Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2031979 - 07/05/18 01:26 PM Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Former Arkansas AD has been chosen to take over at University of Kansas. They are paying him a huge salary to jumpstart football and the stadium reno. Good luck to him, he sounds qualified to do his job.

#2031980 - 07/05/18 01:36 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
.I wish him the very best. Hope he can get the football program turned around.

#2031981 - 07/05/18 02:21 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Jeff Long will have to hire another football coach.

Jessica Dorrel and Bobby Petrino was scandalous.

#2031982 - 07/05/18 02:56 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: Maximus]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
excellent hire given the football needs.

#2031986 - 07/05/18 04:27 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Former Arkansas AD has been chosen to take over at University of Kansas. They are paying him a huge salary to jumpstart football and the stadium reno. Good luck to him, he sounds qualified to do his job.

Now for the inevitable BS pressers..."I have met with Coach Beaty and feel extremely confident in his and his staff's abilities..." ultimately followed by the kiss of death quote" I give Coach Beaty a strong vote of confidence!"

Let the BS games begin!

#2031987 - 07/05/18 07:13 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: beenahawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Hiring Long puts KU in a good position to hire a new football coach. This will help us target our speculation about the replacement for Beaty.

#2031992 - 07/06/18 08:56 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

http://m.kusports.com/news/2018/jul/05/tom-keegan-next-football-hire-will-determine-new-a/

No problems if Jeff Long offered Lee Miles the KU football coach positions. Boosters would be wise to donate for changing KU football around.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...-job/906009001/

#2031995 - 07/06/18 09:38 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Soon-to-be AD Jeff Long is the first quality hire in upper management for years at Kansas. His cred isn't like an over-the-hill former HC hire...

#2032010 - 07/06/18 08:08 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Not sure about hiring a guy that was fired recently so we'll see what he can do.

#2032023 - 07/07/18 07:29 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Not convinced he is a real AD level candidate? LOL

#2032026 - 07/08/18 10:02 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

No, I'm not saying that. I think the biggest asset he has is experience as a P5 AD. But is recent football hire at Arkansas has to be questioned.

#2032028 - 07/08/18 10:15 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
No, I'm not saying that. I think the biggest asset he has is experience as a P5 AD. But is recent football hire at Arkansas has to be questioned.
Looking for a perfect candidate? We are so far away from perfection in football, that I am thrilled ANY one with this much experience & still young enough to bother trying this turn-around. We should wish him well w/o complaining.

#2032040 - 07/08/18 12:21 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Long was best gettable guy available. No one has a perfect coach-hiring resume unless they've only hired one. The fact that he has enough P5 experience to have hire multiple coaches at multiple schools gives him an edge. He may have some insight on why some were good hires and others were not.

#2032044 - 07/08/18 12:55 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
DrGreydog Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
Does the reputation of Jeff Long open the field of hireable coaches beyond another candidate?

Does this open the door to a Les Miles that otherwise wouldn't consider KU?

#2032046 - 07/08/18 02:39 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: DrGreydog]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: DrGreydog
Does the reputation of Jeff Long open the field of hireable coaches beyond another candidate?

Does this open the door to a Les Miles that otherwise wouldn't consider KU?

Maybe. I assume he already has a short list in his pocket better than anything we've had in recent history.

#2032150 - 07/11/18 10:10 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Josh2408 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana
we gotta have the money to pay a les miles first. I would give Miles or Venables a blank check and full control

#2032221 - 07/14/18 04:35 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: Josh2408]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Josh2408
we gotta have the money to pay a les miles first. I would give Miles or Venables a blank check and full control
Venables has no P5 head coaching experience.

#2032559 - 07/27/18 05:32 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: 58hawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
And he is making more as a D coordinator than we would pay him as head coach.

#2032562 - 07/28/18 07:53 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Offline
gale sayers

#2032563 - 07/28/18 08:05 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track

He hasn't seen what we have, the product Beaty puts on the field, the total idiocy surrounding the game day coaching....and the vast expanses of empty seats. After NSU whips DB, the chatter will be much different.

#2032566 - 07/28/18 11:27 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

I believe he understands the situation but he is not one to act impulsively.... see posters on this site.

#2032569 - 07/28/18 01:47 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
madcapper Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: center of nowhere
Lol no doubt

#2032570 - 07/28/18 01:49 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
While you can make the argument to fire him now, Long likely understands the situation quite well.

You fire him late in the year so no interim coach that shouldn't be a candidate can gain momentum (see Clint Bowen). You fire him at the end of the year because that's when candidates are best able to interview and are open to changing team. You also want players focused on the field and in the classroom rather than worried about a new coach or transferring to a new school.

I don't know that much if anything is gained from firing a guy in September. Seems like more risk than reward, IMO. As an AD, you can still reach out to your ideal candidates even if you haven't canned Beaty. Interview, determine interest level, identify financials, etc. and pull the trigger at the end of the season.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2032571 - 07/28/18 02:35 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: dgless21]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
i'm guessing he's fired after k-state, as k-state did ron prince on the bus ride home after losing to ku. then meachum is given a shot. he looks the part and might just fit the situation. if he wins a few, he's given a short-term, like 3-year, contract which won't get any other viable candidate not currently on staff. if meachum has the aptitude, he's ready for a head job.

#2032572 - 07/28/18 02:37 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I believe he understands the situation but he is not one to act impulsively.... see posters on this site.
Least liked poster continues to get all over posters on a board. Clean up your thinking and people will talk to you again.

This is not a popularity complaint board, we talk Kansas Univ football here.

#2032574 - 07/28/18 02:42 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: madcapper]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: madcapper
Lol no doubt
Said by the "five win" poster. Still waiting for the details on who we are gonna beat in 2018.

#2032575 - 07/28/18 03:41 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Phog Fanatic

Beaty doesn't make it to the conference schedule. That is just a fact. Meachum or Hull will be the interim and a new coach(Miles) will be hired in October.

#2032576 - 07/28/18 04:48 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Least liked poster continues to get all over posters on a board. Clean up your thinking and people will talk to you again.

This is not a popularity complaint board, we talk Kansas Univ football here.

You are such a tool.... but in these rare times at least your politics show some sense.

#2032577 - 07/28/18 05:48 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Living 40 miles from Boulder, CO, has kept me sane in the real world.

But really after 33 losses in three seasons, it isn’t impulsive to say can him sooner than later. HH is on board with getting Petrino which I have mentioned earlier.

#2032578 - 07/28/18 06:08 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

No doubt we need to start winning...and everyone is tired of losing. To me it's sounds like Long will be very deliberate in his developing and making changes in the AD department and in the athletic program. The article emphasized his style of preferring to wait until the end of the season to make coaching changes....that's all I am saying.I just want to start winning in football....but I am not going to have a hissy fit if he waits until the end of the year to change coaches in football. At this point I totally trust his judgement....as if I have any other choice.

Edited by track (07/28/18 06:10 PM)

#2032580 - 07/28/18 06:18 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

But remember Long needs $300 million now. As beena says, the path to that is make a move sooner than later. That’s my opinion, worth very little.

#2032581 - 07/28/18 07:36 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

But remember Long needs $300 million now. As beena says, the path to that is make a move sooner than later. That’s my opinion, worth very little.

I wonder... that 300 million was zengers plan... wouldn’t be surprised if Long downsizes it to half that....and extends the phases a couple of years. No need to be overwhelmed in the beginning... maybe shoot for half that then declare victory and start raising the second half in 5 years or so. Just a thought.

#2032582 - 07/28/18 09:18 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Good thoughts track and very possible

#2032583 - 07/28/18 09:40 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: track]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Phog Fanatic

I wonder... that 300 million was zengers plan... wouldn’t be surprised if Long downsizes it to half that....and extends the phases a couple of years. No need to be overwhelmed in the beginning... maybe shoot for half that then declare victory and start raising the second half in 5 years or so. Just a thought.

Just scrap the whole plan and build a brand new stadium. Nothing they can do would ever make Memorial decent.

#2032584 - 07/28/18 10:33 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

What about realignment? We need to make BIG moves NOW. We kick this can down the road and we are in the MWC still playing ksu, but with a doucheturd like Greg Marshall coaching our hoops team, because a hardwood God like Self will NOT be in a non P5 conference.

#2032585 - 07/29/18 01:58 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Josh2408 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana
So lets say Long waits until the end of the season and fires Beaty what then?? Does that loose him confidence from fans

Edited by Josh2408 (07/29/18 02:00 AM)

#2032586 - 07/29/18 07:10 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
What about realignment? We need to make BIG moves NOW. We kick this can down the road and we are in the MWC still playing ksu, but with a doucheturd like Greg Marshall coaching our hoops team, because a hardwood God like Self will NOT be in a non P5 conference.

We have until 2025 technically to show we have got our house in order. That means winning on the road and winning some conference games every year. Of the two... stadium improvements and being competitive in the conference in football... the second one is far more important in my view in insuring our continuing P5 status.

Edited by track (07/29/18 07:12 AM)

#2032587 - 07/29/18 07:14 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Josh2408
So lets say Long waits until the end of the season and fires Beaty what then?? Does that loose him confidence from fans
You'll probably have a sizeable group pissed he waited so long and will give him a bunch of flack for it, if that were to happen. A good chunk of them, but not all or maybe even a majority of them, will probably lose some faith in him because it also.

You have to assume that if this were to happen that the season would have gone a particular direction. It wouldn't have gone really well where we would make it to a bowl game or even been borderline bowl eligible as I think that would preclude any firing. It also wouldn't have gone to complete crap from the get go either where went 0-12 or 1-11 or even 2-10 with a bunch of blow outs as that would most likely result in a firing during the season. So, it would be safe to assume we'd have had a record in the range of 2-10 (with only a couple of blowouts) to 4-8(but still with some troubling signs of disorganization, lack of discipline, too many blowouts, etc.) or so for this scenario to play out.

If we had such a record then I'd think the level of confidence in Long by the fans would sway back and forth quite a bit from week to week depending upon that particular week's results with his perceived inaction. Things would be quite chaotic among the fanbase, just like they've been for about a year or year and a half now.

#2032588 - 07/29/18 08:13 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas

I agree on not kicking any of this down the road anymore (what, it's been kicked down the road for about 10 years now?) as well as our hoops program taking a major step backwards if we somehow find ourselves on the outside looking in, in regards to being in a P-5 conference or not, but I don't think any potential realignment that happens over the next 5 to 7 years or so is gonna go down like a lot of people think it is. With Comcast dropping the Big 10 network from its primary packages outside of Big 10 states and now saying it's going to do the same within Big 10 states come this fall things are changing. The latter part may just be public sabre rattling for negotiations but word I've heard (mostly 3rd and even 4th person by the time it gets to me) is that in several states within the Big 10's footprint the Big 10 network is getting paltry viewership. Either way, this move by Comcast is going to take a significant bite out of the Big 10 network's revenue even if they don't drop it within the Big 10's footprint.

This is important for any realignment because money is what has been driving realignment and that money has been coming from TV networks. In turn that's what's been driving the expansion of the Big 10 and SEC. A good chunk of that money was from greatly increased user fees within the conference footprint for conference networks. That's the only reason why schools like Rutgers, Maryland, and mizzery were invited to join those conferences as well as why Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt were invited to the ACC, and Colorado and Utah were invited to the PAC. It's also a very large reason why schools like Nebraska and even aTm were invited to the Big 10 and SEC. Now that it appears that conference network money has been over capitalized and now is drying up that incentive to expand or realign in the same ways is drying up also. That's going to change things quite a bit IMO. There's not going to be the same drive to expand as there has been, or at least not the motivation to expand by adding middle of the road and low level type P-5 schools in high population states merely because they're in high population states.

Who knows, there might even be some reduction in conferences if some of these schools aren't increasing their conference's tier 1 and tier 2 deals enough to offset them no longer bringing in any extra conference network monies. It also put's the Big 12 in a more stable position than it has been because of each school independently owning their own tier 3 rights as the conference network model doesn't look like the cash cow it has been going forward.

It can be argued whether all of this is enough to keep the Big 10 and SEC from looking to expand anymore or if it'll be enough to prevent any more potential upheaval or even a collapse of the Big 12, but it'll definitely play a major role in all of that IMHO.

#2032593 - 07/29/18 09:19 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It will be interesting. The revenue just isn't there anymore. Very few are paying for cable these days. I don't know if this helps, or hurts the Truckstop Ten boring non rivalry conference or not.

If the revenue dries up enough, maybe we could get back a certain three schools who left and actually have a conference that people care about again?

#2032596 - 07/30/18 10:01 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
If the revenue dries up enough, maybe we could get back a certain three schools who left and actually have a conference that people care about again?

I care about it. I care about it a bunch.

#2032597 - 07/30/18 11:31 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Offline
gale sayers

The revenue is out there... it is just changing form. As nationwide gambling becomes a reality the demand for live sporting events will increase. It maybe amazon or hula or Netflix or YouTube that steps in to fill the void or it maybe network tv with advertising that fills the void or it maybe a combination but make no mistake the system will find a way to generate money from that demand.

An added caveat to college football’s future, parents are preventing their kids from playing football due to head injury issues. Basketball popularity is growing while the NFL has been losing fans. Basketball is global... NFL football 🏈 is not. The future of football is in question not the case with basketball. This all bodes well for KU in the long term future as basketball popularity grows and football wains.

Edited by track (07/30/18 11:58 AM)

#2032601 - 07/30/18 04:47 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The revenue is out there... it is just changing form. As nationwide gambling becomes a reality the demand for live sporting events will increase. It maybe amazon or hula or Netflix or YouTube that steps in to fill the void or it maybe network tv with advertising that fills the void or it maybe a combination but make no mistake the system will find a way to generate money from that demand.

An added caveat to college football’s future, parents are preventing their kids from playing football due to head injury issues. Basketball popularity is growing while the NFL has been losing fans. Basketball is global... NFL football 🏈 is not. The future of football is in question not the case with basketball. This all bodes well for KU in the long term future as basketball popularity grows and football wains.

All good points.............but being old school, I'd like to see the bubble BURST and get costs back down to some kind of normal level. Coaches and AD's make WAY, WAY, WAY too much for what they provide and TV and media is what drove those numbers to the stratosphere to begin with. You also assume KU will remain relevant in hoops forever....that's not a certainty by any stretch.

These "kids" are supposed to be "student athletes".....I'd say that title should have been stripped somewhere around 1995, at the latest. College hoops and football are simply the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. Could that be fixed? Sure but it would require institutions of higher learning to actually prod the NCAA into action. That won't happen because the heads of these schools are hypocrites of the first order and slaves to the God Almighty Dollar!

#2032602 - 07/30/18 04:52 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: EstebanBugatti]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti

Just scrap the whole plan and build a brand new stadium. Nothing they can do would ever make Memorial decent.

Why spend ANY money on a place used only SIX Saturday's each fall? In our case, six Saturday's where the average crowd is running around 15k at best. Football stadiums, at the P5 and NFL levels are a HUGE waste of public and private funding. For God's sake, how nice does a place need to be when you only have to spend 3 or 4 hours there six times a year?

#2032603 - 07/30/18 04:56 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

We are all slaves to the dollar... even our churches.
I don’t see that changing any time soon.

#2032608 - 07/30/18 08:10 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

We are all slaves to the dollar... even our churches.
I don’t see that changing any time soon.
I’m not that cynical especially about religion.

#2032613 - 07/31/18 05:18 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

While I am counting down the hours until AD Long is on board, his first job will be to right the sinking ship (football). His predecessor left him a sonny boy in charge of a man’s program. Get Beaty out sooner than later. DB can’t even conduct a proper Spring game. Or use proper discipline when players revolt or drive around DUI. How about his revolving door on coaches and QB’s?

Mr Beaty won’t be playing hackysack with the student body before game one. Likely looking for the perfect lawyer to negotiate his golden parachute firing.

#2033302 - 09/06/18 10:57 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: Maximus]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Maximus
http://m.kusports.com/news/2018/jul/05/tom-keegan-next-football-hire-will-determine-new-a/

No problems if Jeff Long offered Les Miles the KU football coach positions. Boosters would be wise to donate for changing KU football around.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...-job/906009001/

Lee Miles watch is on.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview