Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035116 - 11/05/18 12:01 AM It Will Be Interesting to See...
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
How Beaty coaches the last three games of the year. Will he change things up? Will he coach differently since he has nothing to lose?

#2035120 - 11/05/18 08:59 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
tophawk87 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Dallas, TX
I think we could knock of KSU if he opens up the playbook and throws on first down. The O looked good against TCU, but horrid against ISU. We need to get Pooka and Sims out in space with some screens and reverses. Need to throw to our TE. C'mon, former HCDB, earn this 3 million dollar buy out on your way out the door, give us the win against KSU that we've been waiting for.....and we'll halfway forget that you went 2-31 against Big 12 teams.

#2035123 - 11/05/18 09:12 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
KKnight Offline
Junior Jayhawk

If he wants to be a HC of a high school somewhere, DB should win at least one more game.

#2035128 - 11/05/18 09:51 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: KKnight]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Be nice to see DB junk his "Air Raid" in the final 3. Start Stanley under center in the "I". Won't happen, but I for one would love to see it.

#2035130 - 11/05/18 10:05 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

Loc: Austin
It WILL be interesting to see what Beaty does. The other variable is what the players will do. Against KSuck they should be flying around, recharged with the idea that their coach has been mistreated, or they’ve been mistreated, or now they have new hope for a real coach next year. A restart button. Some weird mix of emotions like that, plus “F it, there are no rules now” is great motivation for 20 year olds.

#2035132 - 11/05/18 10:24 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Interesting that Long has already put a limit on the possibilities for
our new coach. Doesn't want to take a chance and hire a Bill Snyder or Bob Stoops. Mediocracy is the goal.

#2035133 - 11/05/18 10:33 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: vmlb]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: vmlb
our new coach. Doesn't want to take a chance and hire a Bill Snyder or Bob Stoops. Mediocracy is the goal.

Agree. Every Head Coach started as an assistant somewhere. I have no doubt that Long will end up passing on someone that will end up the next Snyder, Meyer or Saban. In five years we will all ask, why?

#2035134 - 11/05/18 10:39 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

The LJW story softened those criteria, made it sound like he’s not limiting himself absolutely.

The other theory is that Long’s statement suggests he’s already got somebody pretty much lined up, otherwise he wouldn’t have made such a pronouncement.

But here’s what I think. The brief is simple. Long wants to KU to show, finally and once and for all, serious commitment to the sport of football, for real. Go big or.... And he’s going to do it. The money will be there because now we’ve come to “sh!t or get off the pot” time. This also explains his lecturing the fans about attendance. He is sending a national message, to all ears, of high expectations, or at least reasonably so.

If there’s a strong reco from a great HC for an up and coming assistant, great. But I think that’s an unlikely path at this point.

#2035135 - 11/05/18 11:03 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Long has finally done the correct thing by telling the nice guy coach that "a new direction is needed". Nice guy is much wealthier, so no regerts from him. Lol.

However, my interest in resurgent Kansas football program includes my traveling back to Lawrence to witness the final Texas game for Senior Day.

#2035136 - 11/05/18 11:29 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: Kirk]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kirk
The LJW story softened those criteria, made it sound like he’s not limiting himself absolutely.

The other theory is that Long’s statement suggests he’s already got somebody pretty much lined up, otherwise he wouldn’t have made such a pronouncement.

But here’s what I think. The brief is simple. Long wants to KU to show, finally and once and for all, serious commitment to the sport of football, for real. Go big or.... And he’s going to do it. The money will be there because now we’ve come to “sh!t or get off the pot” time. This also explains his lecturing the fans about attendance. He is sending a national message, to all ears, of high expectations, or at least reasonably so.

If there’s a strong reco from a great HC for an up and coming assistant, great. But I think that’s an unlikely path at this point.

I don't disagree with the message being sent, but have significant doubts about the outcome. We could throw $4 million a year at a HC and still get a loser. If the intention is to go all in, let's go all in all the way and make some obscene offer to Saban or Meyer and see if they really are as great at college coaching as they appear to be. The only thing they have to lose is reputation, KU on the other hand, loses million and millions.

In the meantime, our Adidas reps need to get busy and get us some football players! laugh

#2035137 - 11/05/18 11:31 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: Kirk]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kirk

Wasn't the CW hire supposed to "show a serious commitment to FB"?

#2035138 - 11/05/18 11:43 AM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

In a twisted, laughable way that put a “name” above any other criterion. And which certainly had zero street cred in the football community.

#2035140 - 11/05/18 12:14 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: vmlb]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: vmlb

Mediocrity is the goal. Partly because KU fans would be tickled pink with mediocrity. Partly because KU needs to get to mediocre before it can take that next step. KU needs a guy who has done it before and now is on the backside of his career. No more up and comers with no head coaching experience. KU needs someone who has been there and done that even if he is no longer in his prime.

#2035143 - 11/05/18 12:56 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

I don’t think so. For one, check out the LJW story. Long hasn’t ruled out assistants absolutely. Two, the new administration sees the reality. If we don’t get serious, we’ll get gone from this conference.

That said, I’d be thrilled to have Miles. Littrell is my top choice, but he isn’t coming here.

What assistant prospects are topping your list, moose?

Do you rank them above the HC prospects?

#2035144 - 11/05/18 01:17 PM Re: It Will Be Interesting to See... [Re: moose1]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

Oh, and here’s another reason we can’t settle for “mediocre.” If the puddycats hire a strong coach before we do, we may never see another good state of Kansas player at KU again.

The stakes are high, and I assume Long gets it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview