Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2033436 - 09/11/18 08:45 AM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: prairiehawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: prairiehawk
A little off the subject, but does anyone know anything about TE James Sosinski? Is he still playing?
Yes. He played in both games so far, but didn't record a stat.

#2033437 - 09/11/18 08:47 AM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: Goober]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Goober
I didn't see Sayers in person. I did watch him on black and white TV though. I am old enough to have watched all the others mentioned. Numerous times. I'll take the Diesel.
Just one mans opinion.
I was fortunate enough to watch Bobby Douglass, David Jaynes, Frank Suerer(SP), Todd Reesing. Reesing and Douglass had the best teams around them. Both so much fun to watch. One a video game like QB. The other a battering ram.
How does Junior stack up in your opinion?

#2033438 - 09/11/18 08:59 AM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: DrGreydog]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Maybe we should dial it back on Pooka. I am as excited for him as anyone, but it was one game against CMU. Let's not put too much on him right now. I think he is going to be a fine player, but let him become him instead of the next Sayers. I am just excited that he is on KU, and to see where this kid goes from here the rest of the year.

#2033441 - 09/11/18 11:27 AM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
I didn't see Sayers in person. I did watch him on black and white TV though. I am old enough to have watched all the others mentioned. Numerous times. I'll take the Diesel.
Just one mans opinion.
I was fortunate enough to watch Bobby Douglass, David Jaynes, Frank Suerer(SP), Todd Reesing. Reesing and Douglass had the best teams around them. Both so much fun to watch. One a video game like QB. The other a battering ram.

Junior (the eldest) wasn't nearly as big or quite as fast as Big John, but he was a solid running back. People forget just how fast John was, especially as a younger man in college. Sub 10 second 100 yard dash speed. Against the litterbox, the year they opened the hole in the ground, John broke a huge run and the only guy to catch him was future all pro CB Clarence Scott...and that was only because he had the angle.

One of the best running back games I ever saw was John against OU Heisman winner Steve Owens in 1970- (Both were Seniors) When KU had the ball, the BLUE 32 with white numbers would run into the white defense for a gain of 5....rarely tackled, just stopped forward progress....when OU had the ball the white "32" with red numerals ran into a see of blue and the same thing transpired....two unreal power backs on the same field at the same time.

I think Billy might have had a future had he not got hurt...kind of like the Zook brothers (John, Dean and Dale). Dale might have been the best of the bunch too, but injuries stopped him like they did Billy Riggo.

#2033442 - 09/11/18 11:36 AM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: beenahawk]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Just one mans opinion.

Junior (the eldest) wasn't nearly as big or quite as fast as Big John, but he was a solid running back. People forget just how fast John was, especially as a younger man in college. Sub 10 second 100 yard dash speed. Against the litterbox, the year they opened the hole in the ground, John broke a huge run and the only guy to catch him was future all pro CB Clarence Scott...and that was only because he had the angle.

One of the best running back games I ever saw was John against OU Heisman winner Steve Owens in 1970- (Both were Seniors) When KU had the ball, the BLUE 32 with white numbers would run into the white defense for a gain of 5....rarely tackled, just stopped forward progress....when OU had the ball the white "32" with red numerals ran into a see of blue and the same thing transpired....two unreal power backs on the same field at the same time.

I think Billy might have had a future had he not got hurt...kind of like the Zook brothers (John, Dean and Dale). Dale might have been the best of the bunch too, but injuries stopped him like they did Billy Riggo.

I stood along the rail and watched riggo run the 100 at the KU relays his senior year in high school. He looked like a monster compared to the other runners. I wouldn’t have wanted to try and tackle him.

#2033444 - 09/11/18 12:39 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: Goober]
Kirk Offline
John Brown

Loc: Austin
Originally Posted By: 1985hawk
If Pooka had played in the Nichols game, I think he would have been a difference maker
No doubt he'd have won that game for us.

In my way way way too early estimation, he may be the best RB we've had since Sayers. Kid is a natural with skills I haven't seen in a RB in a long long time. IF (HUGE IF!) he keeps this up, he may be 1 of the best RB's in the country this year IMHO. He looked just like he did last year in the Louisiana HS playoffs, where he looked more like he was a video game player putting up ridiculous stats, except he did it against a D-1 opponent on Saturday.

Sayers! Are you nucking futz? Right now he is in the Kerwin and Dino Bell category...he might jump to Cornish territory in a few more games, then on to Sands and Henley, then maybe to a Laverne Smith or Del Williams mode.....but he is a long, long, long way from being mentioned in the same sentence as Sayers!

Just one mans opinion.

Great description.

And I agree about the Diesel. Talk about a valuable player.

#2033445 - 09/11/18 12:40 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

AWESOME STUFF Beenahawk!

Truly invaluable perspective! Thanks for sharing.

You can't read or learn this kind of stuff from old videos and books.

#2033446 - 09/11/18 12:45 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
I stood along the rail and watched riggo run the 100 at the KU relays his senior year in high school. He looked like a monster compared to the other runners. I wouldn’t have wanted to try and tackle him.
Keep the first hand perspectives coming!

Thanks for sharing track!

My father watched him at the state championships run (my dad was competing in a couple field events, yeah I'm bragging on my pops some here! LOL) and his description of Riggo running the 100 was almost verbatim to yours. My dad is bigger than Riggo and he still said he looked like a monster running down the track to him.

#2033447 - 09/11/18 05:12 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: DrGreydog]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Big Dipper

From Benton Smith today at Beaty’s presser:

“Beaty on Pooka Williams' availability for rest of season: Will not say whether he is available beyond this week.
Said it was an eligibility issue that kept him out Week 1.
#KUfball“

WTF!!?

#2033448 - 09/11/18 05:36 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: Kman_blue]
track Online   content
gale sayers

My father watched him at the state championships run (my dad was competing in a couple field events, yeah I'm bragging on my pops some here! LOL) and his description of Riggo running the 100 was almost verbatim to yours. My dad is bigger than Riggo and he still said he looked like a monster running down the track to him.

Ask your dad if he ever heard of Levi Lee. He was a shorter version of John who I played against.
So much for big schools over little schools. I am a year older than John. I was the starting middle linebacker and tailback for Topeka high. ...6A. Our class had 810 kids... no doubt bigger than centralias entire school ... 3A...but we didn’t have anyone like the Riggin boys. I was the same size as John at 6’2” 210. ... but no way was I as fast or a natural like he was. I saw him out a lot at clubs after college.... he was a real wild man and a real character.

#2033449 - 09/11/18 05:57 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: DrGreydog]
1985hawk Offline
Moderator-Retired

Loc: Back here
My Dad officiated a track event that Riggins ran in.. He said he looked like a freight train coming down the track

#2033450 - 09/11/18 06:00 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: 1985hawk]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: 1985hawk
My Dad officiated a track event that Riggins ran in.. He said he looked like a freight train coming down the track

That’s a great description

#2033454 - 09/11/18 08:53 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: DrGreydog]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: KS
Kman- Thanks for the update on the TE, Sosinski. Unforunately, I had to miss the first two games, but hopefully will be at or watch the TV for the rest of the games. Really thought the big TE would have a be a major factor in the offense this year. Oh well, the season is still young. He seemed like a natural for that position, especially with great hands, decent speed, and excellent size.

#2033456 - 09/11/18 10:29 PM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: Kman_blue]
Goober Offline
Prairie Warrior

Billy was really good. It just seemed like he was always fighting the injury bug. John was just a freak of nature.

#2033457 - 09/12/18 12:09 AM Re: Pooka Williams [Re: DrGreydog]
Josh2408 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview