Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2034301 - 10/10/18 07:17 PM Meachum fired.
Defixione Offline

#2034302 - 10/10/18 07:50 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Defixione]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Meachum was an Air Raid guy, Beaty had no idea what an Air Raid offense was, which is why we don't have any good receivers. With us running the ball more the offensive game plan is no longer a Air Raid therefore we no longer need Meachum. Hull likely will bump up to OC along with his associate HC title.

#2034303 - 10/10/18 08:12 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Defixione]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
Originally Posted By: Defixione
Uh oh.

Sad to say that we've been "Uh oh" for a looooooooong time.

#2034305 - 10/10/18 08:39 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Defixione]
KUHawkhead Online   sick
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
It will give him the chance to get his resume out before the entire house is cleaned here at the end of the season.

RCJHKU!

#2034306 - 10/10/18 08:48 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Defixione]
DrGreydog Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
Article. Seemed to indicate that Beatty was taking over quarterback coaching and offensive play calling...

I for one am not optimistic about how this is going to turn out.

#2034307 - 10/10/18 09:05 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Defixione]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I don't think it is going to go all that well. As a matter of fact I think it will get worse. Beaty was horrible the last time he was in charge of the offense.

Also I think it funny Beaty can fire people at will, but he needs more time.

#2034308 - 10/10/18 09:44 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Defixione]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
CYA plain and simple.

#2034309 - 10/10/18 11:12 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: 58hawk]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
CYA plain and simple.

I don't see how he is covering his ass with this move. To me is more of an indictment of his coaching abilities. Selecting good assistants is a major part of the job. Plus he only covers his ass if the offense performs better. I don't see that happening. To me this is more of another nail in his professional coffin.

#2034310 - 10/10/18 11:14 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: 58hawk]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
C'mon 58, there is no "A" left to cover. It's been kicked up and down the field so often there's nothing left. At this point, it just appears to be another opportunity to point a finger. Staff instability is another hallmark of the Coach Beaty era, another example of not being ready to be a head coach.

Will we be required to call this an era?

#2034311 - 10/10/18 11:37 PM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: INation]
Goober Offline
Prairie Warrior

Steven Sims, Jr. Is a damn fine receiver. To put up the numbers he's put up, in the midst of this perpetual dumpster fire, is amazing.
We have some good players. It's just a damn shame for them and us.
With the upcoming firing of DB, which has to happen, the five year plan starts over. Again. Makes me sick. Again.

#2034312 - 10/11/18 12:43 AM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Goober]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I noticed several times Beaty was really pissed on the sidelines during the WVU game when we had the ball. Someone on twitter even has a gif or short webm video from the game where Beaty "borrows" the headset from another assistant to yell at Meacham up in the booth.

Knew there has been a lot of conflict within the coaches on the O side of the ball over the past year and half, but was under the impression last year that it was more between Yenser and Meacham. Guess some or a lot of it was between Beaty and Meacham too.

I too am not confident in this move either. Don't think Meacham was exactly killing it while he's been here, but I don't think Beaty is going to do any better and a good chance he'll do worse at play calling.

Also agree with Goober we've got some quality guys at the skill positions and overall we've got enough talent on the O side to be a lot better at scoring than we have been so far. The OL is still a work in progress, but I think it's a good deal better now than it was at the beginning of the season and that alone should allow this O to be quite a bit more productive than it has been since Big 12 play began IMHO.

I've really got to wonder how involved Vollmar and/or Long were in this move too. Don't think coach Beaty could make this move all on his own. Gotta wonder if Vollmar is giving "advice" on the O and game plans too. This in turn raises some questions to me about the thinking of Long and what he ends up doing about the football program and that it may not line up exactly with what a lot of people expect.

#2034313 - 10/11/18 07:54 AM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Obviously, Beaty isn't going to stand around and watch this team continue to under perform and fail. This is simply his way of controlling the direction of KU Football. My suggestion, since he simply can't STAND this performance? SIT DOWN AND WRITE A RESIGNATION LETTER!

#2034314 - 10/11/18 09:24 AM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Beaty is gonna go down swingin till the end. Whatever anyone's opinion of him as a coach is, he really is a non-stop energizer bunny kind of guy who'll never quit until absolutely forced to.

I'm still real curious about Vollmar and Long's roles in this coaching shakeup. I think both those guys know what they're doing when it comes to football programs and I think they both definitely had some kind of say in this.

#2034316 - 10/11/18 10:19 AM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
As another said, "the last gasp of a drowning man"

#2034317 - 10/11/18 10:25 AM Re: Meachum fired. [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I will not be the least bit surprised if Vollmer ends up the interim HC. I think Beaty gets fired on October 28. If not attendance will continue to plummet to a point where there isn't any reason to open Old Memorial for games.

The saddest thing to me is Beaty has not improved the overall program in the least these past four years, meaning that even a reincarnation of Knute Rockne would need three years to have a competitive team and four or five to become relevant. I'm not sure I will live long enough to see KU Football succeed.

Amazing that Lew Perkins single handedly killed football at two Kansas Regents schools! The ineptitude of KU AD's through the years is even more telling. If Long allows Beaty to continue much longer he would be showing me he is as bad (or worse?) as any AD we've had. If he actually retains Beaty for 2019 he needs to be run out of town before he does something even more stupid. No one can say the fans haven't been patient! Geesh, 10 years of this circus act is long enough!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview