Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2031608 - 06/18/18 12:28 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: tmcats
nice recap, kman. why did a.d. lew perkins not go after a big 10 slot if it was such a great deal for ku like so many jayhawk fans claim? any recollection? he came out in favor of this league staying together at the time it was in so much turmoil as nebraska and others bolted.
Big 10 has sent out feelers to KU off and on for nearly 20 years now, but obviously nothing has happened. At the time the Big 10 commissioner was lobbying for KU to get an invite but Indiana, and Illinois and I believe 1 other school were pushing back hard against it at the time. I think they saw KU as a threat to their school's potential sports competitiveness and success, especially in basketball of course. They certainly could have had other reasons too, but I think that was the main one. Also, the TV networks stepped in made some promises and waved some money around to the Big 12 to incentivize schools to stay in it and keep it together.

#2031610 - 06/18/18 12:44 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: tmcats
ku is k-state's rival. there's no one heehaws loathe more. and ku pretentiousness to deny state is a primary rival only adds to the reality. i get that need, laughable as it is.
KU isn't pretentious about the fact that ksu is not a primary rival. We had/have 1 primary rival and that's mizzery. That's steeped in a long bloody history starting in the 1850's before there even was a KU. It's also steeped in the region (Eastern KS and Western MO) that provided the majority of KU's alumni and boosters over the decades, unlike ksu.

The majority of ksu alumni and boosters have traditionally come from the Western 2/3 of the state of Kansas where the history and rivalry with mizzery is much more removed which left in-state KU as their sole object of rivalry. Only a minority of KU's alumni and boosters come from this region and for them ksu may be seen as a primary rival, but that's still a small minority of overall KU alumni and boosters. There's no deep history rooted in blood and real life animus there, so there's nowhere near the same emotion or vigor for the rivalry from KU's standpoint as there is for the slavers to the east. Hell, KU had been playing mizzery every year for 20 years already in football before we began playing ksu on an annual basis.

That's why mizzery was/is our sole primary rival and it has nothing to do with KU being pretentious.

#2031612 - 06/18/18 12:50 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Having grown up in Lawrence and hearing the history of the town, can't imagine a truer, more real rival than Misery. And the entire state to boot.

KSU is just not in the category of rival. But totally get the smaller kids on the block crying when bigger kids won't play nice with them.

#2031654 - 06/19/18 09:48 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
"The Wildcats are not only healthy and backed by Wade and Barry Brown, but they also might become the team rival Kansas must go through to secure another Big 12 title."

espn thinks not

#2031661 - 06/19/18 12:08 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
So if ESPN says it ... it must be so? You are such an idiot...

#2031662 - 06/19/18 12:35 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Well I think there is a difference between historical and yearly rivals KU will have a rival in whoever is challenging for the title each year. Last year it was Tech. That was the game to get up for because they were challenging for the title. KSU will probably be that type of rival this next year because they may be the second best team in the conference.

As for historical rivalry Missouri throws a big shadow across all other teams. It is Hatfield and McCoy type of stuff, and it is passed down. When i first came to KU from Chicago I would not have thought the rivalry with MU would be a big deal. Then you are taught the history, how its roots go back before the start of the Civil War and it goes back to actual armed conflict. Then you notice their players being dirty and how they hate us as much as we hate them. I almost got my ass kicked at a Missouri game for just wearing KU gear. That has never happened when I have been at KSU games in KU gear. I don't know of a rivalry quite like it. I am a Bears fan and the rivalry with the Packers is huge. However when yiu measure it against the history of the KU/MU rivalry it falls short.

When measured against the Missouri rivalry the competition with any other school falls short.

Sorry Tim you guys are just annoying but I don't hate you.

#2031663 - 06/19/18 12:39 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Granny Hawkins thoughts on Missouri

https://youtu.be/YWtUL5Rx364

#2031698 - 06/20/18 10:25 AM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: track]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
So if ESPN says it ... it must be so? You are such an idiot...

i would not call you an idiot, perhaps a dolt though.

anyway, it's customary for haughty fans of the other school to deny what is obvious to everyone. it's part of trying so hard to convince themselves of their superior nature, after all, to deny the rivalry.

but to suggest k-state is not ku's rival is ludicrous as shown by the espn piece above and any number of others including words from bill (him)self. perhaps he's the idiot, and i'm in good company?

bill says it's unquestionable

#2031707 - 06/20/18 12:05 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
You just don’t get it. Technically speaking every team in the big 12 is our rival as we are all competing for the conference championship. Kstate is nothing special in that regard. MU was a rivalry based on a long history which has been well documented here.

Edited by track (06/20/18 12:06 PM)

#2031708 - 06/20/18 12:55 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: track]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
You just don’t get it. Technically speaking every team in the big 12 is our rival as we are all competing for the conference championship. Kstate is nothing special in that regard. MU was a rivalry based on a long history which has been well documented here.

no one ever wrote that mu isn't ku's rival in spite of ku refusal to play them anymore, which is rather odd, in my view. however, what's at debate here is not missouri but whether bill self is a liar calling k-state ku's rival.

of course, it's ludicrous to argue otherwise, isn't it. but when one says a lie over and over again, sooner or later that person and others by extension start believing it's true. it's known as the illusionary truth effect in science.

#2031711 - 06/20/18 01:15 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

What buffoon purple pig farmers like you have your heads clear up your ass about is the fact that you all are a secondary rival for us and as such it doesn't mean nearly as much to us as it would if you were a primary rival. You all got nuthin else in the way of rivalries in the history of your school. KU is it for you all, so you put all your passion and energy into it every year, meanwhile KU fans only think about you all on the day of or week leading up to a game with you and that's about it. That fact drives you inbred red necks crazy cause you obsess about KU just about everyday of the year.

You can bi|tch and complain about it and call us KU fans all the names you want, but it doesn't and won't change the way we view all you overcompensating little brother type purple pig farmer fans. Just like little weeny dogs nipping at our heels, you're a nuisance at best to most KU fans.

#2031712 - 06/20/18 01:26 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
With apologies to all little weiner dogs to be compared to dense KSU fans.

#2031716 - 06/20/18 01:31 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

tmcats is more of a weeny than a wiener dog.

#2031717 - 06/20/18 01:40 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

i'm with the big dog, bill self, on this one. k-state's the rival now. missouri is like aTm to texas. but in your defense, kman, you'll never lose to missouri again. so, in keeping with ku culture, it's a safe space for y'all.

#2031726 - 06/20/18 02:55 PM Re: big 12 revenue up again should help ku [Re: tmcats]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's called coach speak and Bigdogjac is the big dog around here.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview