Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035151 - 11/05/18 03:40 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
Originally Posted By: vmlb
Interesting that Long has already put a limit on the possibilities for
our new coach. Doesn't want to take a chance and hire a Bill Snyder or Bob Stoops. Mediocracy is the goal.

Mediocrity is the goal. Partly because KU fans would be tickled pink with mediocrity. Partly because KU needs to get to mediocre before it can take that next step. KU needs a guy who has done it before and now is on the backside of his career. No more up and comers with no head coaching experience. KU needs someone who has been there and done that even if he is no longer in his prime.

Someone like CW.

#2035155 - 11/05/18 05:10 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
our new coach. Doesn't want to take a chance and hire a Bill Snyder or Bob Stoops. Mediocracy is the goal.

Mediocrity is the goal. Partly because KU fans would be tickled pink with mediocrity. Partly because KU needs to get to mediocre before it can take that next step. KU needs a guy who has done it before and now is on the backside of his career. No more up and comers with no head coaching experience. KU needs someone who has been there and done that even if he is no longer in his prime.

Like CHARLIE WEIS?

#2035156 - 11/05/18 05:53 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: iowaboy]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: iowaboy

Like CHARLIE WEIS?

No it was clear Charlie was a bad hire, because he was no good at Notre Dame.

Do us a favor go troll somewhere else. Hell you and Timmy should get together your would probably love each other's company.

Why are ISU fans like KSU fans? They can't be happy for themselves, they have to constantly compare themselves to KU. It is ok to be you. There is nothing wrong with that.

#2035177 - 11/05/18 11:51 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
I don't know if Long has put any limits on his hiring. The limits are already there. We have been a cellar dweller for decades with some exceptions, but more losing than winning.

Albeit, the AD job at KU is an easy one. The focus for any AD at this school should be on football and other areas. Self will take care of our basketball program (along with Adidas) and we will be fine. Seriously though, football should be an AD's biggest responsibility. I will be interested in who gets the job. It will show if this school is actually being honest about getting better or if its just lip service.

#2035183 - 11/06/18 02:20 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: Jaycat92]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Jaycat92
I don't know if Long has put any limits on his hiring. The limits are already there. We have been a cellar dweller for decades with some exceptions, but more losing than winning.

Albeit, the AD job at KU is an easy one. The focus for any AD at this school should be on football and other areas. Self will take care of our basketball program (along with Adidas) and we will be fine. Seriously though, football should be an AD's biggest responsibility. I will be interested in who gets the job. It will show if this school is actually being honest about getting better or if its just lip service.
I thought Long's comments about how KU is down 7 to 15 football related staff members within the AD compared to our conference foes and that he's already been fund raising to get the money needed to hire those 7 to 15 non-coaching football staff members shows a real seriousness and commitment to our football program. I believe many of those staff members would be in someway connected to recruiting helping to go through a lot more potential recruits and reducing a lot of the preliminary evaluation stuff for the coaches. The rest I understand are analysts which also would help reduce the amount of the basic and rudimentary stuff the coaches would have to do in addition to helping with game prep/analysis, etc.

I think that shows Long ain't playin around here and understands what needs to be done to give us the best chance of having a quality football program under the new coach. I've got more confidence in this chancellor and AD getting things done right for the football program than I have for maybe any other chancellor and/or AD in my lifetime. I can't recall the last time that I really believed our chancellor truly understood the importance of athletics to the university as a whole and especially having a good football program. Girod doesn't strike me as the type of chancellor who has to be cajoled into giving resources and support to our football program in a serious manner.

With all that said, watch them go out and rehire Chucky Weis or something. LOL

#2035191 - 11/06/18 10:21 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Not quite sure of the fascination by several (Kansas supporters) posters of bringing up former HCCW in a job search now for Kansas, but he wasn't really a great former coach that came to Lawrence. Bad AD made a worse choice for HC. A Mangino reference for this search is really what I prefer, joke or no joke. I expect the latest new admin to be aware of the overall total football boost needed to get beyond kiddy ball being displayed now. We are in the BG12, act like it, I say (to Long, Girod).

#2035193 - 11/06/18 10:43 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Not quite sure of the fascination by several (Kansas supporters) posters of bringing up former HCCW in a job search now for Kansas, but he wasn't really a great former coach that came to Lawrence. Bad AD made a worse choice for HC. A Mangino reference for this search is really what I prefer, joke or no joke. I expect the latest new admin to be aware of the overall total football boost needed to get beyond kiddy ball being displayed now. We are in the BG12, act like it, I say (to Long, Girod).

You hit the nail right on the head when you referenced "Bad AD making bad HC choice". That, in a nutshell, has been the KU Grid programs EPIC failure over the 50 years I've paid attention to this program.

How many hoops coaches in our history? Seven (7) How many AD's since 1980? Eight (8) might be more if we count "interims". Only one AD ever screwed with Hoops (Monte Johnson fires Owens, but lucked out with Larry Brown when Dean wouldn't come home.) Risky move that somehow paid off. Each AD has ALWAYS felt the need to put their personal stamp on the football program. Johnson fired Fam, hired Gottfried which led to Val. Fredrick passed on Bill Snyder and hired Mase, which didn't work out too bad until Mason left for greener ($$$) pastures where support was not like pulling teeth. Freddy lets Roy pick Gameball.....leads to "crushed dove syndrome" and our beloved Buddha.....But! Lew doesn't like Mangino....needs to make his own hire (Interim AD picks Self when Roy bolts) on a major program so bye, bye Mangino! Lew hires Gill (YIKES, Osborne's revenge for 76-39 thrashing!) leaves, then "Z" Hires Chuckles and Beaty.

The only reason I give us ANY hope this time around, is we actually NEED a coach and we actually have an AD hired to right the football ship. That hasn't happened since Mather was canned in favor of Mitchell. I should also note that Long was essentially selected by Jennings (the same interim AD who picked Self!) So maybe we actually have the right Chancellor and the right AD picking what is hopefully the right coach, at the right time.

But don't hold your breathe! If history is a guide, KU will screw the pooch once again. Though using history and all the bad choices made with regards to football over the decades, maybe, just maybe.....KU get's it right for once.

#2035292 - 11/07/18 04:18 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
tophawk87 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Dallas, TX
ADJL was with this guy at ARK for 3 seasons....

https://rolltide.com/coaches.aspx?rc=814&path=football

The pendulum always swings to cover a weakness.

Q: What was our #1 weakness under HCDB?
A: Failing to develop a qb.....what does DE do....?

(Who's going to throw much initial criticism at the idea that we hire a coach from #1 Alabama? A guy who's spent time with Nick Saban?)

Edited by tophawk87 (11/07/18 04:18 PM)

#2035296 - 11/07/18 05:07 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: tophawk87]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Originally Posted By: tophawk87
ADJL was with this guy at ARK for 3 seasons....

https://rolltide.com/coaches.aspx?rc=814&path=football

The pendulum always swings to cover a weakness.

Q: What was our #1 weakness under HCDB?
A: Failing to develop a qb.....what does DE do....?

(Who's going to throw much initial criticism at the idea that we hire a coach from #1 Alabama? A guy who's spent time with Nick Saban?)

Name this coach:
5 years as OC and QB's coach at Nebraska under Osborne, coached 2 QB all Americans, won 3 National titles, 20-30 as a HC at mid major school.

See how similar the stats are. We don't need another Turner Gill type!!!

#2035512 - 11/11/18 10:06 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I guess the answer to the question is no changes to the way Beaty coaches a game. Just as conservative as ever. How do you not take a shot for field goal at the end of the first half? You are concerned about a blocked kick? Just dumb.

#2035531 - Yesterday at 02:00 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Originally Posted By: iowaboy

Like CHARLIE WEIS?

No it was clear Charlie was a bad hire, because he was no good at Notre Dame.

Do us a favor go troll somewhere else. Hell you and Timmy should get together your would probably love each other's company.

Why are ISU fans like KSU fans? They can't be happy for themselves, they have to constantly compare themselves to KU. It is ok to be you. There is nothing wrong with that.

What in hell are you blathering about. Between your lisp and stuttering you make no sense picking on ISU. We have a coach for football. You don't. IB

Edited by iowaboy (Yesterday at 02:01 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview