Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2034353 - 10/14/18 08:31 AM Our conference...
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Is just not very good. We have maybe three decent teams, but anyone that thinks the conference "champion" belongs in the BCS Final Four is truly mistaken. Let's assume Tejas wins it. I would give them even LESS of a chance of being successful against any of the other three that will make it than Notre Dame (who will be ran off the field like they were the last time their easy schedule, non conference affiliation, and ratings drive landed them into Alabama's hands for an absolute beatdown.

I think OU is still probably the best team in our conference, but they may stub their toes at least one more time, West Virginia is who we thought they were (and seem to be every third year) good QB who somehow gets hyped up to be a Heisman contender then shows that maybe he even isn't a good college QB, TCU has no offense, Tejas is a talented team that seems to be gelling, but the injury bug is biting hard, Okie Light will cut their hair at the end of the season (maybe he'd like Lawrence?), Baylor, KSU, and KU fill out the suckittude portion of the conference. Iowa State looks currently to be the giant killer of the conference. I really enjoyed watching the game last night with WVU, but found myself depressed once the game ended, remembering what it was like to get an upset win, rush the field, and tear down goalposts-like we used to when we had an actual program. It's fun to watch, but I predict their coach will get a real offer after this season, given his winning record against ranked opponents. That doesn't bode well for him staying at a place like Ames.

How long until we can watch this product without just knowing something bad is going to happen?

Edited by KUHawkhead (10/14/18 08:32 AM)

#2034355 - 10/14/18 09:10 AM Re: Our conference... [Re: KUHawkhead]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
That is good for KU. Really part of the problem is the conference from top to bottom has been pretty solid over the last 3 to 4 years. KU needs some of those schools to fall off a little bit, so they can compete better, hopefully get some wins, raise their recruiting profile, etc.

#2034365 - 10/14/18 01:16 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: KUHawkhead]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It helps us, but definitely doesn't guarantee a long future with this little conference.

RCJHKU!

#2034370 - 10/14/18 05:01 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: KUHawkhead]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
It helps us, but definitely doesn't guarantee a long future with this little conference.

RCJHKU!

I watched some of the LSU - Georgia game yesterday and it was boring. LSU just beat down Georgia. The parity of teams in the B12 makes for better games with fewer blow outs which result in better TV ratings. ISU upsets WV, KSU upsets Oklahoma State, etc. so all of the games are interesting except for when KU is involved.

Edited by pizzanbeer (10/14/18 05:02 PM)

#2034375 - 10/14/18 07:44 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: KUHawkhead]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

There's so few eyeballs here in comparison, though. Plus when we go up against superior conferences, we be screwed.

RCJHKU!

#2034387 - 10/15/18 06:21 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: KUHawkhead]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Is just not very good. We have maybe three decent teams, but anyone that thinks the conference "champion" belongs in the BCS Final Four is truly mistaken. Let's assume Tejas wins it. I would give them even LESS of a chance of being successful against any of the other three that will make it than Notre Dame (who will be ran off the field like they were the last time their easy schedule, non conference affiliation, and ratings drive landed them into Alabama's hands for an absolute beatdown.

I think OU is still probably the best team in our conference, but they may stub their toes at least one more time, West Virginia is who we thought they were (and seem to be every third year) good QB who somehow gets hyped up to be a Heisman contender then shows that maybe he even isn't a good college QB, TCU has no offense, Tejas is a talented team that seems to be gelling, but the injury bug is biting hard, Okie Light will cut their hair at the end of the season (maybe he'd like Lawrence?), Baylor, KSU, and KU fill out the suckittude portion of the conference. Iowa State looks currently to be the giant killer of the conference. I really enjoyed watching the game last night with WVU, but found myself depressed once the game ended, remembering what it was like to get an upset win, rush the field, and tear down goalposts-like we used to when we had an actual program. It's fun to watch, but I predict their coach will get a real offer after this season, given his winning record against ranked opponents. That doesn't bode well for him staying at a place like Ames.

How long until we can watch this product without just knowing something bad is going to happen?
I witnessed that celebration in Ames as well, and wonder why that can't be done in Lawrence. I mean what does ISU have that we don't?

#2034389 - 10/15/18 07:36 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: 58hawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

They lose coaches to better gigs. We hire coaches who will never get another gig. That's basically it.

RCJHKU!

#2034410 - 10/16/18 06:41 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: KUHawkhead]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

They also have fans show up to games, even when the team sucks.

#2034432 - 10/17/18 11:26 AM Re: Our conference... [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: vmlb
They (ISU) also have fans show up to games, even when the team sucks.
...because they have no other nearby sports team in Iowa to support. Unknowledgeable football fans there. Lawrence, KC, can support Chiefs, Royals, etc.

ISU fans even come to Denver to watch the Rockies play baseball b/c their state sucks in general.

#2034433 - 10/17/18 11:40 AM Re: Our conference... [Re: KUCO_VOC]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Good idea. Lets bash isu because they support their football team. Good idea.

#2034488 - 10/18/18 11:01 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: 58hawk]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Actual football players. IB

#2034489 - 10/18/18 11:02 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: KUCO_VOC]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
...because they have no other nearby sports team in Iowa to support. Unknowledgeable football fans there. Lawrence, KC, can support Chiefs, Royals, etc.

ISU fans even come to Denver to watch the Rockies play baseball b/c their state sucks in general.

Lived in both Iowa is MUCH better. IB

#2034490 - 10/18/18 11:03 PM Re: Our conference... [Re: 58hawk]
iowaboy Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: 58hawk

I witnessed that celebration in Ames as well, and wonder why that can't be done in Lawrence. I mean what does ISU have that we don't?

Better football players and Coaches. IB

#2034496 - 10/19/18 10:25 AM Re: Our conference... [Re: iowaboy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: iowaboy
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC

Lived in both Iowa is MUCH better. IB
By all means, live in hooterville and leave Lawrence and KU alone.

#2034497 - 10/19/18 10:30 AM Re: Our conference... [Re: MICHHAWK]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
Good idea. Lets bash isu because they support their football team. Good idea.
I think a good idea is for KU football to improve so the rivalry between ISU & KU becomes a real thing again. But, yes, the fanbase for both ISU major sports, football and basketball, is filled with unrealistic fans who don't know a cornhole from an a..hole.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview