Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2031211 - 06/01/18 01:46 PM big 12 revenue up again should help ku
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn

Jake Trotter
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Big 12 Conference will distribute a record $364.9 million to its 10 institutions for the fiscal year, commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced Friday at the conclusion of league meetings.

That amounts to $36.5 million per school, likely placing the Big 12 third among the Power 5 conferences, behind the SEC and Big Ten but ahead of the Pac-12 and ACC.

Unlike the other leagues, which include Tier 3 revenue from conference networks in their distribution figures, the Big 12's distribution numbers do not include Tier 3 revenue. The Longhorn Network, which is owned by ESPN, pays Texas an additional $15 million per year on average. Oklahoma nets roughly $5 million from its Tier 3 agreements with Fox.

The 6.4 percent increase from last year was boosted by the return of the Big 12 title game, which Bowlsby said gave the league an additional $30 million in revenue. That helped offset the Big 12's one-year loss of the Sugar Bowl, which was part of the College Football Playoff last season. When the Sugar Bowl is not part of the playoff, the Big 12, along with the SEC, has an agreement with the bowl that pays the conference roughly $40 million.

#2031213 - 06/01/18 02:57 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
It should help you as well, unless you don't need it...

#2031215 - 06/01/18 07:26 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: 58hawk]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

But didn't KAI post a multimillion dollar loss last year? I guess this will get them into the black so they pay a few hundred bucks in taxes.

#2031222 - 06/02/18 11:32 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: 58hawk]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
It should help you as well, unless you don't need it...

a rising tide lifts all boats, they say. a.d. is busy spending coin on baseball and soccer complexes now. wish they'd finish stoning-up the east side of the family stadium. it's only $20 million or so to complete.

#2031230 - 06/02/18 05:58 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

oh wait, I'm sure KAI is registered as a C Corp so they can put those losses forward, so I answered my own question; no they won't pay any taxes for the foreseeable future no matter what the P & L says

#2031235 - 06/03/18 10:54 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Jman1]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

nonprofits are tax exempt sans payroll.

#2031242 - 06/04/18 08:03 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: tmcats

KAI has the ultmate "Non-Profit" program in the world.......it's called KU Football.

#2031245 - 06/04/18 09:49 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: beenahawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

KAI has the ultmate "Non-Profit" program in the world.......it's called KU Football.
lol

#2031252 - 06/04/18 03:59 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO

Its real profitable for the former and current football ADs And HCs.!.!

#2031341 - 06/07/18 08:57 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Won't matter when either OU or Tejas jumps in the next five years. Anyone who thinks the Truckstop Ten is going to exist in five years is chasing fool's gold.

Letting three of the original six leave was the deathbell.

RCJHKU!

#2031342 - 06/07/18 10:17 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: KUHawkhead]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
Won't matter when either OU or Tejas jumps in the next five years. Anyone who thinks the Truckstop Ten is going to exist in five years is chasing fool's gold.

RCJHKU!

yeah, you bill walton wannabees were writing that b.s. five years ago. it's rolling contract, i guess. every five years it's five years coming.

#2031379 - 06/11/18 12:51 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita

RCJHKU!

yeah, you bill walton wannabees were writing that b.s. five years ago. it's rolling contract, i guess. every five years it's five years coming.

The grant of rights agreement ends June of 2025. Talks have failed to renew it and it doesn't sound like the schools are coming back to revisit it. Texas killed the Southwestern Conference, and they are well on the way killing the Big XII. A couple years before the agreement ends I am guessing that there will be rumblings of school movement, probably coinciding with the expiration of the Big 10 agreement.

The conference screwed the poch when Louisville went to the ACC. That would have been a perfect fit. Add a Cincinnati as well, andthat would have solidified the conference.

No one other than you Timmy thinks the Big XII is anything more than a temporary fix. I wish it was. I wish the four schools that left were still in the conference, especially MU and NU. However the reality is the Big XII is not going to be around in the long run.

#2031383 - 06/11/18 11:51 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: moose1]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

has the pac12 or acc renewed their gor's? i mean their financials are below the big 12's. only you believe the big12 is ultimately dead. well, you and the other missouri-lite wannabees who would rather be someplace else. i admit the big east would probably be a better place for ku basketball.

#2031384 - 06/11/18 01:04 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
You should probably just focus on Bluemont's future C-USA conference rival, North Texas. Easy flights from MLK to DFW.

#2031387 - 06/11/18 02:34 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think KSU is more of an AAC type of team. Imagine those kids getting to leave the state and go to the East coast and Tulsa? That would be awesome for them! The WSU/KSU basketball series will be a thing of beauty!

RCJHKU!

#2031406 - 06/12/18 04:01 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land

#2031416 - 06/12/18 09:43 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

So Timmy you really see the Big XII as a viable option? I think most pundits out there think it only a matter of time until it folds. I am kind of ambivalent to it. If it stays great, but if it goes that is fine too. It just is not the same conference it was.

I know why you are so pissed about the possibility of the Big XII folding. It's because if it did KSU would probably not land in a major conference. I don't blame you I would be mad too. Don't worry it will workout for KSU in the Mountain West. It would probably be a good fit.

#2031428 - 06/13/18 11:03 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: moose1]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

moose, i believe k-state, isu, oSu, TxT, the two christians, and probably wvu would all be at risk. by exception/definition, the others would be fine if the league somehow fell apart.

but there's no evidence that's going to happen. usa today had a piece about the travails of the pac12 today. so, why the focus here on this league - fan nonsense?

it's irrational to me that a case can be made for the big12 desolving. far more likely that something happens to the pac12, either the arizona schools leave for this league or there's an alliance between the conferences.

THE BUDGET DOCUMENTS Washington State released last week paint a sobering financial picture for the Pac-12 conference as a whole. The Pac-12 is projected to fall far behind other Power 5 conferences over the next five years in revenue sharing, USA Today reports.

According to the documents provided by WSU and confirmed by school officials, the Pac-12 won’t reach $38 million in payout per school until 2023, reports the newspaper. The Big Ten – this year -- is expected to provide $51 million to its schools. Even the Atlantic Coast Conference, after previously ranking last in school payouts among the Power 5, is projected to surpass $40 million per school soon, the newspaper notes.

my old bud, kirk, is worried

#2031430 - 06/13/18 12:42 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
MICHHAWK Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
As of right now, I do agree that the BIG 12 dies with the current GOR. Our leadership has given me no reason to believe otherwise.

But I am not happy about it. I love the BIG 8/12. It is all I know. It is all I care about. KANSAS a member of any other conference is a huge downer for me.

Maybe things change. I hope so. But I am not going to count on it.

#2031436 - 06/13/18 01:39 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: MICHHAWK]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
As of right now, I do agree that the BIG 12 dies with the current GOR. Our leadership has given me no reason to believe otherwise.

But I am not happy about it. I love the BIG 8/12. It is all I know. It is all I care about. KANSAS a member of any other conference is a huge downer for me.

Maybe things change. I hope so. But I am not going to count on it.

I tend to agree with you, and if we could go back to the Big XII the way it was. That was ideal. Now that half the teams from the north are gone I don't have that same feeling for the conference. Especially losing Missouri. I hate them, but it was so much fun playing them.

#2031438 - 06/13/18 02:09 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: moose1]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
I tend to agree with you, and if we could go back to the Big XII the way it was. That was ideal.

I don't need to go back. I am content with the conference the way it is right now. The conference the way it is right now is preferable(for me anyways) to any other power 5.

But again, I am not confident our leadership can/will keep this together.

#2031446 - 06/14/18 07:27 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I haven't looked up the specific numbers in a while, but the last numbers I saw had the Big 10 distributing roughly $37 million per school this past year(2017-2018) and a projection of possibly $50 million per school this up coming year(2018-2019) with their new contract in affect.

SEC doesn't usually announce their numbers for the latest year until September because I believe their fiscal year is different than the rest of the conferences and doesn't end until Sep. 1 or so. The last numbers I recall seeing for them was about $40 million per school from the 2016-2017 year and a projection of about $41-$43 million per school this past year.

The PAC-12 latest distribution was $30.5 million per school and the ACC's latest distribution was $26.7 million per school. While the Big 12's latest distribution was $36.5 million so quite a bit ahead of both the PAC-12 and ACC still.

The last projections for next year (2018-2019 which runs from about July 1 through June 31 for most) I heard were the Big 12 at about $40 million per school, the PAC-12 at about $32.5 million per school, the ACC at about $34 million per school (assuming a $5 million per school boost for their network), the SEC at about $44 million per school, and the Big 10 at the $50 million per school mark.

Again, as I recall the ACC's network deal isn't supposed to be anywhere near the financial boost the Big 10 or SEC networks are, but rather in between the abysmal PAC-12 network and those other 2. The most common number I heard being thrown around was about $7 million per school per year when it's fully up and running. They will get a bump up for the 2018 fiscal year as it launches.

Assuming all of those projections are true here's how the last 2 years and the upcoming year look from a distribution standpoint:

(in millions)
1. SEC $40.4
2. Big 10 $34.8
3. Big 12 $28.9
4. PAC-12 $28.7
5. ACC $23.8

1. SEC $41 (announced*)
2. Big 10 $37.1
3. Big 12 $36.5**
4. PAC-12 $30.5
5. ACC $26.7

(current projections)
1. Big 10 - $50-$51 million per school
2. SEC - $43-$44 million per school
3. Big 12 - $40 million per school
4. ACC - $34.3 million per school (includes +$5 mil bump for network***)
5. PAC-12 - $32.7 million per school

*SEC announced this projected payout but won't announce the actual until September.

** Some claim the Big 12's actual average distribution per school was $34.5 million but the official numbers seem to indicate the $36.5 million per school is accurate.

**Some ACC ADs are claiming a total projected bump of $10 to $15 million per year from their new conference network by 2019, but last I read many industry (TV) analysts projected a still impressive but more modest $7 to $8 million per year bump, so I gave them a $5 million additional bump for 2018 for it's first year in operation.

As you can easily see things fluctuate depending on who got the newest contract, but generally the overall ranking in conference per school payout has remained steady. The ACC looks to be leap frogging the PAC-12 in the near future and come a lot closer to the Big 12 than it has been, but still behind the Big 12 though.

Also, the Big 12's payout is the only conference per school payout that does NOT include tier 3 rights, so you have to take that into consideration when looking at these numbers. A rough estimate done by a journalist lately (can't recall the exact paper I read it in, but think it was either USAToday or Tulsa World) that KU gets an extra $5.5 million on top of our distribution because of that, OU gets an extra $6 million and Texas gets an extra $10 million.

That would put KU at $35.4 million in 2016 right between the SEC and Big 10, $42 million in 2017 just ahead of the SEC and ahead of all power 5 conferences, and at $45.5 million this coming year which is projected to put us right between the Big 10 and SEC again.

In short, Texas, OU, and KU are making out very well and just about as good as or better than virtually every other P5 school in the country and as money, not the quality of a football team's season or reputation or history, but purely money has been driving conference realignment I don't see the money driving the Big 12 to implode. Rather, it looks like the money(virtually all TV network money) has a vested interest in the Big 12 surviving. That's not my personal opinion of what I think should happen, but rather just my observation of the network TV money driving this thing.

Yeah, there's probably going to be a ton of speculation and complaining from school AD's, fanbases, and journalists over the next few years. A lot of people are frustrated, disappointed and flat out angry about how this conference has evolved or devolved over the past 6 years or so and a lot of that will bubble back up to the surface as the Big 12's current TV contracts come up for renewal but I don't think the TV network people want it to dissolve and will pay up enough to keep it going as I think they believe they'll lose money(from losing the formerly P5 schools with decent sized fanbases) and end up paying more(because of renegotiation or escalator clauses in current P5 deals with other conferences by new schools joining) if they let it implode.

Personally, I'd love to get Colorado and Nebraska back and maybe even aTm, but don't give 2 sh|its about the mootards. Hate em back in the day and still hate em now, but don't care if they're in our conference anymore and don't really miss playing them either. I'd also like it if Baylor was sent packing and Iowa or Arkansas was added in their place, or if Baylor and even TCU were dropped in favor of the 2 Arizona schools. Even just adding the 2 Arizona schools wouldn't be too bad IMHO. This last scenario may be the only one with a shot in hell of ever happening though. Those are my personal preferences as I don't like the idea of joining the SEC or even the Big 10 really. Especially if we'd join without a group of at least 3 of our current conference foes also joining.

I just really prefer being in a conference located primarily in the central part of the country and not in the SE or upper Mid-west and NE parts.

#2031450 - 06/14/18 11:02 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

nice recap, kman. why did a.d. lew perkins not go after a big 10 slot if it was such a great deal for ku like so many jayhawk fans claim? any recollection? he came out in favor of this league staying together at the time it was in so much turmoil as nebraska and others bolted.

#2031451 - 06/14/18 11:37 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm a fan. Not a beancounter. So I approach this $#!t as a fan. As a fan I want to stay in a healthy BIG 12. I don't care if the big10 or sec pays more.

I'm a fan.

#2031459 - 06/14/18 01:35 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: MICHHAWK]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
I'm a fan. Not a beancounter. So I approach this $#!t as a fan. As a fan I want to stay in a healthy BIG 12. I don't care if the big10 or sec pays more.

I'm a fan.
A fan!? Well, nobody gives a hot damn about you then! LOL

That's been how some of these schools have treated big chunks of their "fans" at least in all of this recent realignment crap.

It's been a lot more like this!

#2031462 - 06/14/18 04:32 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Big12/8 will survive in conference form. It IS all about the money. Former AD underperformed but I have a feeling about the next hire cranking up the football revenue machine. Feelin it

#2031466 - 06/14/18 05:36 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Personally, I KNOW the Big XII in it's current forms truly sucks balls as far as rivalries and excitement go, but we have shown it is truly only about one thing and one thing only, MONEY. Losing NU, CU, and Meth were death blows to this conference. Not in actual survival, but in excitement. The only true rivalry is Tejas and OU, and seeing how Tejas can't figure out that there is no reason they shouldn't be winning 10 games consistently and been in a position for a legit national title run every 3-5 years, keeps the conference from being anything other than a revenue pounder.

It may survive, it may not, once the contracts are up for negotiation. Very, very few people are paying for cable, that is a fact, and it will make the next round of contracts smaller than they have been in the past.

I would honestly welcome a jump to the B1G, as I feel it would truly be a good fit for the Jayhawks. It's. traditional research conference that doesn't go over the top for coaches and staff pay, which makes some think of it as boring, but if we're not going to improve the turd product that the Big XII rolls out every season, I can't really say I would miss this conference that much.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject. As we always say, the proof is in the pudding.

RCJHKU!

#2031467 - 06/14/18 06:01 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Really the biggest driver of whether the conference survives or not depends on what Texas does. Do they get greedy, and bolt for another conference? Do they piss all the other schools off with their demands? If Texas wants the Big XII to survive it will, if not it won't

#2031470 - 06/14/18 07:55 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree Texas could blow this conference up if it wanted to, but what's the benefit to Texas to purposely do that? I say purposely, because they just about did that accidentally already. They give up their extra $10 million a year for the Longhorn Network and likely take a significant loss in total revenue by bolting.

#2031471 - 06/14/18 11:17 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Bingo KMan. Tejas will NOT find another conference that will give everything in return for nothing the way the Big XII did.

RCJHKU!

#2031506 - 06/15/18 11:48 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: KUHawkhead]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Personally, I KNOW the Big XII in it's current forms truly sucks balls as far as rivalries and excitement go, but we have shown it is truly only about one thing and one thing only, MONEY. Losing NU, CU, and Meth were death blows to this conference. Not in actual survival, but in excitement. The only true rivalry is Tejas and OU, and seeing how Tejas can't figure out that there is no reason they shouldn't be winning 10 games consistently and been in a position for a legit national title run every 3-5 years, keeps the conference from being anything other than a revenue pounder.

RCJHKU!

sometimes you guys write stuff so irrational i believe you're inebriated when writing it.

so, oSu/OU isn't a true rivalry. or k-state/ku is a meaningless little game. farmageddon. or baylor/tcu doesn't matter. i mean it only dates to 1899. or texas/TxT is nothing important to those fan bases. like ku/cu was somehow a great showdown? or how about that grand series with unl?

my gosh. maybe it's because ku is a one sport school that makes it seem that way for you. clueless indeed.

#2031517 - 06/15/18 03:32 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

RCJHKU!

sometimes you guys write stuff so irrational i believe you're inebriated when writing it.

so, oSu/OU isn't a true rivalry. or k-state/ku is a meaningless little game. farmageddon. or baylor/tcu doesn't matter. i mean it only dates to 1899. or texas/TxT is nothing important to those fan bases. like ku/cu was somehow a great showdown? or how about that grand series with unl?

my gosh. maybe it's because ku is a one sport school that makes it seem that way for you. clueless indeed.

The Bevo/Sooner game was going along well before the conference was formed, but the OU/Bugeater game is sorely missed IMHO. T Tech isn't the Aggies nor is Zero State the Nubs. We have our rivalry, if one can actually call it that anymore, with the Litterbox, but! EVERY true Jayhawk lived for the Misery games.....many a grid season was salvaged by this "one sport school", by beating the Mootards.

Also, don't forget the reason the Huskers left.....it wasn't JUST the issue with the Bevos. it was getting the worst drubbing in school history planted on them by a team they had owned for almost 40 years...those 67 points will forever haunt the Blackshirts!

#2031518 - 06/15/18 03:36 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: beenahawk]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think it was 76 Beena, but I could be wrong. I have been once before

#2031519 - 06/15/18 04:00 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: beenahawk]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

been, my point is there are many great rivalries in this league. there's not a conference game i don't look forward to watching, not a single one. much more so for this conference than nebraska v. illiinois or missouri/florida or aTm/tennesee or cu/zona.

#2031520 - 06/15/18 04:14 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Jman1]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

[quote=Jman1]I think it was 76 Beena, but I could be wrong. I have been once before [/quote

Correct you are....I have fat fingers when typing! 11 straight possessions resulting in TD's!

#2031521 - 06/15/18 04:17 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

been, my point is there are many great rivalries in this league. there's not a conference game i don't look forward to watching, not a single one. much more so for this conference than nebraska v. illiinois or missouri/florida or aTm/tennesee or cu/zona.

That's because there is ZERO history. Anything with a semblance of history can be called a rivalry. But as far as I am concerned, NOTHING topped the Border WAR...even the annual Sooner/Husker contests.

#2031525 - 06/15/18 05:33 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

tmcats seems to think that the KSU/KU is more of a rivalry then the Border War...But that's all part of the inferiority complex that the purple has towards KU.

#2031526 - 06/15/18 05:44 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: 58hawk]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

tmcats seems to think that the KSU/KU is more of a rivalry then the Border War...But that's all part of the inferiority complex that the purple has towards KU.

i've never ever said that about the b'war and how great it was to both schools. but it's typical of weak-kneed program fans like you to make absurd straw man arguments like this one to the contrary.

ku is k-state's rival. there's no one emaws loathe more. and ku pretentiousness to deny state is a primary rival only adds to the reality. i get that need, laughable as it is.

#2031537 - 06/16/18 12:50 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

i've never ever said that about the b'war and how great it was to both schools. but it's typical of weak-kneed program fans like you to make absurd straw man arguments like this one to the contrary.

ku is k-state's rival. there's no one emaws loathe more. and ku pretentiousness to deny state is a primary rival only adds to the reality. i get that need, laughable as it is.

It is a rivalry, but not a primary one. I am not sure KU has a primary rival now that MU is gone. KSU is rivals just because of proximity. Lets face it we will hear it if KU loses to KSU. With that said, KSU cares 10 times more than KU does. KSU is seen as an annoyance like the little brother that one leave big brother alone. KU fans don't hate or loathe KSU. It just does not mean nearly as much at least to me, it doesn't, and a number of fans I talk with feel the same way.

Part of the problem is it is not really close in the major sports. We know KSU is going to kill KU in football. The same is true in basketball. KU wins almost every game. The nail is not the hammer's rival.

#2031548 - 06/16/18 04:34 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: moose1]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas

It is a rivalry, but not a primary one. I am not sure KU has a primary rival now that MU is gone. KSU is rivals just because of proximity. Lets face it we will hear it if KU loses to KSU. With that said, KSU cares 10 times more than KU does. KSU is seen as an annoyance like the little brother that one leave big brother alone. KU fans don't hate or loathe KSU. It just does not mean nearly as much at least to me, it doesn't, and a number of fans I talk with feel the same way.

Part of the problem is it is not really close in the major sports. We know KSU is going to kill KU in football. The same is true in basketball. KU wins almost every game. The nail is not the hammer's rival.

There is also the “hate ” factor. Ku fans don’t hate KSU... most of us have family members and friends that attended KSU. It’s just not a big rivalry for us. It’s nothing like the old MU rivalry. I basically hate most Missouri fans and the entire state.

Edited by track (06/16/18 04:38 PM)

#2031554 - 06/17/18 12:52 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Exactly. I have a lot of KSU friends, they are good people and they actually support KU when KSU is not playing them. I have one friend that likes to needle me talking about how bad KU is, and doing it in a passive aggressive way. Other than that they are all cool. If KU wins I don't rub it in. I don't say anything at all.

#2031555 - 06/17/18 06:24 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: moose1]
track Offline
gale sayers

Exactly. I have a lot of KSU friends, they are good people and they actually support KU when KSU is not playing them. I have one friend that likes to needle me talking about how bad KU is, and doing it in a passive aggressive way. Other than that they are all cool. If KU wins I don't rub it in. I don't say anything at all.

I go one step beyond that. I have two daughters... one went to KSU and one to KU. I liked frank Martin and how his team played. Bill Snyder is a class act.... I wish we had hired him. On the other hand listening to a Pinkel interview on the radio was like finger nails on a chalkboard. It’s a [censored] state.. especially out in the boonies... western Kansas people are solid... even if politically misguided.

#2031560 - 06/17/18 11:10 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: track]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

similar subject playing on a k-state board today. here below is a typical response. i don't believe k-state fans root for ku. if so, it's truly by exception to the rule.

pretty simple really:

1. root for KSU
2. root for other Big XII teams not named KU in their games when not playing KSU (state schools get preference)
3. no one else left? *vuurrppp* hope KU wins.

but only as a last resort. and not actively ROOTING for those arrogant B-tards.

#2031562 - 06/17/18 01:00 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
track Offline
gale sayers

You hate us and we reserve our hate for MU. We don’t believe in wasting energy on cowturds like you. You are for the most part like a little sister... just annoying.

#2031606 - 06/18/18 12:19 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Also, don't forget the reason the Huskers left.....it wasn't JUST the issue with the Bevos. it was getting the worst drubbing in school history planted on them by a team they had owned for almost 40 years...those 67 points will forever haunt the Blackshirts!
I also heard from some Nebraska people at the time their AD, good ole Dr. Osborne, and others in their athletic department were against the move but were overridden by their Chancellor and President at the time.

No idea how the average corn fan feels about things now as I've lost touch with the few I used to know. I do know that the amount of coverage and mention they receive in KC media has gone down to just about zero since then though. I'd say Wichita St. gets more coverage in the KC media now than they do.

#2031608 - 06/18/18 12:28 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

nice recap, kman. why did a.d. lew perkins not go after a big 10 slot if it was such a great deal for ku like so many jayhawk fans claim? any recollection? he came out in favor of this league staying together at the time it was in so much turmoil as nebraska and others bolted.
Big 10 has sent out feelers to KU off and on for nearly 20 years now, but obviously nothing has happened. At the time the Big 10 commissioner was lobbying for KU to get an invite but Indiana, and Illinois and I believe 1 other school were pushing back hard against it at the time. I think they saw KU as a threat to their school's potential sports competitiveness and success, especially in basketball of course. They certainly could have had other reasons too, but I think that was the main one. Also, the TV networks stepped in made some promises and waved some money around to the Big 12 to incentivize schools to stay in it and keep it together.

#2031610 - 06/18/18 12:44 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

ku is k-state's rival. there's no one heehaws loathe more. and ku pretentiousness to deny state is a primary rival only adds to the reality. i get that need, laughable as it is.
KU isn't pretentious about the fact that ksu is not a primary rival. We had/have 1 primary rival and that's mizzery. That's steeped in a long bloody history starting in the 1850's before there even was a KU. It's also steeped in the region (Eastern KS and Western MO) that provided the majority of KU's alumni and boosters over the decades, unlike ksu.

The majority of ksu alumni and boosters have traditionally come from the Western 2/3 of the state of Kansas where the history and rivalry with mizzery is much more removed which left in-state KU as their sole object of rivalry. Only a minority of KU's alumni and boosters come from this region and for them ksu may be seen as a primary rival, but that's still a small minority of overall KU alumni and boosters. There's no deep history rooted in blood and real life animus there, so there's nowhere near the same emotion or vigor for the rivalry from KU's standpoint as there is for the slavers to the east. Hell, KU had been playing mizzery every year for 20 years already in football before we began playing ksu on an annual basis.

That's why mizzery was/is our sole primary rival and it has nothing to do with KU being pretentious.

#2031612 - 06/18/18 12:50 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Having grown up in Lawrence and hearing the history of the town, can't imagine a truer, more real rival than Misery. And the entire state to boot.

KSU is just not in the category of rival. But totally get the smaller kids on the block crying when bigger kids won't play nice with them.

#2031654 - 06/19/18 09:48 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

"The Wildcats are not only healthy and backed by Wade and Barry Brown, but they also might become the team rival Kansas must go through to secure another Big 12 title."

espn thinks not

#2031661 - 06/19/18 12:08 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
track Offline
gale sayers

So if ESPN says it ... it must be so? You are such an idiot...

#2031662 - 06/19/18 12:35 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Well I think there is a difference between historical and yearly rivals KU will have a rival in whoever is challenging for the title each year. Last year it was Tech. That was the game to get up for because they were challenging for the title. KSU will probably be that type of rival this next year because they may be the second best team in the conference.

As for historical rivalry Missouri throws a big shadow across all other teams. It is Hatfield and McCoy type of stuff, and it is passed down. When i first came to KU from Chicago I would not have thought the rivalry with MU would be a big deal. Then you are taught the history, how its roots go back before the start of the Civil War and it goes back to actual armed conflict. Then you notice their players being dirty and how they hate us as much as we hate them. I almost got my ass kicked at a Missouri game for just wearing KU gear. That has never happened when I have been at KSU games in KU gear. I don't know of a rivalry quite like it. I am a Bears fan and the rivalry with the Packers is huge. However when yiu measure it against the history of the KU/MU rivalry it falls short.

When measured against the Missouri rivalry the competition with any other school falls short.

Sorry Tim you guys are just annoying but I don't hate you.

#2031663 - 06/19/18 12:39 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Granny Hawkins thoughts on Missouri

https://youtu.be/YWtUL5Rx364

#2031698 - 06/20/18 10:25 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: track]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
So if ESPN says it ... it must be so? You are such an idiot...

i would not call you an idiot, perhaps a dolt though.

anyway, it's customary for haughty fans of the other school to deny what is obvious to everyone. it's part of trying so hard to convince themselves of their superior nature, after all, to deny the rivalry.

but to suggest k-state is not ku's rival is ludicrous as shown by the espn piece above and any number of others including words from bill (him)self. perhaps he's the idiot, and i'm in good company?

bill says it's unquestionable

#2031707 - 06/20/18 12:05 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
track Offline
gale sayers

You just don’t get it. Technically speaking every team in the big 12 is our rival as we are all competing for the conference championship. Kstate is nothing special in that regard. MU was a rivalry based on a long history which has been well documented here.

Edited by track (06/20/18 12:06 PM)

#2031708 - 06/20/18 12:55 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: track]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
You just don’t get it. Technically speaking every team in the big 12 is our rival as we are all competing for the conference championship. Kstate is nothing special in that regard. MU was a rivalry based on a long history which has been well documented here.

no one ever wrote that mu isn't ku's rival in spite of ku refusal to play them anymore, which is rather odd, in my view. however, what's at debate here is not missouri but whether bill self is a liar calling k-state ku's rival.

of course, it's ludicrous to argue otherwise, isn't it. but when one says a lie over and over again, sooner or later that person and others by extension start believing it's true. it's known as the illusionary truth effect in science.

#2031711 - 06/20/18 01:15 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

What buffoon purple pig farmers like you have your heads clear up your ass about is the fact that you all are a secondary rival for us and as such it doesn't mean nearly as much to us as it would if you were a primary rival. You all got nuthin else in the way of rivalries in the history of your school. KU is it for you all, so you put all your passion and energy into it every year, meanwhile KU fans only think about you all on the day of or week leading up to a game with you and that's about it. That fact drives you inbred red necks crazy cause you obsess about KU just about everyday of the year.

You can bi|tch and complain about it and call us KU fans all the names you want, but it doesn't and won't change the way we view all you overcompensating little brother type purple pig farmer fans. Just like little weeny dogs nipping at our heels, you're a nuisance at best to most KU fans.

#2031712 - 06/20/18 01:26 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

With apologies to all little weiner dogs to be compared to dense KSU fans.

#2031716 - 06/20/18 01:31 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

tmcats is more of a weeny than a wiener dog.

#2031717 - 06/20/18 01:40 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

i'm with the big dog, bill self, on this one. k-state's the rival now. missouri is like aTm to texas. but in your defense, kman, you'll never lose to missouri again. so, in keeping with ku culture, it's a safe space for y'all.

#2031726 - 06/20/18 02:55 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's called coach speak and Bigdogjac is the big dog around here.

#2031750 - 06/20/18 05:30 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I don't know how to put it that you would understand it Tim, but for me and the KU fans I know. It is not a big deal. I almost wish it was. If KSU is going to be that good in basketball this year and challenging KU for the title this year it would make it more of a rivalry for this year in particular. Overall I don't get excited for the KSU game weeks in advance. After a KSU game is over I do not think about it that much.

Maybe here is a way to put it in perspective for you. I think of KSU and WSU about the same light, and in about the same way.

To me I look at Kentucky and Duke being more of rivals because we are all blue bloods.

Let me reiterate a prior comment. Competitively this is NOT a rivalry. KSU has destroyed KU in football, and KU is 59 and 5 against KSU in basketball since 1994. Maybe if KU starts winning some games against KSU in football and vice versa in basketball the rivalry will pick up.

Right now it is just not there. Not from KU's perspective. Sorry

#2031770 - 06/21/18 10:54 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: moose1]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

moose, well put. i admit that beating ku in football is no big deal. losing to them would be though, i remember prince. and so it is with hoops on your side. yes, some competitive balance would bring the venom back, methinks.

#2031771 - 06/21/18 11:46 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

There NEVER has been any venom in this secondary rivalry, except from the KU obsessed little brother syndrome suffering pig farmer types.

#2031776 - 06/21/18 03:31 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
There NEVER has been any venom in this secondary rivalry, except from the KU obsessed little brother syndrome suffering pig farmer types.

keep saying that over and over again. it helps you believe it's true. science.

The illusory truth effect is the tendency to believe information to be correct after repeated exposure. This phenomenon was first identified in a 1977 study at Villanova University and Temple University.

#2031783 - 06/21/18 10:55 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

OK denius, lay out some examples of KU venom towards ksu in history. All the examples in my lifetime are from ksu towards KU and none the other way around.

Yip yip yip all you want, still doesn't change the facts about it meaning a ton more to you purple tards than it does to KU fans.

#2031794 - 06/22/18 02:38 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

#2031795 - 06/22/18 03:05 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LOL

Yeah, so much venom in those drunken students celebrating only the 2nd win in 14 tries against old balls. Nobody likes to lose to anyone that many times.

Doesn't even come close to a sniff of any venom or anything at all like the star trek dick move by the ksu band a couple years ago at a game where you weren't even playing us! Now that's some true venom and obsessive inferiority complex at work there.

Nor even the throwing of batteries at our bball players just after a game a few different years in manshathole or the many other litany of things ksu fans have done over the years of similar ilk.

Try again.

#2031809 - 06/22/18 10:30 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

There’s nothing like cornhole KSU types thinking a jab at KU football is witty.

#2031812 - 06/23/18 09:43 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I find it hard to forget and forgive the shower of whiskey bottles hurled into our fan section at the hole in the ground back in 82. Dumb ass Cat's though, some bottles were still full. In any event, a bunch of folks got hurt that night. Saw a crazed kittie even steal a KU band members hat. Oh well, it was on nationwide TV so the litterbox wanted the world to see just how classy they are.

82 was a good year for the kitties though, first bowl game ever. Made many in the old Big-8 a bit nervous though, we were afraid that Cat fans would start throwing weedeaters on the field as each season progressed.............. laugh

#2031815 - 06/23/18 03:57 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think it is funny Timmy thinks KU fans are arrogant and pretentious. Yet he tells us how we should think and feel. Now that is pretentious!

In all seriousness lay off Timmy I think he is going to cry. Let him live in his own world as he always does.

#2031828 - Yesterday at 10:49 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: moose1]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

I think it is funny Timmy thinks KU fans are arrogant and pretentious. Yet he tells us how we should think and feel. Now that is pretentious!

In all seriousness lay off Timmy I think he is going to cry. Let him live in his own world as he always does.

mancrappin, k-suck, old balls, hole in the ground stadium, and like talk makes one think arrogance of ku fans.

#2031829 - Yesterday at 11:32 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: beenahawk]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I find it hard to forget and forgive the shower of whiskey bottles hurled into our fan section at the hole in the ground back in 82. Dumb ass Cat's though, some bottles were still full. In any event, a bunch of folks got hurt that night. Saw a crazed kittie even steal a KU band members hat. Oh well, it was on nationwide TV so the litterbox wanted the world to see just how classy they are.

82 was a good year for the kitties though, first bowl game ever. Made many in the old Big-8 a bit nervous though, we were afraid that Cat fans would start throwing weedeaters on the field as each season progressed.............. laugh

As a kid back in the 70's I went to a lot of KSU games in Manhattan. Most of my friends are KSU alums or fans. I went to two football camps in the Vince Gibson days. I went to the Independence Bowl and the Copper Bowl with my friends. I was in Manhattan for a KSU KU game in Mangino's first or second year. We were meeting our friends in Aggieville like we had dozens of times before. My wife and I got a rude reception in Rusty's while waiting for our friends to arrive. We were wearing our KU gear. Then the game happened. We started having objects land around us. Wadded up paper. Hotdog pieces, etc...We got up and left our friends, rather than me turning into Custer. I haven't been back since. I hope I never see that behavior in Lawrence. I would try to stop it if I ever do.

#2031836 - Yesterday at 05:28 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Goober]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

clearly, not a rivalry.

#2031850 - Today at 12:23 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

mancrappin, k-suck, old balls, hole in the ground stadium, and like talk makes one think arrogance of ku fans.

Accurate descriptions...like saying that pointing out the sky is blue makes you hate us!

RCJHKU!

#2031852 - Today at 01:24 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: KUHawkhead]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

arrogant.

Accurate descriptions...like saying that pointing out the sky is blue makes you hate us!

RCJHKU!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview