Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2032580 - 07/28/18 06:18 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
But remember Long needs $300 million now. As beena says, the path to that is make a move sooner than later. That’s my opinion, worth very little.

#2032581 - 07/28/18 07:36 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
But remember Long needs $300 million now. As beena says, the path to that is make a move sooner than later. That’s my opinion, worth very little.

I wonder... that 300 million was zengers plan... wouldn’t be surprised if Long downsizes it to half that....and extends the phases a couple of years. No need to be overwhelmed in the beginning... maybe shoot for half that then declare victory and start raising the second half in 5 years or so. Just a thought.

#2032582 - 07/28/18 09:18 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Good thoughts track and very possible

#2032583 - 07/28/18 09:40 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: track]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: track

I wonder... that 300 million was zengers plan... wouldn’t be surprised if Long downsizes it to half that....and extends the phases a couple of years. No need to be overwhelmed in the beginning... maybe shoot for half that then declare victory and start raising the second half in 5 years or so. Just a thought.

Just scrap the whole plan and build a brand new stadium. Nothing they can do would ever make Memorial decent.

#2032584 - 07/28/18 10:33 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
What about realignment? We need to make BIG moves NOW. We kick this can down the road and we are in the MWC still playing ksu, but with a doucheturd like Greg Marshall coaching our hoops team, because a hardwood God like Self will NOT be in a non P5 conference.

#2032585 - 07/29/18 01:58 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Josh2408 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Indiana
So lets say Long waits until the end of the season and fires Beaty what then?? Does that loose him confidence from fans

Edited by Josh2408 (07/29/18 02:00 AM)

#2032586 - 07/29/18 07:10 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
What about realignment? We need to make BIG moves NOW. We kick this can down the road and we are in the MWC still playing ksu, but with a doucheturd like Greg Marshall coaching our hoops team, because a hardwood God like Self will NOT be in a non P5 conference.

We have until 2025 technically to show we have got our house in order. That means winning on the road and winning some conference games every year. Of the two... stadium improvements and being competitive in the conference in football... the second one is far more important in my view in insuring our continuing P5 status.

Edited by track (07/29/18 07:12 AM)

#2032587 - 07/29/18 07:14 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Josh2408
So lets say Long waits until the end of the season and fires Beaty what then?? Does that loose him confidence from fans
You'll probably have a sizeable group pissed he waited so long and will give him a bunch of flack for it, if that were to happen. A good chunk of them, but not all or maybe even a majority of them, will probably lose some faith in him because it also.

You have to assume that if this were to happen that the season would have gone a particular direction. It wouldn't have gone really well where we would make it to a bowl game or even been borderline bowl eligible as I think that would preclude any firing. It also wouldn't have gone to complete crap from the get go either where went 0-12 or 1-11 or even 2-10 with a bunch of blow outs as that would most likely result in a firing during the season. So, it would be safe to assume we'd have had a record in the range of 2-10 (with only a couple of blowouts) to 4-8(but still with some troubling signs of disorganization, lack of discipline, too many blowouts, etc.) or so for this scenario to play out.

If we had such a record then I'd think the level of confidence in Long by the fans would sway back and forth quite a bit from week to week depending upon that particular week's results with his perceived inaction. Things would be quite chaotic among the fanbase, just like they've been for about a year or year and a half now.

#2032588 - 07/29/18 08:13 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas

I agree on not kicking any of this down the road anymore (what, it's been kicked down the road for about 10 years now?) as well as our hoops program taking a major step backwards if we somehow find ourselves on the outside looking in, in regards to being in a P-5 conference or not, but I don't think any potential realignment that happens over the next 5 to 7 years or so is gonna go down like a lot of people think it is. With Comcast dropping the Big 10 network from its primary packages outside of Big 10 states and now saying it's going to do the same within Big 10 states come this fall things are changing. The latter part may just be public sabre rattling for negotiations but word I've heard (mostly 3rd and even 4th person by the time it gets to me) is that in several states within the Big 10's footprint the Big 10 network is getting paltry viewership. Either way, this move by Comcast is going to take a significant bite out of the Big 10 network's revenue even if they don't drop it within the Big 10's footprint.

This is important for any realignment because money is what has been driving realignment and that money has been coming from TV networks. In turn that's what's been driving the expansion of the Big 10 and SEC. A good chunk of that money was from greatly increased user fees within the conference footprint for conference networks. That's the only reason why schools like Rutgers, Maryland, and mizzery were invited to join those conferences as well as why Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt were invited to the ACC, and Colorado and Utah were invited to the PAC. It's also a very large reason why schools like Nebraska and even aTm were invited to the Big 10 and SEC. Now that it appears that conference network money has been over capitalized and now is drying up that incentive to expand or realign in the same ways is drying up also. That's going to change things quite a bit IMO. There's not going to be the same drive to expand as there has been, or at least not the motivation to expand by adding middle of the road and low level type P-5 schools in high population states merely because they're in high population states.

Who knows, there might even be some reduction in conferences if some of these schools aren't increasing their conference's tier 1 and tier 2 deals enough to offset them no longer bringing in any extra conference network monies. It also put's the Big 12 in a more stable position than it has been because of each school independently owning their own tier 3 rights as the conference network model doesn't look like the cash cow it has been going forward.

It can be argued whether all of this is enough to keep the Big 10 and SEC from looking to expand anymore or if it'll be enough to prevent any more potential upheaval or even a collapse of the Big 12, but it'll definitely play a major role in all of that IMHO.

#2032593 - 07/29/18 09:19 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
It will be interesting. The revenue just isn't there anymore. Very few are paying for cable these days. I don't know if this helps, or hurts the Truckstop Ten boring non rivalry conference or not.

If the revenue dries up enough, maybe we could get back a certain three schools who left and actually have a conference that people care about again?

#2032596 - 07/30/18 10:01 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
If the revenue dries up enough, maybe we could get back a certain three schools who left and actually have a conference that people care about again?

I care about it. I care about it a bunch.

#2032597 - 07/30/18 11:31 AM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Offline
gale sayers

The revenue is out there... it is just changing form. As nationwide gambling becomes a reality the demand for live sporting events will increase. It maybe amazon or hula or Netflix or YouTube that steps in to fill the void or it maybe network tv with advertising that fills the void or it maybe a combination but make no mistake the system will find a way to generate money from that demand.

An added caveat to college football’s future, parents are preventing their kids from playing football due to head injury issues. Basketball popularity is growing while the NFL has been losing fans. Basketball is global... NFL football 🏈 is not. The future of football is in question not the case with basketball. This all bodes well for KU in the long term future as basketball popularity grows and football wains.

Edited by track (07/30/18 11:58 AM)

#2032601 - 07/30/18 04:47 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
The revenue is out there... it is just changing form. As nationwide gambling becomes a reality the demand for live sporting events will increase. It maybe amazon or hula or Netflix or YouTube that steps in to fill the void or it maybe network tv with advertising that fills the void or it maybe a combination but make no mistake the system will find a way to generate money from that demand.

An added caveat to college football’s future, parents are preventing their kids from playing football due to head injury issues. Basketball popularity is growing while the NFL has been losing fans. Basketball is global... NFL football 🏈 is not. The future of football is in question not the case with basketball. This all bodes well for KU in the long term future as basketball popularity grows and football wains.

All good points.............but being old school, I'd like to see the bubble BURST and get costs back down to some kind of normal level. Coaches and AD's make WAY, WAY, WAY too much for what they provide and TV and media is what drove those numbers to the stratosphere to begin with. You also assume KU will remain relevant in hoops forever....that's not a certainty by any stretch.

These "kids" are supposed to be "student athletes".....I'd say that title should have been stripped somewhere around 1995, at the latest. College hoops and football are simply the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. Could that be fixed? Sure but it would require institutions of higher learning to actually prod the NCAA into action. That won't happen because the heads of these schools are hypocrites of the first order and slaves to the God Almighty Dollar!

#2032602 - 07/30/18 04:52 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: EstebanBugatti]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti

Just scrap the whole plan and build a brand new stadium. Nothing they can do would ever make Memorial decent.

Why spend ANY money on a place used only SIX Saturday's each fall? In our case, six Saturday's where the average crowd is running around 15k at best. Football stadiums, at the P5 and NFL levels are a HUGE waste of public and private funding. For God's sake, how nice does a place need to be when you only have to spend 3 or 4 hours there six times a year?

#2032603 - 07/30/18 04:56 PM Re: Jeff Long KU AD on Aug 1st [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

We are all slaves to the dollar... even our churches.
I don’t see that changing any time soon.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview