Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2033034 - 08/27/18 08:10 AM Band Day?
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Just have to love the direction things are going. Yet another tradition dumped. BAND DAY CANCELLED!!! I was looking forward to seeing the HS kids bolster the game day crowd to 25k!

Oh well, who needs a marching band performance when we have a PA system that can blast out rap music heard in Wyandotte County? crazy

#2033040 - 08/27/18 10:09 AM Re: Band Day? [Re: beenahawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Maybe they were worried about kids coming into contact with drunks exiting The Field Goal Club.

Edited by pizzanbeer (08/27/18 10:11 AM)

#2033046 - 08/27/18 12:51 PM Re: Band Day? [Re: beenahawk]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
My guess is they have gotten increasingly declining interest. I can remember seeing busses from Satanta and Elkhart back in the 70s...Jaynes, Cromwell, Smith, Campfield, Adams, Williams...football and bad band music. Glory Days.

#2033083 - 08/29/18 01:24 PM Re: Band Day? [Re: PbBut]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Yeah attendance has been on a steady decline for the past 15 years or so. I think a lot of that has been blamed on tightening school budgets for a lot of schools that used to attend in addition to KU now saying the costs of hosting it don't outweigh the benefits because of the lower attendance.

#2033089 - 08/29/18 05:38 PM Re: Band Day? [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Yeah attendance has been on a steady decline for the past 15 years or so. I think a lot of that has been blamed on tightening school budgets for a lot of schools that used to attend in addition to KU now saying the costs of hosting it don't outweigh the benefits because of the lower attendance.
So all the “dui” schools dumping band day? No. If we suc so bad, we should subsidize the HS to travel here. Or get a coach that would draw in some high school bands from schools that we could recruit from. Sorry it IS all about DB.

#2033095 - 08/30/18 02:09 AM Re: Band Day? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

They strongly considered cancelling band day back in 2007 too. It's mostly been a problem with the smaller and even medium sized high schools having tighter budgets over the past 15 years or so. Less of them have bands as well as a lack of funds to travel to Lawrence for band day if they still have a marching band.

Lack of general fan attendance certainly doesn't help things out and better attendance could maybe bring in enough extra $$ for KU to subsidize the smaller and poorer schools, perhaps.

#2033125 - 09/01/18 05:03 PM Re: Band Day? [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I opted out of attending today, to protest cancelling Band Day. Will be following the action but not happy about how we are shrinking our overall program. DB could have overruled this as he supposedly is in charge of the thing. Meaning the football program. Guess he hates music distractions.

#2033156 - 09/02/18 12:02 AM Re: Band Day? [Re: beenahawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
How does KSU pack out their stadium for band day then? It's just another example of why KU needs to either get serious about football, or just phucking cancel the program......and yes, I am serious. It's getting very tiresome seeing us step on our own dick time and time and time again. I remember how we used to make fun of "Futility U". Well, guess what? We are phucking Futility U now. As a matter of fact, those Futility U teams from KSU would run a phucking train on the shitshow that K phucking bullshit U phuckball has become. Phuck this shite.

#2033245 - 09/04/18 11:57 PM Re: Band Day? [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Don't think ksu has had a band day since 2016. They've got a couple of other gimmicky band related days instead, like (HS) band directors day for HS band directors and All-star marching band day for something like 150 HS marching band students (paying their own way) from any HS in the state to come play during a game.

#2033256 - 09/05/18 08:28 AM Re: Band Day? [Re: beenahawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'll be damned and you are correct! I could've sworn that the McPherson High band went last year....but realize now that we have lived in Hutch for going on three years now, and I've been out of the loop. Probably too much revenue lost on tickets for the kids? Hell, KU should give each band member a ticket and $50 to spend at the concession stand, as much revenue as we are losing on this shitshow.

#2033268 - 09/05/18 03:07 PM Re: Band Day? [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LOL

It just seems like time flies as you get a little older!

You like Hutch or McPherson better so far?

And I'm all for anything that could get more people's butts in the stands at Memorial, so I'd be for your idea!

#2033272 - 09/05/18 04:26 PM Re: Band Day? [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

After KU graduation I lived in Hutch for three years (1980-4) My wife said the time was like an eternity!! But had zero family there. Hutch Juco football was good to watch.

#2033275 - 09/05/18 05:01 PM Re: Band Day? [Re: beenahawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

McPherson hands down. Much nicer, cleaner, and well run town. Hutch is an absolute armpit. Wife works here, I still practice in Newton, and we are basically living here for free for the next nine years until retirement. At that point, we will probably move out of the area. I hope to one day want to attend KU football again....but it's a few years away. We do plan on attending some Hutch games. I still believe they could give our StumbleHawks a run for their money, but that idea wasn't popular here earlier when I brought it up in a post. Minds may have changed since then!

RCJHKU!

Preview