Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2033950 - 09/30/18 09:56 AM Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
On the television I noted no one was sitting in my old section underneath the press box, where we used to have 8 tickets. I'm sure we're not missed. F them for this train wreck.

Next time I'm in Lawrence, I will take my 20 something daughter to a pumpkin patch like we did when she was a little girl.

I told the WEF this would happen 10 years ago. Here we are.

#2033951 - 09/30/18 10:14 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Here in the Denver viewing area, the televised game scheduled was OSU v KU. However, they opted to last second switch to showing the UCLA-CU replay from Friday. As Beaty says frequently, "very correctable".

AD is in charge of the correction.

#2033962 - 09/30/18 05:23 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I tried to tell people that Perkins was making the wrong decision with Gill which started us down this path but everyone was overly confident in Perkins at the time. Then Perkins had his exercise equipment scandal and his athletic deppartment had the ticket theft scandal and Gill blew up in his face. Enter Zenger and the rest is history. The KU Athletic Department would make a good case study for the KU business school about the failure of organizational decision making.

#2033964 - 09/30/18 07:40 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Title of this thread should be, "I told you so" or " hindsight is 20-20".

#2033966 - 09/30/18 08:21 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
When I heard of the Mangino fired, Harbaugh hired, Perkins proving his balls were bigger BEFORE the contract was signed, Calls to Skip Holtz and several other coaches who said "You just fired the coach of the year two years ago for winning five games at a school with no real history of success in football! Why the phuck would I take that job?", settling on Gill (who would've probably been our best option just to stick with for five years in hindsight) with a contract that IS sometimes referred to in a KU Law School class as how NOT to write a contract, to the absolute worst decision of Chaz Frontbutt (another in a long list of people who became multimillionaires merely because they knew Tom Brady), to the hiring of a non qualified, NEVER been head coach who could be had on the cheap and had delusions of finding Bill Snyder II (costing our clueless football pedigree AD his job)......

Why should I think we will do any better with our new AD? Because he is former Society of Ex Confederates school AD? It's a shitshow.....will probably always be a shitshow....and we would've been better shelving the program for a decade the MINUTE Mangino was ran out of town.

Phcuk.

RCJHKU!

#2033968 - 10/01/18 10:33 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
shawneehawk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I was a kid in the stands (2nd or 3rd row on the goal line) when Gale Sayers and KU beat a NC OU team 15-14....I was in school when John Riggins was playing at KU. I was at a KU-MU game, a bad MU team (Woody's Wagon) beat KU (Bob Valesente), a few thousand, maybe, in the stands....like 55-13....a woman in the stands nearby exclaimed "oh my god! they look like a high school team!" It's absolutely unbelievable and amazing how an institution supposedly respected academically and in Basketball (BFD!!) can screw this up over and over....Especially when it's located within a easy drive to a major metro. You'd think we'd have built in advantages. We're not in Lubbock,TX or Manhattan, KS.

#2033971 - 10/01/18 02:22 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
When I heard of the Mangino fired, Harbaugh hired, Perkins proving his balls were bigger BEFORE the contract was signed, Calls to Skip Holtz and several other coaches who said "You just fired the coach of the year two years ago for winning five games at a school with no real history of success in football! Why the phuck would I take that job?", settling on Gill (who would've probably been our best option just to stick with for five years in hindsight) with a contract that IS sometimes referred to in a KU Law School class as how NOT to write a contract, to the absolute worst decision of Chaz Frontbutt (another in a long list of people who became multimillionaires merely because they knew Tom Brady), to the hiring of a non qualified, NEVER been head coach who could be had on the cheap and had delusions of finding Bill Snyder II (costing our clueless football pedigree AD his job)......

Why should I think we will do any better with our new AD? Because he is former Society of Ex Confederates school AD? It's a shitshow.....will probably always be a shitshow....and we would've been better shelving the program for a decade the MINUTE Mangino was ran out of town.

Phcuk.

RCJHKU!
I appreciate and agree with your sentiment here, but Gill would have eventually got us the death penalty so your idea of shelving the program for a while would have come true if KU kept him around longer than we did.

#2033972 - 10/01/18 02:37 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: shawneehawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: shawneehawk
I was a kid in the stands (2nd or 3rd row on the goal line) when Gale Sayers and KU beat a NC OU team 15-14....I was in school when John Riggins was playing at KU. I was at a KU-MU game, a bad MU team (Woody's Wagon) beat KU (Bob Valesente), a few thousand, maybe, in the stands....like 55-13....a woman in the stands nearby exclaimed "oh my god! they look like a high school team!" It's absolutely unbelievable and amazing how an institution supposedly respected academically and in Basketball (BFD!!) can screw this up over and over....Especially when it's located within a easy drive to a major metro. You'd think we'd have built in advantages. We're not in Lubbock,TX or Manhattan, KS.
Cool recollections you've got. I'd have loved to been able to see those things live in person.

Thing Lubbock, TX has going for it is it's in Texas. Even though it's just as far away or even further away from some of the talent hot spots within the state of Texas than Lawrence, KS is, it's still in-state. That fact alone has a lot of sway with recruits in Texas even though it's an isolated sh|ithole out in flat West Texas. Flat enough that it makes the flattest part of Western KS look like the rockies (it really is quite a bit flatter than the flattest parts of KS).

The only thing Manhattan has going for it, is Bill Snyder. He alone has created the idea and image that it's not too bad out there for quite a few football recruits though he too has struggled to recruit talent out there.

KU just constantly shoots itself in the face and have done just about everything it can to ruin the advantage of being so close to KC. It's also still difficult to convince quite a few recruits that Lawrence is a lot different place than the stereotype of Kansas being a flat treeless isolated prairie with nothing to do (which Manhattan is much more close to).

#2033976 - 10/01/18 04:44 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: shawneehawk
Cool recollections you've got. I'd have loved to been able to see those things live in person.

Thing Lubbock, TX has going for it is it's in Texas. Even though it's just as far away or even further away from some of the talent hot spots within the state of Texas than Lawrence, KS is, it's still in-state. That fact alone has a lot of sway with recruits in Texas even though it's an isolated sh|ithole out in flat West Texas. Flat enough that it makes the flattest part of Western KS look like the rockies (it really is quite a bit flatter than the flattest parts of KS).

The only thing Manhattan has going for it, is Bill Snyder. He alone has created the idea and image that it's not too bad out there for quite a few football recruits though he too has struggled to recruit talent out there.

KU just constantly shoots itself in the face and have done just about everything it can to ruin the advantage of being so close to KC. It's also still difficult to convince quite a few recruits that Lawrence is a lot different place than the stereotype of Kansas being a flat treeless isolated prairie with nothing to do (which Manhattan is much more close to).

N ver been to Lubbock but seems odd that Lawrence is hilly at less than 860 elevation and Lubbock is flat at 3200 elevation

#2033978 - 10/01/18 05:30 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

18,000 for Homecoming. Think about that. At a Power 5 Conference school. Think about that.

#2033982 - 10/01/18 08:09 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
MOHAWK Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: San Diego, California
It is a very sad state of affairs. I think I will go play a certain Springsteen song to cheer up.

#2033987 - 10/02/18 12:29 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
Never been to Lubbock but seems odd that Lawrence is hilly at less than 860 elevation and Lubbock is flat at 3200 elevation
Ever been to Mount Sunflower out in Western Kansas? You know, the highest point in the state of Kansas at 4,041'. That's a very flat area too.

Elevation doesn't indicate hilliness or flatness. Lubbock may be 3,200', but so is everywhere within about 300 miles of that place too!

"Mount" Sunflower

#2033988 - 10/02/18 01:27 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

On the other hand Mount Oread is only 1,037' in elevation, but is 187' above its immediate base and 237' above the Kansas River just to its immediate North.

Mount Blue or Blue Mound(depending on when/where you grew up, and not a great photo of it, but it's the 1st one I found) just SE of Lawrence tops out at 1,052' and its base along the banks of the Wakarusa River is at about 788' for an elevation of 264' and that biggish valley you drive through on K-10 between De Soto and K-7 drops down to about 760' along the banks of Cedar Creek and up to 1065' on the East side of the valley for a 305' elevation change.

None of that is huge, but it's definitely not very flat either. Anyone who's had to walk the hill for 4 or 7 years (if you go the Tommy Boy route! LOL) knows all too well how steep it is!

You'd be hard pressed to find a 1' elevation change within 200 or 300 miles of Lubbock! LOL

Actually in truth it is a tilted flat plain, so it does slightly rise from East to West but you can't tell from looking around. The horizon looks the same in all directions, just flat as a pancake as far as the eye can see.

#2033989 - 10/02/18 01:52 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Here's an image taken not too far away from Lubbock to give you an idea.

I had a professor at KU who used to talk about this subject from time to time and I believe he said something to the effect that geographically speaking it's around 2 1/2 times flatter than the flattest parts of Kansas. Don't quote me on the exact numbers though, it's been a while. In fact it's been so long that that professor has not only retired, but also passed away from old age too!

#2033990 - 10/02/18 02:01 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Leawood
18,000 for Homecoming. Think about that. At a Power 5 Conference school. Think about that.
It was a sad sight there on Saturday!

A ton of people stayed out partying in the houses to the north of the stadium and in tailgate areas and surrounds, but never wondered into the stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 30,000 people who were out partying in the areas all around the stadium and up the hill but never left the parties/cookouts.

#2034006 - 10/02/18 01:16 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
MNJhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Orlando, FL
Made it out to the game for the first time in a handful of years on Saturday. 18,000 was definitely a high estimate. looked more like 10 or 11 to me.

But I don't blame anyone at all for not wanting to show up. That was probably the best coached game of the season and it was still terrible. 2nd play of the game- we have too many men on the field!

I was lucky enough to be in the press box and sitting next to Giants and Chiefs scouts- they were both literally laughing during our first possession when we ended up going "hurry up" and almost having a 3 and out after OKST just had a long methodical TD drive.

I know that if the team was just decent, or even bad, but well coached and disciplined- we would have close to 40,000 people in the stands. get a team that wins 6-8 games every year and it would be damn near close to full every game.

but after a decade of this- no fanbase in the country would be showing up

#2034008 - 10/02/18 03:53 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: MNJhawk]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Sounds like a crowd at the Kansas relays on a rainy Saturday afternoon...............But again, what is the point of showing up when you can stay home and/or DVR the Beaty $hitshow without forking over $50 for a ticket?

In all honesty, I've seen as many for a few spring games. Financially speaking Beaty could at least support his inflated salary by fielding a marginally competitive but entertaining team. Right now KU is losing nearly $2 million per home game in lack of ticket sales alone and making REAL friends out of the concessions folks! laugh

It wasn't that long ago that many on this board blamed to poor attendance on the "bad sightlines" in the stadium......wonder where those "Build it and they will come" folks are today?

#2034009 - 10/02/18 04:22 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

There is no easy answer anymore. Even if we get a "name" coach at the end of this year, it will be five years before anyone should really get excited at the possibility of success. Yes, there are some pieces here now that can contribute, but honestly, will the next coach even run the offense that we currently do to utilize their strengths?

It's been fun seeing some buzz on here.....last few years, there was NO activity on here, even on game days. I just wish we could have known then what we know now in 2009, and would've fired Lew rather than Mangino. Yeah....yeah....I know.....he was in over his head, was about to lose everyone on his staff, etc. But guess what? He would've left a MUCH more stable base than Perkins and his Fire everyone.....trainers, assistants, etc. Do you know how much KSU loves our strength trainers? I know someone who transferred to KSU from Ft. Scott a year before they arrived. He couldn't believe how much bigger, faster, and stronger the KSU players got IMMEDIATELY after arriving there and using these new trainers. We had Fat John who fell asleep in the weight room with a bucket of KFC beside him.....that really happened.

I just can't imagine that there has ever been a program as mismanaged in D1 sports as KU football was the past 10 years (Lew started destroying it during the 2009 season).

Strap in kids, it/s gonna get a helluva lot more ROUGH than it will smooth anytime soon.

RCJHKU!

#2034010 - 10/02/18 04:41 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Well, I agree it will be ugly getting BowenBeaty buddies era out of our heads. But believe me when I say the 30K party goers will sit and watch when we have a quality coach. And staff. Not a kiddy Corp or old folks home country club.

#2034011 - 10/02/18 04:48 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

I have faith the AD is sick and tired of infestation of poor coaching choices. Beaty can claim his era turned a corner. But turning into a cliff dive off the Rocky Mtns is no choice at all. He was/is unquestionably unqualified for his position as a P5 HC. Like Zenger, he can count his lucky stars that he lied his way into a respectable HC job. Good riddance

#2034014 - 10/02/18 09:21 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
TheBashman Offline
Baby Jay

This program was in excellent hands with the "crushed dove" Al Bohl. He hired Mangino and certainly would have worked better with him than Perkins did to see this program had everything needed to succeed.

Instead, basketball once again trumped the football program and when Roy was about to bolt for UNC, the kneejerk reaction was to fire Bohl, who wasn't Roy's best friend.

Perkins is certainly responsible for trying to kill KU football like he did Wichita State, but he should have never had the job if basketball didn't always win out.

We always hear "we want to be a football school too!" And hire these so called "football ADs", but when one wants to shake up the tree, it won't last long.

#2034041 - 10/03/18 12:46 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Bohemia
You don't want to admit it but the football program started it's downhill slide when we lost this guy.

My daughters still think he was the best thing to happen to KU football

#2034042 - 10/03/18 01:39 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree. The Mancer was very entertaining. Also losing the support of White Owl and his abducted child bride was a drawback as well.

RCJHKU!

#2034043 - 10/03/18 01:43 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

I remember that guy. To this day, I am ashamed for saying bad things about him over a decade ago. Our youth is better than me.

Al Bohl got screwed plain and simple. Lew Perkins messed up football. But, he did one thing really good. He kicked the blue hairs who made token donations to the WEF out of the prime AFH seats. He used the increased donations to help fund improvements to the football facilities.

I knew football was screwed at the Spring Game of 2010 when dyslexic Turner Gill made the fans raise their right hand and swear not to cuss at football games. I knew football was screwed when that dipshit Zenger hired that fat guy. I knew football was screwed when Zenger hired a wide receiver coach to be head coach.

For the above and foregoing reasons, I have stopped going to KU football games. The investment in time and money simply is not worth it.

18,000. For Homecoming.

#2034052 - 10/03/18 07:57 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree. I quit going when my crew and I cared more about our performance on the field than the coach and players did.

RCJHKU!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview