Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2033223 - 09/04/18 07:56 AM Should KU abolish football?
KKnight Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Many colleges do not have football. Perhaps we should do the same.

#2033224 - 09/04/18 08:35 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KKnight

No thanks... if we quit football I quit ku.

Edited by track (09/04/18 11:46 AM)

#2033227 - 09/04/18 10:47 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Bottomline historically KU football is not at the bottom of D1 teams. Sure it has sucked since the fat man left. But a program that had great plavers like Riggins...Sayers...Hadl...Talib...etc should never be abandoned. The issue is how to fix it. Facilities are top notch outside of the stadium and that soon will be rectified. Can't really blame an A.D.....so you have to point to the coaches(plural) and the type of players they recruit.

KU usually doesn't recruit juco transfers but they should like Snyder does...there are more than enough junior colleges in the country to fill our team with quality athletes. KU cannot compete with the B12 powerhouse schools for the great high school recruits..Texas..T Tech..Okie...Baylor etc will get first pick of those. Also dump Beatty and his entire staff now...alumni love ain't getting it done. Find a young sucessfull mid major school coach and hire him and his staff. There has got to be someone out there that can get the job done.

#2033241 - 09/04/18 10:07 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Yardbirdbob Offline
Big Dipper

I don't think KU should do that at all. Honestly, all KU football needs to do for the VAST, VAST majority of fans, is not totally suck. Outside of a few thousand die hards, most KU fans could give a rip about football. They just don't want to be embarrassed by it. Beat K-State every now and again, win an average of 50% of all games over a 10 year stretch - good enough. Anything better than that is gravy, and fun while it lasts.

Dropping football all together gets the school booted from the Big 12 - and that is not acceptable to KU basketball. Never gonna happen.

#2033242 - 09/04/18 10:15 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Kansas
GTFO with this!

#2033243 - 09/04/18 11:32 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KKnight
No

#2033254 - 09/05/18 08:19 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
It's fine, if you want to be the next Wichita State with a similar douchey head coach. Bill Self will NOT be in a nonpower five conference.....you can rest assured of this being true.

RCJHKU!

#2033257 - 09/05/18 08:47 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
. Can't really blame an A.D.....so you have to point to the coaches(plural) and the type of players they recruit.

KU usually doesn't recruit juco transfers but they should like Snyder does...there are more than enough junior colleges in the country to fill our team with quality athletes.

I've been around long to enough to blame several AD's....Clyde Walker for dumping Fam after the 74 season, Monte Johnson for dumping him again in 82. Had Fam been left alone either time, he would have laid a foundation for continued future success. Booby Fredrick was AD in name only, turned everything over to Roy which is how we ended up with Gameball. Lew Perkins effectively killed our program hiring Gill after running the Buddha off and lastly...ZENGER for giving us both Weis and Beaty.

As for the JUCO's......that thought is nucking futz!

#2033262 - 09/05/18 10:39 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
You are just another ancient Topeka dumb asss...Juco transfers is the logical solution if your shiity program cant land the elite high school recruits. If you know so much what is the answer...

#2033264 - 09/05/18 11:46 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
You are just another ancient Topeka dumb asss...Juco transfers is the logical solution if your shiity program cant land the elite high school recruits. If you know so much what is the answer...

“Ancient Topeka dumb asss?” LOL. Don’t stereotype all us ancient topekans .

#2033265 - 09/05/18 11:47 AM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

What would you like to see happen, beena... assuming the obvious that the entire current coaching staff is let go?

#2033266 - 09/05/18 12:22 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: track
What would you like to see happen, beena... assuming the obvious that the entire current coaching staff is let go?

The new associate AD for Football becomes interim HC, retains the staff until a permanent hire is made. Permanent hire needs to build the program from the ground up, way too many JC's already on the roster and there is a reason kids go to JC. Grades, attitude, sometime lack of development. Anyone who thinks wholesale recruitment of JC's is the answer only need look at what that has gotten us between Weis and Beaty....look further back and see what it did for Val and Mason after Gottfried did it. Spotting in JC's due to need is one thing...I'd take another Bill Whittemore any day, but GOOD programs don't rely on JC's. Bill Snyder doesn't so much rely on JC's as he develops his kids...and for those who haven't noticed, Snyder wins with kids from within the state borders.

As for who our next HC should be? Not sure, but if Long gives the search committees questions to any candidate, like Zenger did with Beaty, prior to interview, we could end up with another homespun moron like Beaty! I would prefer if the next HC either played or coached both the O and D lines and prefers to play smashmouth football instead of another crazy ass version of the air raid.

#2033269 - 09/05/18 03:18 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
It's fine, if you want to be the next Wichita State with a similar douchey head coach. Bill Self will NOT be in a nonpower five conference.....you can rest assured of this being true.

RCJHKU!
It'd be even worse than just that (as you most certainly already know). We'd get kicked out of the Big 12 as Yardbirdbob said and that'd mean our athletics budget gets cut in half, making it on par with Wichita State's more or less. That all in turn means our facilities start to suffer. Our exposure, especially nationally, starts to suffer. Our reputation as a major public university starts to suffer. Our student enrollment starts to suffer. Our school overall declines and starts to suffer. End of story.

Not many schools that cut football have prospered and grown, or even held steady overall as an institution. It's usually been a sign of general decline.

#2033270 - 09/05/18 03:20 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
I would prefer if the next HC either played or coached both the O and D lines and prefers to play smashmouth football instead of another crazy ass version of the air raid.
Don't think the wishbone is making a comeback! grin

#2033273 - 09/05/18 04:29 PM Re: Should KU abolish football? [Re: KKnight]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Answer - no.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview