Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2033916 - 09/29/18 04:44 PM Another lost season....
shawneehawk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Shawnee, KS
David Beaty probably should be fired, if for no other reason, for not being able to identify his QB....namely anyone not named 'Bender'. We're practically half way through the season and Carter Stanley who should've been out there game one is essentially behind the 8-ball although He and Beaty say that he is and has been preparing.....however there's nothing like actual game experience. Maybe Kendrick will prove to be the guy down the road.....but the offense seems to at least have some type of rhythm when CS is the QB. Beaty was grilled about this several times in the post game to point that he said "ok, no more quarterback questions".

#2033919 - 09/29/18 05:11 PM Re: Another lost season.... [Re: shawneehawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: shawneehawk
David Beaty probably should be fired, if for no other reason, for not being able to identify his QB....namely anyone not named 'Bender'. We're practically half way through the season and Carter Stanley who should've been out there game one is essentially behind the 8-ball although He and Beaty say that he is and has been preparing.....however there's nothing like actual game experience. Maybe Kendrick will prove to be the guy down the road.....but the offense seems to at least have some type of rhythm when CS is the QB. Beaty was grilled about this several times in the post game to point that he said "ok, no more quarterback questions".

Actually it makes sense. QBs get hurt a lot especially behind crappy offense lines. Save the better QB for Big 12. I seriously doubt Beaty is smart enough to figure that out but it’s one argument. Bottom line is Bender should only be in the game if Stanley is hurt.

#2033924 - 09/29/18 06:55 PM Re: Another lost season.... [Re: shawneehawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: shawneehawk
His mismanagement of the QB spot has been probably his worst failure. It probably will also be a major, if not the major factor in him getting fired.

Bender looks like the best QB in practice for sure, but it was obvious last year that when the real in game action began he folded like a cheap tent. He just has zero elusiveness and doesn't fire up the team like Stanley does. He's got no "it" factor and can't extend plays.

Stanley isn't great, but he fires up the team to go all out and follow him. He also has a certain amount of that "it" factor. He puts himself on the line and has some elusiveness which we still need because despite some improvement our OL isn't too good. Kid is a gamer and does the best he can with the tools he has.

Kendrick is still an incomplete IMO. We haven't seen enough of him to know what he's really capable of. He's definitely the best runner of the QB's though.

#2033928 - 09/29/18 08:32 PM Re: Another lost season.... [Re: shawneehawk]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I don't know if it was his worst, but it is up there. I just wonder where Meachum is in all this. That said you are right K-Man, sometimes the guy that looks good in practice is not who you want leading the team. You need a gamer, someone with some attitude. If he doesn't have that then it doesn't matter if he is the best thrower.

Other problems I have with Beaty:

Handling of the offense in general. Why would you try to run the air raid with the talent at KU, at least since Beaty has been there. I get it if you want to get your team to that point, but you have to work with what you got. Also all the changing of coordinators, and then changing the philosophy on the offensive linemen he wanted to recruit. It has just been mismanaged since the start.

In game coaching. The game is just too fast for Beaty. He is too analytical, and has no feel for the game. Timeouts are a disaster.

Recruiting. Supposed to recruit Texas. Is having a hard time with that. Relying too much on JUCO's here lately. Although he was probably forced into that a little bit.

I do think he is slowly getting better, but not nearly fast enough. If he wants to be a good head coach he needs to be a coordinator someplace, and gain a little more experience.

#2033931 - 09/29/18 10:17 PM Re: Another lost season.... [Re: shawneehawk]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Also why can't Beaty just say Stanley is the starter next week. That performance earned Stanley that much. I think it would help the confidence of the team as a whole if Beaty could just say yeah we are going to start Stanley next week, and see where he takes us. Instead he talks about looking at the tape. It all sounds so wishy washy, and like he doesn't know what he is talking about.

#2033934 - 09/29/18 10:30 PM Re: Another lost season.... [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: moose1
Also why can't Beaty just say Stanley is the starter next week. That performance earned Stanley that much. I think it would help the confidence of the team as a whole if Beaty could just say yeah we are going to start Stanley next week, and see where he takes us. Instead he talks about looking at the tape. It all sounds so wishy washy, and like he doesn't know what he is talking about.
I think he knows what he's talking about. He's just over analyzing the sh|it out of things again, like always. No need to look at the video to "analyze" things.

#2033947 - 09/30/18 07:52 AM Re: Another lost season.... [Re: shawneehawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I just hope the kids don't quit on Beaty like they did Chaz Frontbutt. They have to know that he will be gone after this year, but hopefully they also understand that they can be serviceable if they have coaches who actually understand what sport requires a helmet and a football. Like I've said, there are pieces here...it's not nearly as decimated as it was after Chaz Frontbutt kicked 20 kids off, they just need a COACH. And I mean one that has coached BEFORE.

RCJHKU!

#2034053 - 10/03/18 08:41 PM Re: Another lost season.... [Re: KUHawkhead]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

This is a weird season. I am in a waiting mode until Long replaces Beaty and only half way paying attention to this season. Wasting this season was OK to get the right AD in place and I believe we have the right AD to fix football in Jeff Long.

Preview