thing and he wants to coach badly. Word is the interviews don’t go well. Personally I would rather get some one who is on the way up not on the way down.
Long has indicated he will increase the support staff... putting money in people not in brick and mortar. Alabama has a support staff 10 times the size of beatys. That’s how you build a program... idiot zenger had it backwards from the beginning

#2035486 - 11/11/18 10:58 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
"It’s been over two years since Miles was fired. Why hasn’t he been offered and accepted another position if he is such a sure thing and he wants to coach badly" - I assume you don't know about the LSU buyout structure in place over a six year period since the 2016 firing of Miles. It's a major factor for any university to consider over the obvious talent Miles would bring Kansas. Plus his close ties to Long would be a pro for hiring him. Instant credibility for KU as well. Dadgum it hire the dude!!

#2035488 - 11/11/18 11:45 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Austin
Yeah, in effect Miles is actually being paid to have “bad interviews.” I would have them too!

#2035491 - 11/11/18 01:22 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
"It’s been over two years since Miles was fired. Why hasn’t he been offered and accepted another position if he is such a sure thing and he wants to coach badly" - I assume you don't know about the LSU buyout structure in place over a six year period since the 2016 firing of Miles. It's a major factor for any university to consider over the obvious talent Miles would bring Kansas. Plus his close ties to Long would be a pro for hiring him. Instant credibility for KU as well. Dadgum it hire the dude!!

Maybe I misunderstand the buyout....if so please clarify for me. It's my understanding LSU is obligated to pay Miles 9 million over 6 years. That's approximately 1.5 million each year. If he at any time during that 6 years Miles signs a new contract then LSU is off the hook for any more payments. So Miles can sit on his ass for the next 4 years and be paid 1.5 mil per year or he can get a new job....which would no doubt pay him a minimum of 3 mil a year for a gain of 1.5 mil at least for Miles. Seems like a no brainer if the guy really wants to coach. On the other hand if he isn't particularly motivated to coach again....he has a nice salary to draw without doing anything other than making an attempt to get a job. There is no buyout by KU to LSU or to Miles other than whatever a contract would pay him to coach at KU.

#2035492 - 11/11/18 02:12 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: track]
moose1 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: track

It’s been over two years since Miles was fired. Why hasn’t he been offered and accepted another position if he is such a sure thing and he wants to coach badly. Word is the interviews don’t go well. Personally I would rather get some one who is on the way up not on the way down.
Long has indicated he will increase the support staff... putting money in people not in brick and mortar. Alabama has a support staff 10 times the size of beatys. That’s how you build a program... idiot zenger had it backwards from the beginning

I don't read too much into Miles having not coached in two years. Maybe after working a high stress job for all those years, he wanted to take a break. He had to have interviews to satisfy the LSU requirements. If he wants to coach I would welcome him with open arms, if he doesn't he won't accept the job.

I totally disagree with you on getting someone on the way up vs the way down. A coach on his way up taking on a job like KU is too overwhelming. A coach who has been there understands what needs to be done. I like the fact that Miles both renewed a program like OSU, and managed a top notch program like LSU.

I will admit Seth Littrell intrigues me, and he is on the way up. That said if I am on the way up I am NOT going to a KU to take the chance it derails my career. Someone on the way down this is their last job so it is not a big risk. I really don't care if KU gets a coach that fully turns KU around. I am looking for someone to take KU from point C to point B, or where KU is right now to .500. If KU could get a coach that could get them to .500 that is all I am really looking for right now.

#2035497 - 11/11/18 03:26 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
DrGreydog Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Topeka
Bobby Petrino just became available

#2035499 - 11/11/18 04:11 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

The board interest in Littrell is a bit perplexing. That’s what we need right now: mediocrity. What you’re looking at is a .500 record type of guy. Middle of the pack of a non-power5 conference in NT in 2016. Top of the pack in ‘17 and back to middle of the pack in ‘18. Has been to a couple of bowl games while at NT which is a positive but 0-fer in both. One thing is for sure - dude has some good PR minions. I recall similar types of oohs and ahs for similar reasons surrounding the Gill hire. Sorry, just can’t take any more chances with “promising coaches”. One more strike and it could be over.

#2035500 - 11/11/18 04:21 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Some one please tell me why Miles wouldn't be another CW on steroids? Maybe that's why KUCO wants him.

#2035502 - 11/11/18 04:40 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

He very well could be. It really depends on whether he has any internal competitive drive or just sees a way for buyout opportunity like CW. One can only trust in Long who knows him well. Lots of candidates to pick from. Any dominance at any time especially if in a power 5 conference is worth serious consideration. Too bad the timing couldn’t have worked out for someone like Gary Patterson back in the day. Would have been a good fit and would have had a few grace years of growing pains to get KU up to some level of excellence - something which we don’t have now.

#2035503 - 11/11/18 04:52 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
TheStarhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Florida
1. Jason Candle
2. Jeff Monken
3. Les Miles/ Dave Doeren

#2035504 - 11/11/18 05:02 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/31/college-football-coaches-fired-cal-ripken-jr-streak

KU might be looking at the recent unemployment candidates.

Kingsbury?

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-foot...hm19s4o4p6brnzd

Jim McElwain?

UCF Coach Josh Heupel ?

Rich Rodriguez?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview