Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2033223 - 09/04/18 07:56 AM Should KU abolish football?
KKnight Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Many colleges do not have football. Perhaps we should do the same.

#2033224 - 09/04/18 08:35 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KKnight

No thanks... if we quit football I quit ku.

Edited by track (09/04/18 11:46 AM)

#2033227 - 09/04/18 10:47 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Bottomline historically KU football is not at the bottom of D1 teams. Sure it has sucked since the fat man left. But a program that had great plavers like Riggins...Sayers...Hadl...Talib...etc should never be abandoned. The issue is how to fix it. Facilities are top notch outside of the stadium and that soon will be rectified. Can't really blame an A.D.....so you have to point to the coaches(plural) and the type of players they recruit.

KU usually doesn't recruit juco transfers but they should like Snyder does...there are more than enough junior colleges in the country to fill our team with quality athletes. KU cannot compete with the B12 powerhouse schools for the great high school recruits..Texas..T Tech..Okie...Baylor etc will get first pick of those. Also dump Beatty and his entire staff now...alumni love ain't getting it done. Find a young sucessfull mid major school coach and hire him and his staff. There has got to be someone out there that can get the job done.

#2033241 - 09/04/18 10:07 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Yardbirdbob Offline
Big Dipper

I don't think KU should do that at all. Honestly, all KU football needs to do for the VAST, VAST majority of fans, is not totally suck. Outside of a few thousand die hards, most KU fans could give a rip about football. They just don't want to be embarrassed by it. Beat K-State every now and again, win an average of 50% of all games over a 10 year stretch - good enough. Anything better than that is gravy, and fun while it lasts.

Dropping football all together gets the school booted from the Big 12 - and that is not acceptable to KU basketball. Never gonna happen.

#2033242 - 09/04/18 10:15 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Kansas
GTFO with this!

#2033243 - 09/04/18 11:32 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

No

#2033254 - 09/05/18 08:19 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
It's fine, if you want to be the next Wichita State with a similar douchey head coach. Bill Self will NOT be in a nonpower five conference.....you can rest assured of this being true.

RCJHKU!

#2033257 - 09/05/18 08:47 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
. Can't really blame an A.D.....so you have to point to the coaches(plural) and the type of players they recruit.

KU usually doesn't recruit juco transfers but they should like Snyder does...there are more than enough junior colleges in the country to fill our team with quality athletes.

I've been around long to enough to blame several AD's....Clyde Walker for dumping Fam after the 74 season, Monte Johnson for dumping him again in 82. Had Fam been left alone either time, he would have laid a foundation for continued future success. Booby Fredrick was AD in name only, turned everything over to Roy which is how we ended up with Gameball. Lew Perkins effectively killed our program hiring Gill after running the Buddha off and lastly...ZENGER for giving us both Weis and Beaty.

As for the JUCO's......that thought is nucking futz!

#2033262 - 09/05/18 10:39 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

You are just another ancient Topeka dumb asss...Juco transfers is the logical solution if your shiity program cant land the elite high school recruits. If you know so much what is the answer...

#2033264 - 09/05/18 11:46 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
track Offline
gale sayers

You are just another ancient Topeka dumb asss...Juco transfers is the logical solution if your shiity program cant land the elite high school recruits. If you know so much what is the answer...

“Ancient Topeka dumb asss?” LOL. Don’t stereotype all us ancient topekans .

#2033265 - 09/05/18 11:47 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

What would you like to see happen, beena... assuming the obvious that the entire current coaching staff is let go?

#2033266 - 09/05/18 12:22 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
What would you like to see happen, beena... assuming the obvious that the entire current coaching staff is let go?

The new associate AD for Football becomes interim HC, retains the staff until a permanent hire is made. Permanent hire needs to build the program from the ground up, way too many JC's already on the roster and there is a reason kids go to JC. Grades, attitude, sometime lack of development. Anyone who thinks wholesale recruitment of JC's is the answer only need look at what that has gotten us between Weis and Beaty....look further back and see what it did for Val and Mason after Gottfried did it. Spotting in JC's due to need is one thing...I'd take another Bill Whittemore any day, but GOOD programs don't rely on JC's. Bill Snyder doesn't so much rely on JC's as he develops his kids...and for those who haven't noticed, Snyder wins with kids from within the state borders.

As for who our next HC should be? Not sure, but if Long gives the search committees questions to any candidate, like Zenger did with Beaty, prior to interview, we could end up with another homespun moron like Beaty! I would prefer if the next HC either played or coached both the O and D lines and prefers to play smashmouth football instead of another crazy ass version of the air raid.

#2033269 - 09/05/18 03:18 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
It's fine, if you want to be the next Wichita State with a similar douchey head coach. Bill Self will NOT be in a nonpower five conference.....you can rest assured of this being true.

RCJHKU!
It'd be even worse than just that (as you most certainly already know). We'd get kicked out of the Big 12 as Yardbirdbob said and that'd mean our athletics budget gets cut in half, making it on par with Wichita State's more or less. That all in turn means our facilities start to suffer. Our exposure, especially nationally, starts to suffer. Our reputation as a major public university starts to suffer. Our student enrollment starts to suffer. Our school overall declines and starts to suffer. End of story.

Not many schools that cut football have prospered and grown, or even held steady overall as an institution. It's usually been a sign of general decline.

#2033270 - 09/05/18 03:20 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
I would prefer if the next HC either played or coached both the O and D lines and prefers to play smashmouth football instead of another crazy ass version of the air raid.
Don't think the wishbone is making a comeback! grin

#2033273 - 09/05/18 04:29 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Answer - no.

#2033276 - 09/05/18 05:05 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
I would prefer if the next HC either played or coached both the O and D lines and prefers to play smashmouth football instead of another crazy ass version of the air raid.
Don't think the wishbone is making a comeback! grin

Don't have to play the bone to play smashmouth...ask Mark Dantonio.

#2033277 - 09/05/18 05:05 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: Kman_blue]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I did opine about going to a wishbone running type of offense, but realize you HAVE to recruit the linemen to run it FIRST. Only Mangino believed in getting absolute monsters on both sides of the line first. Today's spread doesn't really allow teams to live and die by the bone, anyway.
RCJHKU!

#2033278 - 09/05/18 05:20 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: track]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

“Ancient Topeka dumb asss?” LOL. Don’t stereotype all us ancient topekans .

It's sad if you actually lived in TopCity that long..that city is turrible..

#2033279 - 09/05/18 05:38 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
track Offline
gale sayers

It isn't so bad...Lawrence is 25 minutes and KC is less than an hour.. Housing prices here are a fraction of what they are paying in KC right now as is the traffic.

#2033282 - 09/05/18 08:11 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Josh2408 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana

#2033292 - 09/06/18 05:18 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: track]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

It isn't so bad...Lawrence is 25 minutes and KC is less than an hour.. Housing prices here are a fraction of what they are paying in KC right now as is the traffic.

I live in KC and its worth the extra housing costs. I go to the V.A. hospital a few times a yr in Topeka and drive around when I do...there is nothing good about it. Hell 3 individuals have flipped me off in traffic there on those occasions. Never has happened to me in metro KC in 4 yrs I have lived here. And compared to Atlanta where I moved from KC traffic is nothing..

#2033293 - 09/06/18 05:28 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Phog - as a kid growing up in Lawrence I remember going on the roof to watch the “tornado alley” storm in Topeka. Look up the pictures as it was horrible. Wiped out blocks of homes. Stay in KC...

#2033294 - 09/06/18 06:28 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Dont worry...I will...KC metro has changed a lot in the 31 yrs I lived out east. Topeka really hasn't....now back to the subject at hand....#firebeatynow...

#2033296 - 09/06/18 09:20 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
track Offline
gale sayers

I think I was one of those that flipped you off. You are a horrible driver and a menace to other good drivers...please stay in KC.

#2033297 - 09/06/18 09:24 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Phog - as a kid growing up in Lawrence I remember going on the roof to watch the “tornado alley” storm in Topeka. Look up the pictures as it was horrible. Wiped out blocks of homes. Stay in KC...

Missed our house by 5 blocks.....that was one bad ass tornado. We need some of that bad ass on our football team.

#2033298 - 09/06/18 10:32 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: track]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Y’all don’t worry about Central Michigan. We beat them pretty easily despite turnovers early.
Schedule for Kansas is ranked 100+ out of 130, so there should be some wins. If not, look into Toledo, Akron, or somewhere in Ohio. Some good coaches come out of there. Then again Nick Saban was born and raised in The mountains of West Virginia.

Kentucky and Kansas together couldn’t beat the Alabama’s, tOSU, OU, etc
Given their resources Texas hasn’t figured it out either.
I think Lane Kiffin would be an improvement for Kansas. He can recruit, have to pay him and convince him to give up all that ass he’s getting on the sunny Florida beaches.

#2033300 - 09/06/18 10:43 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Yea..Lane is going to leave south Florida for KU...cmon ya dang drunk hillbilly..

#2033303 - 09/07/18 06:50 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

That SBNation article was written at about a third grade level. While I have stated in the past that it might be something to consider, the other thing one has to realize is that if we DO drop football, we will NOT be in the Big XII anymore. With that, Bill Self will NOT be our coach anymore. He simply will NOT coach a program that is NOT in the P5.

We MUST MUST MUST invest in our program IF we want to have a chance in hell of it being successful. This involves bringing in a REAL coach with credentials, giving them an open checkbook, and realizing it may be up to 8 years before we see tangible results (knowing that rather than wins the early years, we may have to just be satisfied with competing and staying close). The days of win now or you are gone only apply to teams that have had recent multigenerational success.

Basically look at our program as a 2005 Lamborghini....we bought it new, and damn was it fun for the first few years. Now we have decided that we want to keep it, drive it regularly, but once the warranty wore out (in 2009), we quit taking it to the dealership that is the only one that can maintain it. Now it is leaking oil, running like shite, transmission barely shifts, cooling leaks everywhere, and it hasn't been detailed since 2009. But we want to keep it! Well, the bill will be close to buying it new, but it's time to book it into a stall.

RCJHKU!

#2033304 - 09/07/18 08:37 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KUHawkhead]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Good analogy HH! I would say the old sports car has been stuck in reverse since the phat man turned the keys over to guys who simply don't know how to drive.

#2033306 - 09/07/18 12:26 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yea..Lane is going to leave south Florida for KU...cmon ya dang drunk hillbilly..

I only drink moonshine for my rheumatism.....

#2033313 - 09/07/18 09:02 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: track]
Yardbirdbob Offline
Big Dipper

Lol! Love it Track!

#2033316 - 09/08/18 08:21 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: track]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

I think I was one of those that flipped you off. You are a horrible driver and a menace to other good drivers...please stay in KC.

The more Topekians...lol..I can take out the better. Crap town...140000 meth heads...GO KU BEAT CENTRAL MICHIGAN...

#2033317 - 09/08/18 08:22 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: Yardbirdbob]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Originally Posted By: Yardbirdbob
Lol! Love it Track!

Oh...this is Plano most likely...lol.

#2033342 - 09/08/18 06:44 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

I guess kknight is feeling stoopid about now....

#2033347 - 09/08/18 08:23 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KKnight Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Why should I feel stupid by asking a question in the forum? Isn't this a place for discussion? Dropping football from KU does not affect KU's D1 status. There in fact are many D1 schools not having football and they are doing fine. You can't fault me for not seeing light in the dark KU football tunnel. Football is not academics, but a football coach gets paid more than any full professor. The money spent to support this losing football adventure could well be used to finance many academic programs and research projects. Kansas is not a football state like Alabama or Ohio.

#2033348 - 09/08/18 08:33 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Kirk Offline
John Brown

Loc: Austin
I don't understand how KU would benefit from dropping football. Even when we have a mediocre team (oh, how we long for that now), the KU campus offers a tremendous game day experience that people have loved for generations.

The only thing we should abolish is the current coaching staff.

#2033350 - 09/08/18 08:56 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: Kirk]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I told you Kansas had no worries today. Next time bet the farm on my free advice.

#2033353 - 09/08/18 09:26 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KYBLUEBLOOD]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KYBLUEBLOOD
I told you Kansas had no worries today. Next time bet the farm on my free advice.

You apparently have a long and illustrious career waiting for you in Pimping, french ticklers, and sports prognostication. Honestly, you should be an 8 over millionaire

#2033355 - 09/08/18 10:17 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Why should I feel stupid by asking a question in the forum? Isn't this a place for discussion? Dropping football from KU does not affect KU's D1 status. There in fact are many D1 schools not having football and they are doing fine. You can't fault me for not seeing light in the dark KU football tunnel. Football is not academics, but a football coach gets paid more than any full professor. The money spent to support this losing football adventure could well be used to finance many academic programs and research projects.

Kansas is not a football state like Alabama or Ohio.

Go away...today should show u why.

#2033359 - 09/09/18 04:34 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KKnight Offline
Junior Jayhawk

I never consider my opinions the last words. Neither should you.

#2033369 - 09/09/18 10:47 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

No...I still want u to go away...lol

#2033371 - 09/09/18 10:52 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
madcapper Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Ozarks
Hell yeah, get rid of all sports except intramurals and put the universities to doing what they are suppose to do "educate".

#2033372 - 09/09/18 11:02 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

. Kansas is not a football state like Alabama or Ohio.

Or Montana

#2033393 - 09/10/18 09:57 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Why should I feel stupid by asking a question in the forum? Isn't this a place for discussion? Dropping football from KU does not affect KU's D1 status.
No, it doesn't, but it definitely does our P5 status and that's the real rub. P5 conference members receive tremendously more money from athletics than do non-P5 D1 schools. That'd be a crippling blow to our overall athletic budget and hence all of the non-income generating teams which boils down to everything outside of men's bball and football really. It would also greatly diminish our national exposure which in turn diminishes our national brand to an extent as well as diminishing our overall number of admission applications and thus the size and quality of the potential student pool we'd have to choose from.

Students don't just want to become academically educated. They also want to be a part of something like a winning sport's program (as part of its direct fan base) and all of the life experiences, memories, friendships, and overall community bounding that goes along with that. I get that not all students/people are this way, but the vast majority are and it's important to them and their social well being (hence their quality of life at a school), more so than just getting a good academic education.

You can't fault me for not seeing light in the dark KU football tunnel.
No, I don't think you can. It sucks for everyone who cares about KU football, but this has been the longest darkest tunnel we've ever been in with this program.

Football is not academics, but a football coach gets paid more than any full professor.
Because in the vast majority of cases that football coach helps bring in a lot more money than a full professor and any grant monies or research dollars they can bring in. It may rub some people the wrong way, but universities just like everything else in the world, run on money and individuals who can bring in the most get rewarded with the most generally speaking.

The money spent to support this losing football adventure could well be used to finance many academic programs and research projects. Kansas is not a football state like Alabama or Ohio.
No, KU is not a Bama or Ohio St. (I assume you meant the Buckeyes and not the Bobcats) in regards to football, but the part in bold is a fallacy. That money is only there because of KU football. The money being spent on KU football, despite how crappy it's been recently, is only there because KU football exists. Get rid of KU football and all of those millions goes away with it because our membership in a P5 athletic conference goes away and that's where all of that money comes from. Nobody at Big 12 headquarters is going to be funneling tens of millions of dollars or any money at all KU's way if we drop football. That money isn't just sitting around waiting to be used on anything. It's specifically there because we're in a P5 conference with a football program.

#2033509 - 09/15/18 03:27 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
used_cars Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Dallas, TX
It hurts my soul that this thread got started

#2033601 - 09/18/18 11:15 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
used_cars Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

In 1984 you could have made a case for Wisconin dummping football

#2033602 - 09/18/18 11:18 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: used_cars]
used_cars Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Pardon my spelling errors

#2033628 - 09/19/18 06:57 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: Kman_blue]
KKnight Offline
Junior Jayhawk

I appreciate your explanation, Kman_blue. You are reasoned and insightful, unlike some self-proclaimed know-it-all who tell people like me to go away and want to monopolize the forum discussion considering their opinions the last words.

#2033631 - 09/19/18 12:38 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Out of all of the things I get called on this forum, I'll take "reasonable and insightful" everyday of the week! LOL

Thanks for the nice words!

I just tried to lay things out how I think they are and thus why I'm an adamant supporter of KU football still.

#2033632 - 09/19/18 01:08 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: Kman_blue]
KKnight Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Again, I appreciate the productive and rewarding discussion, instead of being sniped at or told to go away. People who can't tolerate differences are bigots or under-educated. An open forum such as this one should be closely monitored to disallow rude and nasty comments. The offenders should be removed if the caution is not heeded.

#2033634 - 09/19/18 01:43 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Knight- the topic is foolish as abolished football would mean the end of top notch sports at Kansas. We would be eagerly awaiting the Drake Relays yearly.

#2033665 - 09/20/18 04:28 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
I agree with KUCO. You can kiss the Big 12 and other revenue streams goodbye if we abolish football.

#2033678 - 09/21/18 04:58 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

If we can somehow get to 5-5 yearly in football the revenue stream would return to respectable levels for football. Not saying with or without Beaty at the helm. Personally I don’t care if stays or goes. Just want some entertaining games to see.

#2033730 - 09/23/18 03:29 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
used_cars Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

We could build a stadium that is almost as nice as the averarge Texas high school

#2033731 - 09/23/18 03:44 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
used_cars Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

But dont cover our beloved hill. If we get on TV we will cover the sacred hill with circus tents and alcoholics

#2033732 - 09/23/18 04:10 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
used_cars Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

That hill use to mean something. Im not just talking about Nebraska fans

#2033735 - 09/23/18 04:46 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
used_cars Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Edited by used_cars (09/23/18 04:47 AM)

#2033760 - 09/23/18 09:09 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUHawkhead Offline