Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035052 - 11/04/18 10:19 AM Dineen's comments
shawneehawk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I understand that Joe Dineen was disappointed with the ISU heavy crowd and low turnout.....but with what's been going on for the last 10 years it's not going to change overnight. There's simply alot of frustration with the administration and how football has been handled. It leads to apathy.....when you turn on the TV and see the attendance at other stadiums the KU folks have to cringe....man! we're leaving a lot a money on the table, even at $10 a seat!

#2035053 - 11/04/18 10:36 AM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I understand his frustration. At the same time he has to understand that it would be tough showing up for games they are most likely going to lose. It takes money, and more importantly it takes a lot of time. People are stretched thin as it is where we spend our time, so when KU is not good it makes it easy to not go.

Hell if KU basketball was THIS bad for 10 years then attendance would be horrible in the Fieldhouse as well.

#2035057 - 11/04/18 10:56 AM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Kansas
Dineen gives his best every weekend and I understand the frustrations but no matter if KU was 8-0 right now ISU would have been in full force. It’s what fan bases do! There is a heavy contingent of ISU alums in KC and Ames and des monies is only 3 hours away plus maybe a night stay in KC.

#2035060 - 11/04/18 11:16 AM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: shawneehawk
I understand that Joe Dineen was disappointed with the ISU heavy crowd and low turnout.....but with what's been going on for the last 10 years it's not going to change overnight. There's simply alot of frustration with the administration and how football has been handled. It leads to apathy.....when you turn on the TV and see the attendance at other stadiums the KU folks have to cringe....man! we're leaving a lot a money on the table, even at $10 a seat!
It's gone way beyond apathy. It's gone to tons of anger and outright hostility for most of the fanbase. Just look at this or other message boards over the past year and a half.

The KU AD is gonna have to talk the gun and the knife out of a lot of people's hands before they convince them to be merely apathetic. Heck, even apathetic people will show up once in a while for a game if they have any inkling at all that we have a shot at winning. Right now, way too many are mad ass hell and are bent on showing just how mad they really are by not showing up. Not blaming them for being that way, just pointing out this is what's going on right now.

#2035068 - 11/04/18 12:27 PM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I'm one of them Kman. I decided to stop buying season tickets when it became apparent to me that my crew was more concerned with winning than the KU coaching staff was (this was under Chaz Frontbutt, whose bench we sat in the second row behind). Truly the worst, disorganized, and clueless person I ever watched trying to coach football, Beaty included.

I really think KU should try cutting ticket prices to the $20-25 level for a season or two. I know this goes against EVERY D1 P5 school model of a profitable AD, but my god....we've lost hundreds of millions of dollars on lost ticket and concession revenue since we aborted the program by firing the best coach I ever saw in Lawrence. It would reenergize the fan base, and allow for increasing ticket prices as we experience success.

RCJHKU!

#2035094 - 11/04/18 03:49 PM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
I was somewhat offended by Dineen's comments. I mean I attend EVERY game and cheer even though we lose. Even though the coaching is bad I am there for the players. I am sorry that Joe can't see that its the coaching.

#2035111 - 11/04/18 09:35 PM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
I share Dineen's disappointment, but we've been going with this too long. I had given up my tickets this spring and then reordered the day Zenger was fired. A lot of us have been doing this KU football thing before Joe was born, so we've seen it all. Every two years it looked like Quantrill the Red coming from Lincoln, and the stadium showed it, and it happened even when KU had some good teams.

Offended? No, way. He saw what was coming, but he's loyal to his coach and his teammates. As always, he has their backs like they all should.

Holiday plans can be tough to break, but try to show up on Friday after Thanksgiving for Senior Day. It's about the players.

#2035131 - 11/05/18 10:23 AM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
shawneehawk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Dang it!! I agree PbBut...I would try to make it but we're actually flying back from NY on the 23rd .... visiting our daughter for Thanksgiving and watching the BB Jayhawks in Brooklyn.....

#2035171 - 11/05/18 10:01 PM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
Dineen and Long are both hinting the KU football program is rallying around a "Blame the fans!" message.

Bold strategy, Cotton.

#2035275 - 11/07/18 11:24 AM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: casey]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: casey
Dineen and Long are both hinting the KU football program is rallying around a "Blame the fans!" message.

Bold strategy, Cotton.
The "hinting" starts and ends with this post. Say hi to the WSU football coach for me. LOL

#2035279 - 11/07/18 11:50 AM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
$10 tickets should drop to 3$ and hope for merchandise sales and food and beverage sales.

Dry campus means no one wants to watch a losing game while not feeling good from alcohol.

The KU football great depression continues with one answer being ending prohibition.

#2035289 - 11/07/18 04:11 PM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
tophawk87 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Dallas, TX
they are going to have to lower ticket prices for the next couple of seasons to re-gain trust and interest with the Jayhawk football fan-base....what's left

#2035345 - 11/08/18 03:37 PM Re: Dineen's comments [Re: shawneehawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Possibly, though I do feel like a good, proven, big name LEGITIMATE hire would do a lot. Pretty much anyone who pays attention knows that Gill, Weis, and Beaty have all been horrific hires. They MUST get it right this time, or it truly is time to abolish the program.

RCJHKU!

Preview