Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2032081 - 07/10/18 08:55 AM I spent the last week in northern Aztlan
parkhawk3319 Online   sick
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Bohemia
Good Morning

Traveling around the Penitente villages and the Spanish cities and towns. The food was great and the people were friendly. We brought back a couple of pounds of chili from Romero's outside of Espanola. I made one new friend, Dominic "Cano" Espinosa. A short travelogue from the trip about mi amigo nuevo.

“The soul should always stand ajar”…..those were the first words of the book on CD we were listening to as we headed out west. It’s a line from an Emily Dickenson poem, I first heard it several years ago when a friend quoted it to me. I try to take it to heart.

And so it was as we drove down a side street in Antonito CO on our way back from Santa Fe, NM. I had read something about “Cano’s Castle” on the internet and asked our friend Karl about it when we stopped in Pagosa Springs a few days before, Karl somehow knows everyone. Sure as hell Karl say’s; “yeah I know Cano, he was a friend of a friend; that should be interesting.” Driving down the gravel streets it is obvious a couple of blocks away which place is Cano’s. Parking across the street we see a slight but nimble guy walking around the edge of the yard carrying a large pick axe and pulling weeds. Getting out of the car and staring up at the twin towers and soaking it all in we hear, “it sure is a beautiful day”. I say, “Yes it is; couldn’t ask for a better day”. As we continue looking, the guy is watching us and going about his work. After a few minutes he walks over and Krystal asks if he built this. He answers in the affirmative and starts telling his story. It is quite the story. About an hour later he asks if we want to go inside his home, a separate structure on the same lot, and see his shrine. At this point another line comes to mind, this one courtesy of Frank Zappa “Well, I was born to have adventure, so I just followed up the steps”. This is where we pause and look at each other, I give Krystal a look that says, “you up for this?” She nods a “yes” and in we go, to the inner sanctum of Cano’s world.

I should stop here to give a brief description of Cano’s home. It is a three or four story, depends on whether or not you count the open air observatory on top of the third floor as another floor, wood structure that has been added onto several times. There is a second floor that looks as though the original roof was cut back on the small bungalow and then the second floor was dropped on top. Above that is a third story that partially covers the second and it sags into the second floor framing pretty visibly. I won’t bore you with the details but in my mind the words “undersized transfer beams” now pop up. The place is topped out with a crow’s nest of some sort made of steel pipes that looks like a party deck. All of this was contemplated and processed and a quick probability of collapse assessed based upon current wind speed in the split second after he asked, “do you want to come in and see my shrine?”. Chances are better than 60% that we get out of here alive.

The door ajar; we stepped inside. It was dark and smelled strongly of wood smoke, he cooks on and heats the place with an antique wood stove in the kitchen. Also in the kitchen he shows us a small hatch in the ceiling, “that’s how you get up to the second floor“, he laughs. In the side room off the kitchen was the shrine. It was very nice, simple and obviously well kept. He showed us pictures of his family and there was a larger portrait of “mi Tio” whom he told us earlier had been hung in the early 1900’s when the family land was stolen by cattle ranchers because they were running the Spanish sheep ranchers out of the valley. He gave us a photo of himself on the towers and signed and dated it and we went back outside. We declared ourselves to be friends now and he told us that the next time we come visit he will take us up to the third floor and show us his workplace where he cuts up the aluminum cans. In my mind I am still trying to figure out the route to the third floor, an old photo I saw shows three wooden ladders sort of tied together on the outside of the house leading up there. We might drive a JLG lift down to Antonito next time.

Cano's Castle

A descendent of Spanish settlers and Ute natives and a US Military vet, how much more American can you get? Did his family come into this land the right way? They came over the traditional "American" way I suppose you could say. As conquering invaders taking the land from the locals and making it their own. Why should we change that? It is survival of the fittest, it is what made America great in the first place. Manifest destiny! If the old white people can't make it in this environment, they can move back to Olathe.

So open the southern border and let's make Aztlan more colorful and flavorful again. We could all use a little less white bread.

In case you are wondering about the book, I highly recommend it. Especially for old people who are stuck in the groove of concrete thinking. It describes the process and research on how to hit the "reset button" on your brain.

How to change your mind

#2032090 - 07/10/18 07:38 PM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: parkhawk3319]
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: az
I think this isn't about politics? Post was too long.

#2032092 - 07/10/18 08:30 PM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: imzcount]
Wilt Chamberlain

#2032098 - 07/11/18 07:57 AM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: imzcount]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: imzcount
I think this isn't about politics? Post was too long.
...says the poster who talks on and on about his unemployed granddaughter who he is helping to get paid by sitting at home.

But yet he isn't a Democrat. But wants the benefits personally. Riiiight.

#2032099 - 07/11/18 08:18 AM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Wilt Chamberlain

Make Azatlan Great Again, get rid of the golf courses, gated retirement villages and RV parks.

#2032108 - 07/11/18 11:54 AM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: parkhawk3319]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

Loc: District of Columbia
lulz

Not in California East.

#2032120 - 07/11/18 06:09 PM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: DCHawk1]
Wilt Chamberlain

Buying the site for the trip shack. Sending a cash offer for 2 acres out this week. We should be ready for your liftoff in a couple of summers. Prepare to have your mind changed for the better.

#2032129 - 07/11/18 07:16 PM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: parkhawk3319]
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: parkhawk3319
Buying the site for the trip shack. Sending a cash offer for 2 acres out this week. We should be ready for your liftoff in a couple of summers. Prepare to have your mind changed for the better.

If this some type of sweat lodge, I'd advise DC to watch himself.

#2032132 - 07/11/18 07:23 PM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: imzcount]
Wilt Chamberlain

You will need a passport soon.

#2032139 - 07/11/18 07:48 PM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: parkhawk3319]
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: parkhawk3319
You will need a passport soon.

Already have two, for me and wifey, just in case.

#2032141 - 07/11/18 08:00 PM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: parkhawk3319]
Defixione Offline

And I'll bet one could guess they've never been used.

#2032143 - 07/11/18 08:04 PM Re: I spent the last week in northern Aztlan [Re: Defixione]
Wilt Chamberlain

Does Branson count?

Preview