Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2033950 - 09/30/18 09:56 AM Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
On the television I noted no one was sitting in my old section underneath the press box, where we used to have 8 tickets. I'm sure we're not missed. F them for this train wreck.

Next time I'm in Lawrence, I will take my 20 something daughter to a pumpkin patch like we did when she was a little girl.

I told the WEF this would happen 10 years ago. Here we are.

#2033951 - 09/30/18 10:14 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Here in the Denver viewing area, the televised game scheduled was OSU v KU. However, they opted to last second switch to showing the UCLA-CU replay from Friday. As Beaty says frequently, "very correctable".

AD is in charge of the correction.

#2033962 - 09/30/18 05:23 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I tried to tell people that Perkins was making the wrong decision with Gill which started us down this path but everyone was overly confident in Perkins at the time. Then Perkins had his exercise equipment scandal and his athletic deppartment had the ticket theft scandal and Gill blew up in his face. Enter Zenger and the rest is history. The KU Athletic Department would make a good case study for the KU business school about the failure of organizational decision making.

#2033964 - 09/30/18 07:40 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Title of this thread should be, "I told you so" or " hindsight is 20-20".

#2033966 - 09/30/18 08:21 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
KUHawkhead Online   sick
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
When I heard of the Mangino fired, Harbaugh hired, Perkins proving his balls were bigger BEFORE the contract was signed, Calls to Skip Holtz and several other coaches who said "You just fired the coach of the year two years ago for winning five games at a school with no real history of success in football! Why the phuck would I take that job?", settling on Gill (who would've probably been our best option just to stick with for five years in hindsight) with a contract that IS sometimes referred to in a KU Law School class as how NOT to write a contract, to the absolute worst decision of Chaz Frontbutt (another in a long list of people who became multimillionaires merely because they knew Tom Brady), to the hiring of a non qualified, NEVER been head coach who could be had on the cheap and had delusions of finding Bill Snyder II (costing our clueless football pedigree AD his job)......

Why should I think we will do any better with our new AD? Because he is former Society of Ex Confederates school AD? It's a shitshow.....will probably always be a shitshow....and we would've been better shelving the program for a decade the MINUTE Mangino was ran out of town.

Phcuk.

RCJHKU!

#2033968 - 10/01/18 10:33 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
shawneehawk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I was a kid in the stands (2nd or 3rd row on the goal line) when Gale Sayers and KU beat a NC OU team 15-14....I was in school when John Riggins was playing at KU. I was at a KU-MU game, a bad MU team (Woody's Wagon) beat KU (Bob Valesente), a few thousand, maybe, in the stands....like 55-13....a woman in the stands nearby exclaimed "oh my god! they look like a high school team!" It's absolutely unbelievable and amazing how an institution supposedly respected academically and in Basketball (BFD!!) can screw this up over and over....Especially when it's located within a easy drive to a major metro. You'd think we'd have built in advantages. We're not in Lubbock,TX or Manhattan, KS.

#2033971 - 10/01/18 02:22 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
When I heard of the Mangino fired, Harbaugh hired, Perkins proving his balls were bigger BEFORE the contract was signed, Calls to Skip Holtz and several other coaches who said "You just fired the coach of the year two years ago for winning five games at a school with no real history of success in football! Why the phuck would I take that job?", settling on Gill (who would've probably been our best option just to stick with for five years in hindsight) with a contract that IS sometimes referred to in a KU Law School class as how NOT to write a contract, to the absolute worst decision of Chaz Frontbutt (another in a long list of people who became multimillionaires merely because they knew Tom Brady), to the hiring of a non qualified, NEVER been head coach who could be had on the cheap and had delusions of finding Bill Snyder II (costing our clueless football pedigree AD his job)......

Why should I think we will do any better with our new AD? Because he is former Society of Ex Confederates school AD? It's a shitshow.....will probably always be a shitshow....and we would've been better shelving the program for a decade the MINUTE Mangino was ran out of town.

Phcuk.

RCJHKU!
I appreciate and agree with your sentiment here, but Gill would have eventually got us the death penalty so your idea of shelving the program for a while would have come true if KU kept him around longer than we did.

#2033972 - 10/01/18 02:37 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: shawneehawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: shawneehawk
I was a kid in the stands (2nd or 3rd row on the goal line) when Gale Sayers and KU beat a NC OU team 15-14....I was in school when John Riggins was playing at KU. I was at a KU-MU game, a bad MU team (Woody's Wagon) beat KU (Bob Valesente), a few thousand, maybe, in the stands....like 55-13....a woman in the stands nearby exclaimed "oh my god! they look like a high school team!" It's absolutely unbelievable and amazing how an institution supposedly respected academically and in Basketball (BFD!!) can screw this up over and over....Especially when it's located within a easy drive to a major metro. You'd think we'd have built in advantages. We're not in Lubbock,TX or Manhattan, KS.
Cool recollections you've got. I'd have loved to been able to see those things live in person.

Thing Lubbock, TX has going for it is it's in Texas. Even though it's just as far away or even further away from some of the talent hot spots within the state of Texas than Lawrence, KS is, it's still in-state. That fact alone has a lot of sway with recruits in Texas even though it's an isolated sh|ithole out in flat West Texas. Flat enough that it makes the flattest part of Western KS look like the rockies (it really is quite a bit flatter than the flattest parts of KS).

The only thing Manhattan has going for it, is Bill Snyder. He alone has created the idea and image that it's not too bad out there for quite a few football recruits though he too has struggled to recruit talent out there.

KU just constantly shoots itself in the face and have done just about everything it can to ruin the advantage of being so close to KC. It's also still difficult to convince quite a few recruits that Lawrence is a lot different place than the stereotype of Kansas being a flat treeless isolated prairie with nothing to do (which Manhattan is much more close to).

#2033976 - 10/01/18 04:44 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: shawneehawk
Cool recollections you've got. I'd have loved to been able to see those things live in person.

Thing Lubbock, TX has going for it is it's in Texas. Even though it's just as far away or even further away from some of the talent hot spots within the state of Texas than Lawrence, KS is, it's still in-state. That fact alone has a lot of sway with recruits in Texas even though it's an isolated sh|ithole out in flat West Texas. Flat enough that it makes the flattest part of Western KS look like the rockies (it really is quite a bit flatter than the flattest parts of KS).

The only thing Manhattan has going for it, is Bill Snyder. He alone has created the idea and image that it's not too bad out there for quite a few football recruits though he too has struggled to recruit talent out there.

KU just constantly shoots itself in the face and have done just about everything it can to ruin the advantage of being so close to KC. It's also still difficult to convince quite a few recruits that Lawrence is a lot different place than the stereotype of Kansas being a flat treeless isolated prairie with nothing to do (which Manhattan is much more close to).

N ver been to Lubbock but seems odd that Lawrence is hilly at less than 860 elevation and Lubbock is flat at 3200 elevation

#2033978 - 10/01/18 05:30 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
18,000 for Homecoming. Think about that. At a Power 5 Conference school. Think about that.

#2033982 - 10/01/18 08:09 PM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
MOHAWK Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: San Diego, California
It is a very sad state of affairs. I think I will go play a certain Springsteen song to cheer up.

#2033987 - 10/02/18 12:29 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
Never been to Lubbock but seems odd that Lawrence is hilly at less than 860 elevation and Lubbock is flat at 3200 elevation
Ever been to Mount Sunflower out in Western Kansas? You know, the highest point in the state of Kansas at 4,041'. That's a very flat area too.

Elevation doesn't indicate hilliness or flatness. Lubbock may be 3,200', but so is everywhere within about 300 miles of that place too!

"Mount" Sunflower

#2033988 - 10/02/18 01:27 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

On the other hand Mount Oread is only 1,037' in elevation, but is 187' above its immediate base and 237' above the Kansas River just to its immediate North.

Mount Blue or Blue Mound(depending on when/where you grew up, and not a great photo of it, but it's the 1st one I found) just SE of Lawrence tops out at 1,052' and its base along the banks of the Wakarusa River is at about 788' for an elevation of 264' and that biggish valley you drive through on K-10 between De Soto and K-7 drops down to about 760' along the banks of Cedar Creek and up to 1065' on the East side of the valley for a 305' elevation change.

None of that is huge, but it's definitely not very flat either. Anyone who's had to walk the hill for 4 or 7 years (if you go the Tommy Boy route! LOL) knows all too well how steep it is!

You'd be hard pressed to find a 1' elevation change within 200 or 300 miles of Lubbock! LOL

Actually in truth it is a tilted flat plain, so it does slightly rise from East to West but you can't tell from looking around. The horizon looks the same in all directions, just flat as a pancake as far as the eye can see.

#2033989 - 10/02/18 01:52 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Here's an image taken not too far away from Lubbock to give you an idea.

I had a professor at KU who used to talk about this subject from time to time and I believe he said something to the effect that geographically speaking it's around 2 1/2 times flatter than the flattest parts of Kansas. Don't quote me on the exact numbers though, it's been a while. In fact it's been so long that that professor has not only retired, but also passed away from old age too!

#2033990 - 10/02/18 02:01 AM Re: Homecoming: 18,000 in attendance [Re: Leawood]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Leawood
18,000 for Homecoming. Think about that. At a Power 5 Conference school. Think about that.
It was a sad sight there on Saturday!

A ton of people stayed out partying in the houses to the north of the stadium and in tailgate areas and surrounds, but never wondered into the stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 30,000 people who were out partying in the areas all around the stadium and up the hill but never left the parties/cookouts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview